My top 20 secondbasemen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My top 20 secondbasemen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:33 am

Stu2k5 wrote:
J35J wrote:Yes, Chone Figgins is eligibly at 2B in '07

Are we sure about this. I've trying to verify this as I'm in a keeper league and would love to have Figgy at 2B next year instead of OF.

Since he has the appropriate number of games from last year then he will have that eligiblity in '07, he doesn't get it taken away.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... t=fielding
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:27 am

Stu2k5 wrote:What is everybodies thoughts on Giles?

He obviously had a down year, especially in BA. Was this an aberation? He did much better in the second half...posting a .280+BA.

Can he return to being a .300 hitter in 2007?

Giles is a decent option if you project .290-15-15. He may turn in another 20 HR season or two but it's a crapshoot IMO.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:41 am

Yoda wrote:
Stu2k5 wrote:What is everybodies thoughts on Giles?

He obviously had a down year, especially in BA. Was this an aberation? He did much better in the second half...posting a .280+BA.

Can he return to being a .300 hitter in 2007?

Giles is a decent option if you project .290-15-15. He may turn in another 20 HR season or two but it's a crapshoot IMO.

I agree with Yoda! Yoda also has him doing pretty much what I have him doing in '07 also. You just don't know what your going to get from him, year to year.

My '07 predictions as of right now...
15hr
60rbi
95runs
14sb

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bellings » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:52 pm

Uggla seems WAY too low. Sorting by rank in Yahoo (not O-rank), we get

Soriano (loses 2B)
Utley
Cuddyer (loses 2B)
Hall (loses 2B)
Figgins
Uggla

Even if you're not a believer, you shouldn't drop him from 3rd this year to 13th for next year. That's saying that he shouldn't even be starting in a 12-team league.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:41 pm

bellings wrote:Uggla seems WAY too low. Sorting by rank in Yahoo (not O-rank), we get

Soriano (loses 2B)
Utley
Cuddyer (loses 2B)
Hall (loses 2B)
Figgins
Uggla

Even if you're not a believer, you shouldn't drop him from 3rd this year to 13th for next year. That's saying that he shouldn't even be starting in a 12-team league.

Ahhh, people said the same thing about Cantu and a number of other guys who come out of nowhere every year. He has some pop but little else until proven otherwise. I have him projected right now with the numbers below, which like I said could be good for anywhere from 5th-15th, and I won't be banking on him being in the upper half of that range. I'll grab the vets who I know will give me good numbers.... Utley,Figgins,Roberts,Iguchi,Kent,Lugo,Giles and the young guys who have much more upside in Cano,Kendrick,Kinsler,Barfield and Weeks. Which after that puts Uggla at 13th.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bellings » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:03 pm

J35J wrote:
bellings wrote:Uggla seems WAY too low. Sorting by rank in Yahoo (not O-rank), we get

Soriano (loses 2B)
Utley
Cuddyer (loses 2B)
Hall (loses 2B)
Figgins
Uggla

Ahhh, people said the same thing about Cantu and a number of other guys who come out of nowhere every year. He has some pop but little else until proven otherwise. I have him projected right now with the numbers below, which like I said could be good for anywhere from 5th-15th, and I won't be banking on him being in the upper half of that range. I'll grab the vets who I know will give me good numbers.... Utley,Figgins,Roberts,Iguchi,Kent,Lugo,Giles and the young guys who have much more upside in Cano,Kendrick,Kinsler,Barfield and Weeks. Which after that puts Uggla at 13th.

Jason

Those projections don't look too bad, although I doubt his runs will drop that much. But even using your projections, you think that twelve 2B's are going to outperform that?

Only two 2B's that are eligible next year put up 20/80/80, Utley and Uggla.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:08 pm

I have a hard time figuring out Uggla. I do not know if he can maintain his batting avg above .270. Power is definitely there though.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby J35J » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:31 pm

bellings wrote:
Those projections don't look too bad, although I doubt his runs will drop that much. But even using your projections, you think that twelve 2B's are going to outperform that?

Only two 2B's that are eligible next year put up 20/80/80, Utley and Uggla.

"IF" Uggla puts up those numbers then no I don't think 12 other 2B will be better but I like the upside or consistancy of the other 12 players more than "hoping" Uggla can put up those numbers. I would give Uggla about a 50% chance of hitting those numbers and I would also give him about 30-40% chance of losing his job by the all star break but thats just me! Give me the consistancy of the vets I have ahead of him or the great tools and upside of the other guys I have ahead of him any day.

Thats why we play the games though right?

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bellings » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:30 pm

If I were doing a lower-edge projection of Uggla, I'd say that he has an 80% chance of putting up at least 80/20/80/5/.270. I understand why everyone is a little unnerved by him, but knocking him out of the top-10 is a little drastic.

What really hurt his stats was when he checked out at the end of the season with the Marlins out of the playoff hunt. Not the most professional thing to do, but he's a rookie so I won't rag on him. As late as Sept 17 he was hitting .294, so it's not like his 1/2 half sucked or anything. I think he'll be top 5. Steals are great and all, but it's tough to find a 2B that doesn't kill all of your other stats.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers