Offseason Yankees changes? (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Offseason Yankees changes? (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should Torre stay or go?

Stay
67%
Go
33%

Total votes : 15

Re: Who is the NEW Yankee 1B/3B?

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:52 pm

wrveres wrote:Ok, so pretty much every fan of every MLB team, except the Yankees, they are kind split on the subject, anyways we all agree that 8-Rod must leave town now.

this could have huge Fantasy Implications, not just for 8-rod if he is moved back to SS, but for who ever comes in to don the pinstripes.

Now, I was looking at the new lineup card provided to us by Geek, and its obvious it has to be a power bat cus he will need to break up some of those lefthanders so that means he will need to hit in the heart of the order. So we need

A) a RH bat,
B) one who can hit a ball above his thighs,
C) is not pretty,
D) and must score better than 17th in the MVP voting during his off years.

(C) is going to limit things a bit. I mean we can rule out Spiezio right now ..

but heres the lineup

Geek wrote:
1--Damon, (LH)CF
2--Jeter, (RH) SS
3--Abreu, (LH) RF
4--Giambi (LH)/Eduardo Perez (RH) DH
5--Matsui, (LH) LF
6--Posada, (RH) C
7--Cano, (LH) 2b
8--1b
9--3b

1. Wangs
2. Unit
3. Litle?
4. Wright!
5. ????? According to Geek, the only possible suitor is the Cubs. Now I know it won't be the popular choice, but I am leaning towards Kerry Wood here, anybody else? ... 8-Rod for Wood, thoughts?

of course Kerry and Williams are both FA's, so Steinbrenner could just buy a Woody :-D

So there you go.

Who is the New Yankee 1B/3B?
this could be a huge boost in somebodies value.
Aaron Boone is a FA. I imagine his stock should be bumped a tad, hes familar with the team and loved by all.

any others?

Well like you said, Big Stein can just buy Wood, so the trade would be for Prior I bet. As fas as 1B, I see a 3 year, $45M deal for Bagwell. O:-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:30 am

Big Pimpin wrote:
wrveres wrote:Ok, so pretty much every fan of every MLB team, except the Yankees, they are kind split on the subject, anyways we all agree that 8-Rod must leave town now.

this could have huge Fantasy Implications, not just for 8-rod if he is moved back to SS, but for who ever comes in to don the pinstripes.

Now, I was looking at the new lineup card provided to us by Geek, and its obvious it has to be a power bat cus he will need to break up some of those lefthanders so that means he will need to hit in the heart of the order. So we need

A) a RH bat,
B) one who can hit a ball above his thighs,
C) is not pretty,
D) and must score better than 17th in the MVP voting during his off years.

(C) is going to limit things a bit. I mean we can rule out Spiezio right now ..

but heres the lineup

Geek wrote:
1--Damon, (LH)CF
2--Jeter, (RH) SS
3--Abreu, (LH) RF
4--Giambi (LH)/Eduardo Perez (RH) DH
5--Matsui, (LH) LF
6--Posada, (RH) C
7--Cano, (LH) 2b
8--1b
9--3b

1. Wangs
2. Unit
3. Litle?
4. Wright!
5. ????? According to Geek, the only possible suitor is the Cubs. Now I know it won't be the popular choice, but I am leaning towards Kerry Wood here, anybody else? ... 8-Rod for Wood, thoughts?

of course Kerry and Williams are both FA's, so Steinbrenner could just buy a Woody :-D

So there you go.

Who is the New Yankee 1B/3B?
this could be a huge boost in somebodies value.
Aaron Boone is a FA. I imagine his stock should be bumped a tad, hes familar with the team and loved by all.

any others?

Well like you said, Big Stein can just buy Wood, so the trade would be for Prior I bet. As fas as 1B, I see a 3 year, $45M deal for Bagwell. O:-)

I expected better.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:57 am

Lofunzo wrote:I expected better.

Yeah it was kind of weak ..
But is nice to see a voice of reason, in such an insane thread ..
can you please share your opinions with us on 8-Rod, and if Eduardo Perez should replace 8-Rod as the RH bat in the middle of that lineup.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:39 am

Havok1517 wrote:I hope ARod goes to Philly.

I wouldn't mind ARod being in Philly either with our clear need at 3rd base but I am alittle worried about how the fans would treat him. Havok, what do you see the trade looking like between the Phils and Yanks?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:01 pm

The question in my mind is how they go about their "makeover". If they go the trade route, they don't have that many assets. ARod, Matsui, Damon, maybe Abreu, and then their young guys (who they don't want to deal). They'd almost assuredly have to eat salary to trade any of those guys, and Matsui and ARod can veto any trade, right? So they're really in a tough spot.

The only real option seems to be talking ARod into going somewhere, and eating enough salary to get back some good talent. It's just that there's not many teams who have high-upside young pitching that they're willing to part with.

If they go the FA route (the Yankee way), again they're going to be limited. I can see them going after and overpaying for a Zito or Schmidt (assuming they're interested in coming to the Bronx), but then they just bloat their payroll even more with old guys who, if anything, are on their way down.

It'll be interesting to see how fast George's payroll hits $300M.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:19 pm

I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby rong » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:30 pm

this means arod must go
rong
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acsguitar » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:32 pm

rong wrote:this means arod must go

Yep I think so too :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Why The Yankees Are Stupid

Postby jzfran » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Okay. I havent been around the FBC much lately, and I'm sure there has been a ton of talk about the Yankees Joe Torre situation. The only reaction I have, as a sports fan is, "Why would they ever even think about doing this?" I know that just recently, they announced Torre is staying but Steinbrenner is so damn impatient. They have been to 6 World Series in the last 10 years, and they have made the playoffs every year. In those 10 years, there are over 20 teams that didn't make the World Series once. In this period, there are many teams who have not reached the playoffs even once. Professional sports are designed so that one team cannot keep winning each and every year. It is designed to encourage some parody. So George, if 6 WS appearences and 4 titles in the past 10 years isn't good enough for you, then you should leave. The playing field is becoming much more even, and I don't see any team making the WS more than a few times over the next 10 years. I could keep going but I doubt anyone would read it...what is that guy thinking?
jzfran
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:32 pm

Good to see Torre staying.

Hopefully Girardi is available next year, since he should be Torre's successor.

They aren't going to get enough in return for ARod, so they need to just hope for the best from him.

If it were up to me, I'd go after Zito, who is still young and doesn't have injury history, and expect him to hold down the #1/#2 spot in the rotation for the next 4 or 5 years.

Ditch Wright, decline Moose's option (try to bring him back as a one or two year stopgap if the price is right).

One thing that they should consider in regards to Sheffield is that Boston may have a RF opening, and he's one scary player to envision playing against.

I'd consider picking up his option and looking to deal him to the NL for pitching, even if its just for a very good middle reliever. If you can't deal him, then let him play 1B for a year.

We have to keep in mind though that the only way their rotation is going to get better is if one (hopefully more than one) of their prospects steps up and can give them an ERA of about 4.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers