Offseason Yankees changes? (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Offseason Yankees changes? (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should Torre stay or go?

Stay
67%
Go
33%

Total votes : 15

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:54 pm

Well I guess the biggest choke in sports history followed by 2 first round eliminations (the last of which was in embarrassing fashion) is not enough to get a manager fired these days. So what does Torre have to do to get canned? Kill a player maybe?

So next year we will see Bernie back.
We will see our MRs arms burned out again (expect Proctor's arm to fall off by June).
We will see the same losing attitude from more or less the same group of losers (Giambi, RJ, etc) with the exception of Sheff and Arod maybe.

Jaret Wright and Pavano and Womack gets the GM a contract extension and a raise and now this. Yes indeed.

As to who to bring back...why would anyone want to deal with Sheffield. So what if Boston signs him...they can have him. Almost as bad a choker as Arod and a trouble maker with a big mouth. Trade him if you can, but there is NO way Sheffield should be wearing a Yankee uniform come April.

As for Moose, why sign a 37 year old pitcher for 10+ M a year for 2-3 years? A pitcher that has proven to be a 6 inning guy, injury prone and who has also proven multiple times over the past couple of years that he can not hold the lead in the big game. That money if you want to spend it is better spent towards Zito imo. Not that I am recommending going after Zito, but there is no way I waste any money on Moose at this point.

Arod...bye bye. Have a nice day. Don't let the slamming door hit you on the way out to visit your shrink after you get dealt. No way this primadonna loser should be brought back. Gets some arms and some prospects.

Lidle..good bye.

Wright. Save the 3M and let him walk.

RJ...if you could find a taker even after eating a larger portion of the contract it would be a miracle. Best thing that could happen is he retires after the surgery and insurance pays 60-70 % or whatever it is of his contract as a result.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:18 pm

Anyone who thinks Mussina will sign for around $10 million is crazy. As a free agent if he goes anywhere south of $15 million I would be shocked, the same goes for Schmidt and Zito. Philip Hughes might be seeing Yankee Stadium fairly quickly.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:21 pm

Tavish wrote:Anyone who thinks Mussina will sign for around $10 million is crazy. As a free agent if he goes anywhere south of $15 million I would be shocked, the same goes for Schmidt and Zito. Philip Hughes might be seeing Yankee Stadium fairly quickly.

I could see Mussina signing for well under market value, if he stays with the Yankees. If memory serves, he represents himself and being content is much more important to him than many others.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:26 pm

Ack, that was supposed to say $13 million, not $15 million. Either way Mussina is going to be a free agent. The $17 million option just doesn't make any sense for the Yankees when they are going to need to fill so many holes.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:54 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Well I guess the biggest choke in sports history followed by 2 first round eliminations (the last of which was in embarrassing fashion) is not enough to get a manager fired these days. So what does Torre have to do to get canned? Kill a player maybe?

I think this is a case of "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know." To me, the time to fire Torre was after 2004 but if George didn't clip him after that debacle in 2004,it would seem that Torre will most likely survive anything;Reality is that enough people w/ clout on this team(ie-Brian Cashman & Steve Swindall) had his back.I can understand why people want him gone & if he was fired I wouldn't have a problem;I don't have a problem with him staying because IMO there are bigger problems on this team.A final note on Torre:He deserves all the accolades he gets but people can't have it both ways.Just as he rightfully gets his due for bringing 4 championships he needs to take hits for all these post-season debacles since 2002. It can't be credit Torre from 1996-2001 & blame the players from 2002-2006.

I agree with your other points;Torre needs to manage this bullpen better & that Sheff,Mussina, Wright et al need to go.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:15 pm

Tavish wrote:Ack, that was supposed to say $13 million, not $15 million. Either way Mussina is going to be a free agent. The $17 million option just doesn't make any sense for the Yankees when they are going to need to fill so many holes.

Agreed. I would just pass him up totally, even if a new contract demands a few less mill. He won't be worth anything more than a 1 year deal and that would probably be more costly even. Not to say I wouldn't sign him for something like $10M as posted above, but seems a little low with a 17M option looming.

Realistically, the Yankees should pick up Sheffields option and use him as the batting coach while Mattingly takes the reigns over at 1st base. The rotation could consist of Wang, Zito, Schmidt, Matsuzaka, and Randy Johnson. Re-sign Soriano to play 3rd and stick A-Rod as the batting coach and sign Mike Piazza to be the bullpen catcher. Michael Kay could also be moved from the booth to the bullpen.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:43 pm

A few things I think need to be said here.

First off, the Yankees have done an AMAZING job making the playoffs 11 years in a row. The whole organization deserves a lot of credit for this. And winning 4 World Series isn't too too bad either.

Secondly, the playoffs are pretty much a crapshoot anyways. Anything can happen in a 5-game or 7-game series, usually the tam that wins is just the team that happens to get hot. Winning division titles and regular-season games is the true test of how good a team is. Plus, there is much more involved in having a good record over 6 months than there is in winning a few playoff games.

Thirdly, this Yankees team is not in anywhere near as bad shape as what New York fans seem to think.

Mussina-no way they can sign him back at the option price of 17 or 19 million or whatever he'll get. The Yankees however, should try to resign him to a smaller deal, maybe something in the one-to-two-year deal around 8 to 9 million per...

Wright- keep him at $3M. People are going to be surprised by this, but he did post a 4.49 ERA this year. I'm sure they can use him somewhere, whether it be as a long man in the bullpen, an insurance starter, or a 5th starter in the rotation.

Octavio Dotel- This is someone that nobody has talked about yet but might be one of the most critical decisions the Yanks make this off-season. Dotel has the potential to be a dominant setup man in front of Mo. The Yanks should keep him and I don't imagine them having to pay more than a couple million dollars to keep him.

Lidle- I think he's gotta go. He's as worthless as Wright is, and it'd cost the Yanks more to keep Lidle than it would Weaver.

Villone- Pitched amazing all year, and really should have been the top left-hander in the bullpen instead of Mike Myers. His price would be somewhere around Dotel's I'd assume, but he might want more because he had such a good year this year. When I say he had a great year, I know he ended up with an ERA over 5, but he was awesome until Torre threw out his arm around the middle of August.
He's gotta be used as just a situational left-hander, not a long man anymore.

Craig Wilson- Could be worth bringing back. Could be used as a situational platoon guy along with Giambi because of how well he (Wilson) hits LHP. Also a much better defensive 1B than Giambi, and can be used in the OF as well. However, I think that the Yankees are better of saving the $3 million, keeping Andy Phillips, and spending the $3 mil on another decent RP.

Bernie- Yanks should definitely bring him back as a cheap 4th OF. Not many bench guys can bring the bat that Bernie does, nor can they bring the experience and presence in the clubhouse. Plus the fans love Bernie.

Which brings me to Gary Sheffield. The Yanks should pick up Sheffield's option and ....

TRADE him to the RED SOX for Mike Lowell.

The Yankees have too many OF around. Melky needs to get into the lineup as an everyday guy next year. Damon's contract is too long-term for anybody to want him. Yanks need Matsui so Georgie can get his $$ from the Asians, specifically the Japanese. So this means that Sheffield has to go. The Yankees could use a Lowell type of player. He had a very solid season last year, and he is a great defensive 3B. This gives the Yankees room to trade A-Rod, who has to go, sadly becausee the Yankee fans and media ran him out of NY simply because they don't like him.

Yankees would look like this:
3B-Lowell
LF-Matsui
CF-Damon
RF-Melky
4th OF-Bernie

Yankees also cut $4M in salary, which is a nice benefit.

Red Sox would be helped. Having Ortiz/Manny/Sheffield would be just plain scary. Biggest problem for the Red Sox would be defense. This is what I see the Red Sox looking like if they make this deal:

3B-Youk/on occasion Hinske
RF- Wily Mo/Sheffield
1B-Ortiz/Youk/Sheffield on occasion
DH-Sheffield usually, sometimes Ortiz

Biggest problem with this is that Ortiz would have to learn how to play 1B. But he has done it before during interleague play......
On a side note, I love Hinske, and I think the Sox should definitely keep him.

Long post.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:57 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:The Yankees have too many OF around. Melky needs to get into the lineup as an everyday guy next year. Damon's contract is too long-term for anybody to want him. Yanks need Matsui so Georgie can get his $$ from the Asians, specifically the Japanese. So this means that Sheffield has to go. The Yankees could use a Lowell type of player. He had a very solid season last year, and he is a great defensive 3B. This gives the Yankees room to trade A-Rod, who has to go, sadly becausee the Yankee fans and media ran him out of NY simply because they don't like him.

3B-Lowell
LF-Matsui
CF-Damon
RF-Melky
4th OF-Bernie

Forgetting about Bobby Baseball in RF next year. That and the Red Sox and Yankees would never trade.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:03 am

MMoNeY24 wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:The Yankees have too many OF around. Melky needs to get into the lineup as an everyday guy next year. Damon's contract is too long-term for anybody to want him. Yanks need Matsui so Georgie can get his $$ from the Asians, specifically the Japanese. So this means that Sheffield has to go. The Yankees could use a Lowell type of player. He had a very solid season last year, and he is a great defensive 3B. This gives the Yankees room to trade A-Rod, who has to go, sadly becausee the Yankee fans and media ran him out of NY simply because they don't like him.

3B-Lowell
LF-Matsui
CF-Damon
RF-Melky
4th OF-Bernie

Forgetting about Bobby Baseball in RF next year. That and the Red Sox and Yankees would never trade.

yeah, you lost me as soon as the Yankees/Red Sox made a trade.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:08 am

Wow, I guess I did miss Abreu. I'm retarded hahaha.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers