Google Buys YouTube... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Google Buys YouTube...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:34 am

Simulacrum wrote:I'm not sure about this move myself... doesn't YouTube have a ton of pending lawsuits against them right now? Why does Google want to buy into that? I guess it's because Google Video failed.. I'm willing to bet YouTube will soon be called "G-Tube".

RyanK wrote:wow theyre gay...

but besides that... on a google note, I read an article last week basically saying google wants to get to online domination. It also talked about their work environment, and itd love to work there, free massages, hair cuts, health care on site, free meals, can bring your dogs, you get a day of "creative something" every week you can do whatever..

I applied for a job at Google, but I didn't get it.. you're right about them being a different kind of company. You can work in teams with whoever you want. 20% of your time is supposed to be spent on something completely different than your job, whatever you feel like working on. That's how Gmail and Google Maps came about apparently, employee side-work.

You know Google was two students master's thesis project? Those bums are wealthy beyond our wildest dreams. 8-o

Man I wanna work for google ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:32 pm

Simulacrum wrote:I'm not sure about this move myself... doesn't YouTube have a ton of pending lawsuits against them right now? Why does Google want to buy into that? I guess it's because Google Video failed.. I'm willing to bet YouTube will soon be called "G-Tube".

In a word, yes. It's funny because one of my employees compared Youtube as the Napster of the viral video world because you'll even see some people upload content from independent authors. I recall this one video where it takes Halo game footage and applies a Monty Python "How not to be seen" sketch audio file as background audio.

Simulacrum wrote:

but besides that... on a google note, I read an article last week basically saying google wants to get to online domination. It also talked about their work environment, and itd love to work there, free massages, hair cuts, health care on site, free meals, can bring your dogs, you get a day of "creative something" every week you can do whatever..

I applied for a job at Google, but I didn't get it.. you're right about them being a different kind of company. You can work in teams with whoever you want. 20% of your time is supposed to be spent on something completely different than your job, whatever you feel like working on. That's how Gmail and Google Maps came about apparently, employee side-work.

You know Google was two students master's thesis project? Those bums are wealthy beyond our wildest dreams. 8-o

I applied for Google once too and didn't get in either, but yeah, they believe in a 70-20-10 philosophy where 70% of your time is dedicated to whatever your job demands of it...while 20% of it is dedicated to whatever independent projects you want Google to consider...and the 10%? Well, I don't remember what that was for. Hunting Myspace for slores, perhaps? I don't know.

I think Yahoo started up the same way as Google: a master's thesis project that had exploded into a billion-dollar company somewhere along the way. One of my friends actually knows Yahoo's co-founder Jerry Yang and believes that it was kind of dumb luck that Jerry's raking in on co-founding Yahoo just because he's an ordinary slacker like you and I. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:49 pm

hehe

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,216714,00.html

NEW YORK — Billionaire investor and dot-com veteran Mark Cuban had harsh words on Thursday for YouTube, the online site that lets people share video clips, saying only a "moron" would purchase the wildly popular start-up.

Cuban, co-founder of HDNet and owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, also said YouTube would eventually be "sued into oblivion" because of copyright violations.

"They are just breaking the law," Cuban told a group of advertisers in New York. "The only reason it hasn't been sued yet is because there is nobody with big money to sue."
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:59 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:hehe

NEW YORK — Billionaire investor and dot-com veteran Mark Cuban had harsh words on Thursday for YouTube, the online site that lets people share video clips, saying only a "moron" would purchase the wildly popular start-up.

Cuban, co-founder of HDNet and owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks, also said YouTube would eventually be "sued into oblivion" because of copyright violations.

"They are just breaking the law," Cuban told a group of advertisers in New York. "The only reason it hasn't been sued yet is because there is nobody with big money to sue."

Mark Cuban is pissing a lot of people off in the HD world, so I wouldn't be calling others "idiots" if I were him. He is basically saying that people should be happy with HD-Lite because it's still better than Standard Definition TV.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:01 pm

Phatferd wrote:
CheeseBeger wrote:hehe

Mark Cuban is pissing a lot of people off in the HD world, so I wouldn't be calling others "idiots" if I were him. He is basically saying that people should be happy with HD-Lite because it's still better than Standard Definition TV.

Mark Cuban has a lot of money thats the only reason he is allowed out of his cage
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:02 pm

My cousin's fiance works for Google. I haven't talked to them in over a year, but he loved his job. He worked for a computer company that was bought out by Google and he thought he won the lottery. Their break room alone was sweet!! He said every single day it would be stocked with fresh bagels, pastries, breads, lunchmeats, fruit, etc...Their fridge was also filled with Naked Juice, Fiji Water and a bunch of other stuff. It was all fair game and would be replaced the next day with fresh stuff.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Phatferd wrote:

My cousin's fiance works for Google. I haven't talked to them in over a year, but he loved his job. He worked for a computer company that was bought out by Google and he thought he won the lottery. Their break room alone was sweet!! He said every single day it would be stocked with fresh bagels, pastries, breads, lunchmeats, fruit, etc...Their fridge was also filled with Naked Juice, Fiji Water and a bunch of other stuff. It was all fair game and would be replaced the next day with fresh stuff.

Um we have buttery popcorn and are allowed to untuck our shirts on fridays
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:05 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

I think he also mentioned (not too sure, it was a while ago) that he really didn't have to be at work at a certain time. He couldn't like walk in at 2pm everyday, but basically he could come in between 7-12 and basically just put his 8 hours in.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Phatferd wrote:

Drat, I'd still have to go downstairs to the coffee shop to get all those items. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:13 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

Luckbag!

So anyway, are they changing the name to GooTube? Google: Tube? YouGoog?

Also, Mark Cuban has his head up his butt; the most watched videos on YouTube are original and 20 million monthly visitors is nothing to scoff at. Also, I don't think YouTube is liable for copyrighted submissions so-long as YouTube basically has a leagal disclaimer saying they're not liable... I don't know, I'm sure it's more complex than that, but I know when they post NBC-related content, NBC just tells them to take it down.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk