ALERT - U.S. Online Poker Players (READ!!!!!!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

ALERT - U.S. Online Poker Players (READ!!!!!!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:29 pm

May not be the death of online poker, but several of the poker sites will no longer allow U.S. players once this bill is signed. Even if new ways of moving money show up, the government will go after them (it) as well. Never be as easy as it has been, which will hurt the market.

No matter what, the fish count will take a huge hit. With getting up and running for online poker being so easy, everyone wants to give it a shot. By making people jump through hoops, the newbies won't be going through all the trouble to sign up. Less fish = less traffic. If I know I'm sitting at a table full of players, I'd rather do that live. If the table is half fish (or more), doesn't matter where I play (online or live), I'll happily take their money.

Got a link for the Neteller announcement? I was on the phone with them yesterday afternoon and as of then, they don't know for sure what they are going to do (if anything). I've seen no new articles or announcements from them today. I'd love to read the latest if you've got a link. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:04 pm

Play on Full Tilt and pm me for a signup bonus!
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Tavish » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:17 pm

RyanK wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:quick question.....couldnt you just write a check and send it to the company in which you would like to do business with...then nothing is over the internet and arent you free to buy whatever you'd like? and then couldnt they just send you a check back in the mail? doesnt that eliminate any of the "internet gambling" in which they're talking about..

The law aims to stop US banks from completing financial transactions with foreign gambling companies. Checks are no different than credit card payments in this regard.

Will Checks Cashed places take the checks or no?

If you mean will the cashing place cash a check from a poker site then yes. Your normal bank should still be able to do that as well. The new law only stops banks from transfering money *to* a gambling company.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:37 pm

It is a Wall Street Journal article (subscription), but this part of the article. But I find it encouraging since this is made after FirePay said they are exiting.

NETeller Exec: Company Will Still Operate In The US
<<Neteller Vows to Stay in the U.S.

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
October 11, 2006 12:31 p.m.

A Neteller PLC executive said the British company, which handles payments for online gambling companies and others, will continue to operate in the U.S., despite the recent passage of antigambling legislation.

"We are staying in the U.S.," said Bruce Elliott, Neteller's executive vice president, marketing and sales, told a online gambling conference in Barcelona. "I don't think we have a very big problem."...
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:41 pm

And yes I am also very concerned that the "schools of fish" will be scared off. I know all the players who are consistent winners will jump through the loops, but that just leaves us with good players.

At least if Neteller is still in opperation, it provides an easy access to the sites.

ALSO new PokerStars just announced that they are going to continue to allow US players
http://www.pokerstars.com/legislation/uigea/
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:28 pm

I just took out all my money from Party Poker and put it back into my bank account. Right when I figured out how to take advantage of cash game fish. I don't want to be playing online with other good players if the fish aren't going to be there. I'm sure my urge will get the best of me soon enough though and I'll find a way back.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby RyanK » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:00 am

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:I just took out all my money from Party Poker and put it back into my bank account. Right when I figured out how to take advantage of cash game fish. I don't want to be playing online with other good players if the fish aren't going to be there. I'm sure my urge will get the best of me soon enough though and I'll find a way back.

Full Tilts not quittin... they got some good fish over there.. I enjoy playing on it
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:10 pm

Tavish wrote:
RyanK wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:quick question.....couldnt you just write a check and send it to the company in which you would like to do business with...then nothing is over the internet and arent you free to buy whatever you'd like? and then couldnt they just send you a check back in the mail? doesnt that eliminate any of the "internet gambling" in which they're talking about..

The law aims to stop US banks from completing financial transactions with foreign gambling companies. Checks are no different than credit card payments in this regard.

If you mean will the cashing place cash a check from a poker site then yes. Your normal bank should still be able to do that as well. The new law only stops banks from transfering money *to* a gambling company.

Not according to the articles I've read. It's money *to* and *from* any of the gaming sites, or companies that do that sort of thing (like Neteller). Even actual checks won't be cashed, but there's a 9 month window before banks have to enforce that policy. Plenty of time to get the money out.

Thanks for the update on Neteller Cheese. Should be very interesting to see what happens when all the dust settles. B-)

I already read the Pokerstars announcement. The exact wording of it tells you where they stand. Should be very interesting to see how that goes once the government goes after them. Should finally *officially* answer the question as to if poker is gambling, or a game of skill. I know it's a game of skill, but the government doesn't. Can't wait for that court case (Pokerstars VS. U.S. Government) to happen. B-)

Full Tilt will lose a ton of fish when they have no way to reload their accounts. Suck them dry while you can. Myself, I've already moved all my online money off the net. I'll look at it all again, and check out the new rules and requirements once everything is figured out. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:30 am

Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:
RyanK wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Not according to the articles I've read. It's money *to* and *from* any of the gaming sites, or companies that do that sort of thing (like Neteller). Even actual checks won't be cashed, but there's a 9 month window before banks have to enforce that policy. Plenty of time to get the money out.

Thanks for the update on Neteller Cheese. Should be very interesting to see what happens when all the dust settles. B-)

I already read the Pokerstars announcement. The exact wording of it tells you where they stand. Should be very interesting to see how that goes once the government goes after them. Should finally *officially* answer the question as to if poker is gambling, or a game of skill. I know it's a game of skill, but the government doesn't. Can't wait for that court case (Pokerstars VS. U.S. Government) to happen. B-)

Full Tilt will lose a ton of fish when they have no way to reload their accounts. Suck them dry while you can. Myself, I've already moved all my online money off the net. I'll look at it all again, and check out the new rules and requirements once everything is figured out. :-°

Ugh, what am I supposed to do with my free time in the dorm room? Study????
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:16 am

OhMrScottyTrav06 wrote:
Madison wrote:
Tavish wrote:
RyanK wrote:
Tavish wrote:

Ugh, what am I supposed to do with my free time in the dorm room? Study????

Seriously...

I am sitting here with my textbook on my lap...It's sat here for 15 minutes. I had all intention to open up Word when I sat at my computer, however, I have been reading this site along with a couple other regulars...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk