Offseason Yankees changes? (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Offseason Yankees changes? (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should Torre stay or go?

Stay
67%
Go
33%

Total votes : 15

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:15 pm

Whether you want them or not a lot of these guys are coming back due to contracts/no trade clauses so we're going to have to grin and bear it.

Starters
C-Jorge Posada
1B-
2B-Robinson Cano
3B-
SS-Derek Jeter
LF-Hideki Matsui
CF-Johnny Damon
RF-Bobby Abreu
DH-Jason Giambi

Bench-

C-Sal Fasano
IF-Miguel Cairo
IF-Andy Phillips
OF-Melky Cabrera
OF-Bernie Williams

Starting Pitching

1)C.Wang
2)R.Johnson
3)
4)
5)

Bullpen
1)M.Rivera
2)S.Proctor
3)B.Bruney
4)M.Myers
5)R.Villone
6)Long Reliever/Spot Starter

Some definite changes need to be made.Here's a blue print of what I would do:

Say goodbye to:
1)Gary Sheffield(option @$13M)
2)Mike Mussina(option @ $17M)
3)Jaret Wright(option @ $7M)

Three trades I'd make:
1)Carl Pavano for Richie Sexson-Sexson is making ridiculous money(14M in 07 & 08) ,like Pavano,(10M in 07 & 11M in 08) & Seattle can use the pitching plus Broussard can put up good enough numbers.Sexson gives the Yanks a big right-handed bat & Pavano just needs to go at any cost as he is an embodiment of what is wrong with the Yankees:Players who are here for the money and not to win a championship.If not this specific trade, this is the kind of trade Yanks need to make to rid themselves of Pavano,one that brings back a big $$$ player.

2)A-Rod for Aramis Ramirez & Rich Hill-Another poster brought up this trade & I like it.Whether it's fair or not, it's becoming painfully obvious that A-Rod needs to go.Yanks would be foolish not to explore any deal involving A-Rod as he is their most marketable player,despite his salary(which Texas pays close to 1/2 of).

3)Kyle Farnsworth for a SP-Farnsworth can close for about 5-6 teams right now and w/ Proctor and Bruney setting up Mariano,a starter is more needed than Farnsworth.Where are teams looking for a closer going to find one for $5M next year?

If Mussina accepted less years & a lower $$$ figure I would bring him back.While not my favorite pitchers for fantasy purposes, Yanks should look at guys like Mark Mulder and Kerry Wood to round out the staff;I would sign them to incentive laden deals.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:20 pm

lol @ this thread
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jbones733 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:22 pm

theres not much they can do

no one is makin those trades, are you nuts ???

arod for kazmir, get real

even if yanks pay the money which they wont

only things that can be done are

Scheff gone

moose gone - why tho ??? just add pitching make him yur 3-4

maybe trade arod & thats a hassle in itslef

randy aint goin anywhere neither is giambi
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:23 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:lol @ this thread

This thread is what life in NY is going to be like for the next few months.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zevon » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:24 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:lol @ this thread

No sh*t, don't even let the body get cold. :-)
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:24 pm

Giambi is untradeable. Owed too much and no one is going to deal with it. Arod can be dealt since the Yanks pay 16 M a year on him. However, he has to agree to it and he would NEVER agree to go to TB.

Let's get realistic:

1. Fire Cashman and Joe Torre. They both deserve it.
2. Moose's contract is up. They were never going to pick up the option anyway. Now the debate is whether you want him back at all. If he wants a multi-year deal at his age and given his injury history, let him go. If he takes a "reasonable" 1 year deal fine. Bring him back as a 4th starter. He wants to play near home, so there are not going to be a lot of options for him unless he changes his mind.
3. A-Choke...Find someone that will pay top talent for him and who he would agree to go to. And by top talent I am not talking about E. Santana and some MR stiffs. I fhe refuses to go we are stuck, though the fans are going to make his life hell on earth in 2007 if he stays.
4. Sheff... Let him walk outright. If you can pick up the option and deal him for a couple of prospects, even better. He should be gone next season either way. Melky can start in left and Matsui can DH.
5. Wright...take the buy out and let him walk.
6. Lidle, Craig Wilson...see ya.
7. RJ...no one is taking him at the dollars he is getting and given the stinkitude. We might be able to deal him mid-season if we eat part of the contract remaining in exchange for a prospect or two, but I doubt it. One mor eyear to go and then we are rid of him.
8. Pavano..If we can eat part of the deal and get anything for him, do it. Good luck on that though.
9. The pitching is a mess. It might be time to go with a couple of guys like Hughes/Karstens/Rassner etc and just hope for the best. That or they are going to have to break the bank on Zito, which may or may not be a good idea. I really think they are more or less going to be screwed on the pitching no matter what they do, so they may as well go cheap.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby soxfan364 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm telling you, a bet an A-Rod for Manny deal gets worked out.... both teams looking to dump an expensive problem
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby jbones733 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:27 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Giambi is untradeable. Owed too much and no one is going to deal with it. Arod can be dealt since the Yanks pay 16 M a year on him. However, he has to agree to it and he would NEVER agree to go to TB.

Let's get realistic:

1. Fire Cashman and Joe Torre. They both deserve it.
2. Moose's contract is up. They were never going to pick up the option anyway. Now the debate is whether you want him back at all. If he wants a multi-year deal at his age and given his injury history, let him go. If he takes a "reasonable" 1 year deal fine. Bring him back as a 4th starter. He wants to play near home, so there are not going to be a lot of options for him unless he changes his mind.
3. A-Choke...Find someone that will pay top talent for him and who he would agree to go to. And by top talent I am not talking about E. Santana and some MR stiffs. I fhe refuses to go we are stuck, though the fans are going to make his life hell on earth in 2007 if he stays.
4. Sheff... Let him walk outright. If you can pick up the option and deal him for a couple of prospects, even better. He should be gone next season either way. Melky can start in left and Matsui can DH.
5. Wright...take the buy out and let him walk.
6. Lidle, Craig Wilson...see ya.
7. RJ...no one is taking him at the dollars he is getting and given the stinkitude. We might be able to deal him mid-season if we eat part of the contract remaining in exchange for a prospect or two, but I doubt it. One mor eyear to go and then we are rid of him.
8. Pavano..If we can eat part of the deal and get anything for him, do it. Good luck on that though.
9. The pitching is a mess. It might be time to go with a couple of guys like Hughes/Karstens/Rassner etc and just hope for the best. That or they are going to have to break the bank on Zito, which may or may not be a good idea. I really think they are more or less going to be screwed on the pitching no matter what they do, so they may as well go cheap.

those are very logical things, the pitching is a mess, better pray Hughes is the real deal
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:37 pm

soxfan364 wrote:I'm telling you, a bet an A-Rod for Manny deal gets worked out.... both teams looking to dump an expensive problem

I thought of that. Would be a great deal for the Yanks. But the Yanks do not need another OF so there really is no fit. Abreu, Damon and Matsui are under contract. Cabrera can serve as a cheap DH. I would think another 3b or a SP is going to be what they are looking for. Maybe ARam from the Cubs would be a nice fit given the contract situation there, but ARod would never agree to go to the Cubs imo.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:40 pm

soxfan364 wrote:I'm telling you, a bet an A-Rod for Manny deal gets worked out.... both teams looking to dump an expensive problem

And just where would Manny play on the Yankees?

And if they dealt ARod, they sure as hell wouldn't give him the chance to come back and haunt them in their own division.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers