What do you do? Driving question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What do you do? Driving question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:06 am

Yeah I make it my mission to never let the cutters in. If it's legitimate, fine, but if not, forget it. I've also been known in such situations to drive with 1/4 to 1/2 of my car in the actual lane, and the rest of the car in the merging lane, so people won't be tempted. }:-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:47 am

Big Pimpin wrote:Yeah I make it my mission to never let the cutters in. If it's legitimate, fine, but if not, forget it. I've also been known in such situations to drive with 1/4 to 1/2 of my car in the actual lane, and the rest of the car in the merging lane, so people won't be tempted. }:-)

I do the same. Many people, though, will simply drive off the road to get around.

Why some people think they're special enough to jump in line is crazy to me.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 am

Tavish wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Tavish wrote:I'm not sure what I would do, I'm always the one who will jump in the merge lane and try and get up in line as far as possible. Every once in a while you will get stuck and lose some time, but for the most part there are way to many wusses out there who will actually let you in. Other than slow drivers in the passing lane, nothing make me madder than when the car in front of me lets a cutter in, that kind of crap just encourages people to do it.

So it bothers you when people in front of you let people in, but yet you're one of those people who is always trying to get in at the last minute? Is that a double standard or what?

It might be a double standard. If I knew that people were not going to let me in I wouldn't do it. Maybe I'm just making myself feel better but I don't really see it as the cutters fault. If someone is going to be a jackass and actually let me in I'm not going to waste 15 minutes in line. If there were more people like Mookie then you wouldn't see it happen which is great by me.

Who's the real jackass here? The one being polite to someone trying to merge in with the rest of traffic or the guy whose time is so much more important than everyone elses? :-?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:21 pm

I run them over in either my Hummer or my Dodge Ram pickup. ;-D

If that doesn't work, or not satisfying enough at the time, I grab my gun and shoot out their tires. ;-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:25 pm

When your emotions control you, you have officially become a woman. !+)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:25 pm

Madison wrote:I run them over in either my Hummer or my Dodge Ram pickup. ;-D

If that doesn't work, or not satisfying enough at the time, I grab my gun and shoot out their tires. ;-D ;-D

Crazy Texans. :-b

This thread is kind of fun to read after the propaganda they've been feeding us at Drivers Ed.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:30 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Tavish wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Tavish wrote:I'm not sure what I would do, I'm always the one who will jump in the merge lane and try and get up in line as far as possible. Every once in a while you will get stuck and lose some time, but for the most part there are way to many wusses out there who will actually let you in. Other than slow drivers in the passing lane, nothing make me madder than when the car in front of me lets a cutter in, that kind of crap just encourages people to do it.

So it bothers you when people in front of you let people in, but yet you're one of those people who is always trying to get in at the last minute? Is that a double standard or what?

It might be a double standard. If I knew that people were not going to let me in I wouldn't do it. Maybe I'm just making myself feel better but I don't really see it as the cutters fault. If someone is going to be a jackass and actually let me in I'm not going to waste 15 minutes in line. If there were more people like Mookie then you wouldn't see it happen which is great by me.

Who's the real jackass here? The one being polite to someone trying to merge in with the rest of traffic or the guy whose time is so much more important than everyone elses? :-?

Hehe, that actually reminds me of right when I got out of high school. Two friends of mine worked at the same place I did and we got off work at 4PM and had to deal with rush hour traffic going through downtown KC. We all headed the same basic direction out of town so we would help each other get through the traffic. Whenever the guy in front would make his way into a merge he would stop until the other two could get in front of him and join the lane. You wouldn't believe how many vile names and obscene gestures we would get. Man that was fun.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:37 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Madison wrote:I run them over in either my Hummer or my Dodge Ram pickup. ;-D

Crazy Texans. :-b

This thread is kind of fun to read after the propaganda they've been feeding us at Drivers Ed.

Oh, and I forgot, if I'm in the Ram, the bed of the truck is full of beer cans and bottles that I'd throw at them too. ;-D

Everything I've written in this thread up to this point is obviously in a poor attempt at humor.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:40 pm

Well, seeing how bad traffic is in these parts, I'll let him have it. The lane, that is. You're not going anywhere and so what's the point of defending a spot that's barely at car's length. Plus, a honking is a bad practice in LA. Road rage occurrences are rare in LA, but they happen, and so honking and flipping the bird on a crowded freeway isn't going to get you shot at, but it could happen if you pass the bottleneck.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 662)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:54 pm

I have started letting them in as it seems to help traffic flow move along. In the past I have thrown Cheerios at people doing this and held them off and all of that and, particularly after watching other traffic, I don't think that 'blocking' really helps traffic move and I suspect that the sudden braking that it engenders actually slows traffic a bit.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk