My top 20 secondbasemen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My top 20 secondbasemen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:55 pm

what is your thought on Jose Castillo?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby San D » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:28 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:what is your thought on Jose Castillo?

There's a good chance he doesn't start next year with Bautista possibly moving to 3B and Sanchez sliding to 2B. I'd rather play Sanchez at SS and sit superstud Jack Wilson, but I think Castillo will sit the most.

I wasn't nuts about your trade of Humberto Sanchez (who you don't like) for Castillo, but if you have a gut feeling about Castillo, you have to go for it. He does have a little upside that some people like being 26 years old next year with potential 15-20 HR pop, but batting low in the Pirate order will always help limit him.
San D
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby cordscords » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:34 pm

J35J wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:Weeks too low.

I really like Weeks too but at the same time he scares the crap out of me..... for redraft leagues.

Jason

Good call. I wrote an article on him in August.

Here it is
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:41 pm

This group is so weak I'd be tempted to put Kent in the top 3.
I think he could still hit .290, with 25 HR, and 90 R/RBI.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 356)

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:05 am

I'm not worried about Weeks at all. Take out the freak injury and extrapolate his 359 ABs to 550. You're looking at:

.280, 112 runs, 12 HR, 54 RBI, 29 SB in his first "full" pro season.

Obviously you're making assumptions when you just add 200 ABs to a guy's line, but that was the pace he was on. So, at the very least you're getting very nice run totals, good SB totals, and a solid batting average. This is a guy who will slug more as the years go on too. He has at every level. My early projection (assuming he stays leadoff):

.285, 110 runs, 20 HR, 65 RBI, 35 SB

If he doesn't hit leadoff, move the RBI total up.

Looking at the young upside (Weeks, Kinsler, Kendrick, Barfield, Uggla), and the potential for a "rebound" pick like Giles or Lugo to drop, I'll be waiting on 2B unless I take Utley. I'm not attached enough to the Cano/Iguchi/Kent/Roberts types to jump on them early. I think my plan would be to take one of those young cats and sort of "gamble" at the 2B position.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:04 am

I'm going to cross the 2B position off my draft lists, and just wait till the end of the draft. Chances are, some great 2B will be found on the FA list for next year. Not much point in wasting a draft pick on one, even for Utley IMO.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:15 am

Next year looks to be a great year to get the 10th or 11th ranked 2nd baseman. Giles or Barfield will probably be my targets, as both should give you a nice combo of power and steals. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mak1277 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:40 am

Havok1517 wrote:I think Barfield and Jose Castillo would be much higher if they could get out of the #8 spot. I mean Jack Wilson SUCKS!

Sorry to say, but Jose Castillo sucks too. Lots of promise, and he may be one of those guys that flourishes after a trade, but I'd be surprised:

1) If he's in Pittsburgh next year. If so, odds are he'll be playing third base.

2) If he does anything worth having in a fantasy roster.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:47 am

Couple of other thoughts I have.

1) I'm excited about Jeff Kent for next year. I think he's a guy that is going to fall pretty far in drafts. People will look at his raw numbers and injuries from '06 and stay away from him. I'm not saying he's going to be amazing, but if you look at his per game (or per AB) numbers from this year, they aren't terrible.

2) Don't sleep on Freddy Sanchez. Now it's true, he may revert to the mean next year and do absolutely nothing. But...he had 85 runs and 85 RBIs this year, despite missing a lot of AB's early in the season. He also had 53! doubles. You always hear that doubles hitters can turn into HR hitters, so it's not out of the realm of possibility to see a line of .315 - 90 runs - 90 RBIs - 12 HRs. That would be just fine for my 2b.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:08 am

Scooter1027 wrote:Looking at the young upside (Weeks, Kinsler, Kendrick, Barfield, Uggla), and the potential for a "rebound" pick like Giles or Lugo to drop, I'll be waiting on 2B unless I take Utley. I'm not attached enough to the Cano/Iguchi/Kent/Roberts types to jump on them early. I think my plan would be to take one of those young cats and sort of "gamble" at the 2B position.

See I was kinda viewing it just the opposite. I was thinking that these young guys would be hyped up for next year and possibly be picked before the more stable guys in Cano/Iguchi/Kent/Roberts.....but I guess I will have to wait and see.

You say you will wait on one of the young guys and I'm thinking that it may just be the opposite in that you might be able to grab one of the vets a little later than the young guys...

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers