In the Wake of Lidle's Death - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In the Wake of Lidle's Death

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mak1277 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:18 am

StlSluggers wrote:
BritSox wrote:I was under the impression that any contract is null and void upon one of the parties becoming deceased, so it wouldn't be an issue.

I know that, legally speaking, an offer is null and void if the offeror passes away, but I believe the terms of a contract aren't necessarily effected by death unless the contract is worded as such.

I'm sure the contracts are non-assignable from the players' standpoint.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Smileyman9 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:46 pm

It's weird, for some reason I always presumed that players didn't all go on one plane. I I think I envisioned it kind of like what the WWE wrestlers do, which is for the most part find their own way to the house shows on the schedule (whether it be plane, car rental, or personal jet pack).

I'm guessing with athletes that type of freedom would be more needed especially when travelling from home, or someplace where they know people because it'd allow them time to visit and spend time before leaving. So as long as they take the necessary steps to ensure they're at the game on time I'd think they can take whatever flight they wish.

Completely nothing to do with this thread thought that I remembered whie writing it: When I went to my first MLB game about 4 years ago *(yeah, I was 21 when I went to my first MLB game..living so close to NYC I'm a slacker) I saw TB take on the Yankees....Huff was not able to make it to the game because the area around his house had been flooded and he couldn't get out. I also got to see Sweet Lou throw Upton in the game the 9th inning as a pinch hitter for pretty much no reason because the Drays lost the lead...
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ZAZ » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:50 pm

My prayers are, as so many of you on the other thread, with the Lidle family.

My thoughts yesterday were about how most major league players aren't allowed to ride a motorcycle per their contract, yet Lidle was allowed to be a novice pilot. I find this shocking. Moreover, it's amazing that the Yankees of all teams voided a contract for Boone for playing BASKETBALL just a couple years ago, but let this activity to happen. 8-o

Just my reaction, coupled with real sadness.
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Smileyman9 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:52 pm

My thoughts yesterday were about how most major league players aren't allowed to ride a motorcycle per their contract, yet Lidle was allowed to be a novice pilot. I find this shocking. Moreover, it's amazing that the Yankees of all teams voided a contract for Boone for playing BASKETBALL just a couple years ago, but let this activity to happen. bigeyes.gif

Just my reaction, coupled with real sadness.

Phillies had a clause in his contract saying that if he was injured or killed they didn't have to pay the remainder of his contract. Obviously, the contract is up...so he's already been paid.
Smileyman9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby stumpak » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:20 pm

My recollection from when the Angels where in a serious bus crash about 10 years ago that MLB, like other professional sports, has a provision that a special draft is held if some percentage of a team's roster is killed or disabled due to a plane crash, bus crash, etc.

It would not be the case that the AAA team plays out the season.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:35 pm

the oklahoma state basketball team's plane crashed and they lost a bunch of staff members and i think a few players a few years back...yes the thought is definitely there and it is quite scary.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:40 pm

It is not liekly that a team plane will crash. You don't hear about commerical airplanes crashing often.

Lidle was a new flyer in a small plane that is much more dangerous to fly in.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AdvRider » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:46 pm

cordscords wrote:I remember George bringing this up on Seinfeld when he was talking to Keith Hernandez.

Zackly .... I was going to point that out. It was in a gym locker room and George kind of butted in on a conversation between between Jerry and Hernandez.

They just stared at him, like, what kind of jackass are you?! With no comment.

Great classic Seinfeld humor ... though from the other angle it's not funny at all.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:52 pm

Well usually they fly on the smaller private/charter jets all together, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. The first thing I thought of was the Oklahoma State crash a few years ago as well. I don't know, it makes me so sad just thinking about it that I don't want to. But you do wonder what kind of procedures exactly are in place if it were to happen. :-/ :,-(
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby 1337_Dude » Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:14 pm

This made me start wondering and thanks to a few google searches we have a few answers.

http://espn.go.com/gen/s/2001/0328/1163463.html

The NHL and NBA have the most helpful, while the NFL is pretty hard on the team and well, who knows about MLB.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers