In the Wake of Lidle's Death - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In the Wake of Lidle's Death

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:27 pm

Here is a list of athletes who have been killed in plane crashes. I didn't realize there were some many (dating all the way back to a Reds player in 1925)

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2622075
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:18 pm

1337_Dude wrote:This made me start wondering and thanks to a few google searches we have a few answers.

http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/0328/1163463.html

The NHL and NBA have the most helpful, while the NFL is pretty hard on the team and well, who knows about MLB.

Thanks for looking that up! ;-D

Am I the only one that thinks that the powers that be in baseball act just like a Republican-controlled government? “Well, we certainly have something in place, but we don’t want to say what it is?” “But, sir, I’m just asking about the dinner plans for the convention this weekend.”

Seriously. Why keep that secret? It is completely unnecessary to withhold that information from anyone, and it only makes you look like a jerk.

:-t
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:41 pm

BritSox wrote:It happened a couple of times in soccer. The famous Munich Air Disaster of 1958 when 23 people including eight Manchester United players were killed when their plane crashed taking off from the runway at Munich Airport being the most notable.

Bingo, those were the famous Busby Babes, dubbed after legendary United manager Matt Busby, with most or all of them taken tragically so, while in the primes of their careers. But yeah, a tragedy of this magnitude is very rare because air travel, in general, relative to automotive and rail transport, is significantly safer. In the case of Cory Lidle, he was a beginner pilot, flying a plane that's recommended more for intermediate flyers.

Keeping things in perspective, Cory's death was equally shocking as WWE's Eddie Guerrero's in November of last year.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby ZAZ » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:18 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
BritSox wrote:
Keeping things in perspective, Cory's death was equally shocking as WWE's Eddie Guerrero's in November of last year.

Really?? You think? Don't those wrestlers die early of heart problems (ect.) all the time? Lidle crashed into a Manhattan high rise with a plane. Eddie died in a hotel room after years of drug and alcohol abuse. I don't think to the two are equal, but that's just my opinion.
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:02 pm

ZAZ wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Really?? You think? Don't those wrestlers die early of heart problems (ect.) all the time? Lidle crashed into a Manhattan high rise with a plane. Eddie died in a hotel room after years of drug and alcohol abuse. I don't think to the two are equal, but that's just my opinion.

I meant that in my opinion, Cory's death was just as shocking (not similar in the way they past away) as Eddie Guerrero's.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:51 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
ZAZ wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
BritSox wrote:

I meant that in my opinion, Cory's death was just as shocking (not similar in the way they past away) as Eddie Guerrero's.

Eddie Guerrero's dead?

Who's Eddie Guerrero?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:58 pm

Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
ZAZ wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Eddie Guerrero's dead?

Who's Eddie Guerrero?

Hahahahaha..... I was thinking the same thing.... :-?

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:18 pm

J35J wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
ZAZ wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
BritSox wrote:

Eddie Guerrero's dead?

Who's Eddie Guerrero?

Hahahahaha..... I was thinking the same thing.... :-?

Jason

Eddie Guerrero was a reckless matador who dressed up like Robin Hood and shot bulls with arrows at point-blank range as a cathartic and symbolic display because his senorita broke his heart and left her.

If I could be serious for a minute, check this out vatos locos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Guerrero

There's your answer. ;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:28 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Eddie Guerrero was a reckless matador who dressed up like Robin Hood and shot bulls with arrows at point-blank range as a cathartic and symbolic display because his senorita broke his heart and left her.

If I could be serious for a minute, check this out vatos locos:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Guerrero

There's your answer. ;-D

Oh man, so that first paragraph wasn't serious? That's WAY more interesting :-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:29 am

Nack on topic, I have thought about this numerous times.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers