formula help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

formula help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

formula help

Postby markj11 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:26 pm

My league has the following catagories and I was wandering the best way to come up with players values.
Batter Cats: 1B, 2B, 3B, R, HR, RBI, SB, K, BB, AVG, OPS
Pitching Cats: W, SV, SHO, CG, K, BB, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

I was just using
(1B+2B+3B+HR+R+RBI+SB+AVG+OPS+BB-K)/AB
and
(W+SV+SHO+CG+K+ERA+WHIP+K/9+K/BB-BB)/IP

Pretty straight foward so I would like an experts advise.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2112
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

This is not an easy question to answer. There have been quite a few threads on this topic. I believe Madison has a few of them bookmarked in his FAQ forum.

That formula you listed won't work too well because it assumes that each unit of each category is equally valuable which isn't true. AVG, for example, is going to be severely undervalued using that formula.
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Postby Nerfherders » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:38 pm

Go here:

http://www.baseballmonster.com

It has all the stat categories that you describe, except for singles. You can get a pretty good idea of value from it.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 668
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby markj11 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:49 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Go here:

http://www.baseballmonster.com

It has all the stat categories that you describe, except for singles. You can get a pretty good idea of value from it.


Thanks.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2112
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Postby DK » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:07 pm

I think the easiest thing to do (and even this is difficult) is to make an excel sheet and for each separate player put their totals over the average starter or replacement level player at that position. One of those two, doesn't really matter which.

For instance, say the average 1B in your league (assuming your league is 5x5 in this case) hit .275, 25 HR, 80 R, 80 RBI, 5 SB. Now, you have 2 first basemen - One hits .290, 20 HR, 90 R, 75 RBI, 10 SB, and the other hits .250, 40 HR, 80 R, 100 RBI, 0 SB. You'd then divide by the amount of categories (in this case 5).

For these players, the formula would be:
Player 1 - ((.290/.275)+(20/25)+(90/80)+(75/80)+(10/5)), all divided by 5.
Player 2 - ((.250/.275)+(40/25)+(80/80)+(100/80)+(0/5)), all divided by 5.

Now this has obvious flaws, but it's a quick and dirty method to give you an idea where your players stand. You'll also have to take into account your team needs and such.

(Player 1 is more valuable according to that system, FWIW.)
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby DK » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:09 pm

I would also like to note that since SB's are a huge variant, it may be easier to leave them out of statistical observation such as this, and add in their value after calculating the others.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby markj11 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:05 am

How do I find out the avgerages for each position. I would really like to come up with something for next year because I went into this years draft basically thinking 5X5 and did good in those cats but not so good in the others.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2112
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Postby markj11 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:53 am

DK wrote:I think the easiest thing to do (and even this is difficult) is to make an excel sheet and for each separate player put their totals over the average starter or replacement level player at that position. One of those two, doesn't really matter which.

For instance, say the average 1B in your league (assuming your league is 5x5 in this case) hit .275, 25 HR, 80 R, 80 RBI, 5 SB. Now, you have 2 first basemen - One hits .290, 20 HR, 90 R, 75 RBI, 10 SB, and the other hits .250, 40 HR, 80 R, 100 RBI, 0 SB. You'd then divide by the amount of categories (in this case 5).

For these players, the formula would be:
Player 1 - ((.290/.275)+(20/25)+(90/80)+(75/80)+(10/5)), all divided by 5.
Player 2 - ((.250/.275)+(40/25)+(80/80)+(100/80)+(0/5)), all divided by 5.

Now this has obvious flaws, but it's a quick and dirty method to give you an idea where your players stand. You'll also have to take into account your team needs and such.

(Player 1 is more valuable according to that system, FWIW.)


How do you take in to account the number of at bats?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2112
Joined: 3 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Wright here

Postby RugbyD » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:20 pm

DK wrote:I would also like to note that since SB's are a huge variant, it may be easier to leave them out of statistical observation such as this, and add in their value after calculating the others.

good point. what i generally do is severely discount the value fo SB for C and 1B and moderatley for 3B.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby United_I_Stand » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:01 pm

mathmatically speaking

calcuating value as a sum of the ratio's of cat/mean doesn't take into account the fact that different catergories are spread to varying degrees

for instance

compare

.290 avg with 5sb's (gives ratios of 1.074 and 1)
.250 avg with 10sb's (gives 0.93 and 2)

in fantasy is a drop of 40 points worth 5 sb's? nope, but infact the guy with sb's gets double the value almost according to this calc.

what you need to do is this sum:

sum of:

(score in a catergory - mean in the catergory) / standard deviation of that catergory

that'd give a fairer comparison of the stats. where you get the means and standard deviations from i don't know.

hope this makes sense!
United_I_Stand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 89
Joined: 8 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Manchester, UK

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact