What do you do? Driving question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What do you do? Driving question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you do? Driving question

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:28 am

You are driving along a multi-lane highway in the right hand lane.

There is a merge lane to your right. This kind:

The traffic is bumper to bumper. Looking in your rearview mirror you see a car jump out of your lane speed up the merge lane and try to get in your lane in front of you.

Do you let him in or do you keep so close to the bumper of the guy in front of you that he can't squeeze in?

I always allow mergers in front of me if they are legitimately merging into my lane. But somebody who jumps out of my lane to sneak in front of me I never allow in. I did this today and the guy trying to get in front of me got all pissed off and gave me the finger 8-o
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What do you do? Driving question

Postby thedude » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:53 am

Mookie4ever wrote:You are driving along a multi-lane highway in the right hand lane.

There is a merge lane to your right. This kind:

The traffic is bumper to bumper. Looking in your rearview mirror you see a car jump out of your lane speed up the merge lane and try to get in your lane in front of you.

Do you let him in or do you keep so close to the bumper of the guy in front of you that he can't squeeze in?

I always allow mergers in front of me if they are legitimately merging into my lane. But somebody who jumps out of my lane to sneak in front of me I never allow in. I did this today and the guy trying to get in front of me got all pissed off and gave me the finger 8-o

Did you expect mature behavior from an adult who never learned not to cut in line?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:03 am

I'm not sure what I would do, I'm always the one who will jump in the merge lane and try and get up in line as far as possible. Every once in a while you will get stuck and lose some time, but for the most part there are way to many wusses out there who will actually let you in. Other than slow drivers in the passing lane, nothing make me madder than when the car in front of me lets a cutter in, that kind of crap just encourages people to do it.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:13 am

I always get this urge to bump them with a little side swipe when they try to crowd me to cut in but invariably these guys drive crap boxes. I'm just happy that people in Canada don't drive with handguns. Cell phones are a big enough problem, I can't imagine having to deal with guys who drive with one hand on the wheel and one hand on their gun.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:15 am

Tavish wrote:I'm not sure what I would do, I'm always the one who will jump in the merge lane and try and get up in line as far as possible. Every once in a while you will get stuck and lose some time, but for the most part there are way to many wusses out there who will actually let you in. Other than slow drivers in the passing lane, nothing make me madder than when the car in front of me lets a cutter in, that kind of crap just encourages people to do it.

So it bothers you when people in front of you let people in, but yet you're one of those people who is always trying to get in at the last minute? Is that a double standard or what?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Re: What do you do? Driving question

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:19 am

Mookie4ever wrote:I always allow mergers in front of me if they are legitimately merging into my lane. But somebody who jumps out of my lane to sneak in front of me I never allow in. I did this today and the guy trying to get in front of me got all pissed off and gave me the finger 8-o
I wouldn't have let him in either. I have the same opinion. If they were in the far lane to start and trying to merge I let them in but if they are jump over to gain a few spots I'm not budging.

Also my wife hates this but if someone tries to merge without signaling I won't let them in. All I'm asking is that they use the blinker.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:24 am

slomo007 wrote:
Tavish wrote:I'm not sure what I would do, I'm always the one who will jump in the merge lane and try and get up in line as far as possible. Every once in a while you will get stuck and lose some time, but for the most part there are way to many wusses out there who will actually let you in. Other than slow drivers in the passing lane, nothing make me madder than when the car in front of me lets a cutter in, that kind of crap just encourages people to do it.

So it bothers you when people in front of you let people in, but yet you're one of those people who is always trying to get in at the last minute? Is that a double standard or what?

Yeah, really. 8-o
Last edited by teddy ballgame on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:25 am

slomo007 wrote:

No hes saying the guy behind him jumps lanes to get ahead of him...

But Id just jump right in and let him rear end me if hes gonna...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:47 am

in principle, NEVER let them in. However, depending on what kind of car you have and what kind of car they have and if it looks like they don't bother with auto insurance, adjust your behavior accordingly. cabbies are tough to box out, but i'm getting better all the time.

It also helps to have a solid understanding of your car's physical presence. if you are a good parallel parker, then you have this. i can afford to ride real close to jerkface without paying too close of attention that it distracts me from keeping him out b/c i have an accurate sense of how close he is to my passenger side.

In high school i once threw open my passenger door to someone driving up a shoulder. They stopped. }:-)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:47 am

slomo007 wrote:

It might be a double standard. If I knew that people were not going to let me in I wouldn't do it. Maybe I'm just making myself feel better but I don't really see it as the cutters fault. If someone is going to be a jackass and actually let me in I'm not going to waste 15 minutes in line. If there were more people like Mookie then you wouldn't see it happen which is great by me.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to General Talk