A couple relevant news stories... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A couple relevant news stories...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby roninmedia » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Madison wrote:
Don't waste cheese! 8-o

Waste something like eggplant or liver. :-b


I don't think getting round or wheel-shaped liver/eggplant will be easy.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 1647
Joined: 16 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:15 pm

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Mugrila wrote:I didn't really mean now, there have been wacky races, contests, and competitions for centuries if not more. It just seems that you could find a competition for just about anything. I mean, have contests to see who can launch a pumpkin the farthest.


Ha, that reminds me of this festival in England where they throw cheese down a hill, while there are folks who chase down that roll of cheese down the steep decline of the hill.


What kind of cheese?


I'm gonna go with Gouda.


Yeah, something like that. Just a big roll of cheese (let's say 25 pounds).

Notice I didn't say kilos, Cu, which should prove to you I'm not British. :-b :-D


Don't waste cheese! 8-o


Even the Roqueforts and the Limburgers?
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21672
(Past Year: 452)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not nineteen forever

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:29 pm

roninmedia wrote:
Madison wrote:
Don't waste cheese! 8-o

Waste something like eggplant or liver. :-b


I don't think getting round or wheel-shaped liver/eggplant will be easy.


So mold it and use rubber cement or something.

Don't waste cheese! ;-D

The Artful Dodger wrote:Even the Roqueforts and the Limburgers?


What part of "Don't waste cheese!" don't you understand? :-D ;-)

Surely that stuff's good for something. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Coppermine » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:01 pm

Madison wrote:
roninmedia wrote:
Madison wrote:
Don't waste cheese! 8-o

Waste something like eggplant or liver. :-b


I don't think getting round or wheel-shaped liver/eggplant will be easy.


So mold it and use rubber cement or something.

Don't waste cheese! ;-D

The Artful Dodger wrote:Even the Roqueforts and the Limburgers?


What part of "Don't waste cheese!" don't you understand? :-D ;-)

Surely that stuff's good for something. B-)


I'm with Madison here; wasting cheese is a crime. Hopefully at the bottom of the hill someone is waiting with some crackers, dijon mustard and pinot grigio :-D

The Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake is an annual event held in May at Cooper's Hill near Cheltenham and Gloucester. Competitors race down the hill after a Double Gloucester cheese, and the first person over the line wins the cheese. In theory, competitors are aiming to catch the cheese, but since it has a second's head start and can reach speeds up to 70mph (enough to knock over and injure a spectator as it did in 1997), this rarely occurs.

Due to the steepness and uneven surface of the hill there are usually a number of injuries, ranging from sprained ankles to broken bones and concussions. A first aid service is provided by the local St John Ambulance (Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stroud Divisions) at the bottom of the hill, with a volunteer rescue group on hand to carry down to them any casualties who do not end up at the bottom through gravity. A number of ambulance vehicles will attend the event, since there is invariably at least one and often several more injuries requiring hospital treatment. Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling has been summarized as "twenty young men chase a cheese off a cliff and tumble 200 yards to the bottom, where they are scraped up by paramedics and packed off to hospital".
A view down Cooper's Hill, from the start point of the race to the finish (where the dog-walkers are). The face of the hill itself is concave and hence cannot be seen from this angle. The posts at the bottom are signs from the local council requesting that, to avoid soil erosion, people do not walk on the face of the hill. The posts are removed for the annual event.
Enlarge
A view down Cooper's Hill, from the start point of the race to the finish (where the dog-walkers are). The face of the hill itself is concave and hence cannot be seen from this angle. The posts at the bottom are signs from the local council requesting that, to avoid soil erosion, people do not walk on the face of the hill. The posts are removed for the annual event.

The last race of the 2005 event was delayed while the ambulances returned from the hospital, all of them having been required to transport casualties from previous races. Nevertheless, it was one of the most popular events in recent years, with many more participants than were able to run in the four races.

Accurate information is hard to come by, but the tradition is at least 200 years old. Suggestions are made that it may date back to Roman times, or may have been a pagan healing ritual, but there is no evidence for this.

The Cheese Rollers is also the name of the nearby pub about half mile stroll from Cooper's Hill. Competitors will frequent this venue for some pre-event Dutch courage or discussion of tactics, and after the event for some convalescence.


Image
Nice teeth, limey

I love Google.

I also read that that the event used to use wheels of cheddar until the war when food was rationed; during that time, a wooden 'wheel' was decorated like a cheese and used.

Today, the cheese used is Double Gloucester:

Double Gloucester cheese is a traditional, unpasteurized, semi-hard cheese which has been made in Gloucestershire, England, since the sixteenth century.

Gloucester cheeses were at one time made only with the milk from Gloucester cows, which are now almost extinct. There are two types of Gloucester cheese: Single and Double. The main difference is that Single Gloucester is made with skimmed milk combined with a small amount of whole milk. Double Gloucester is made from only whole milk.

Both types have a natural rind and a hard texture, but Single Gloucester is more crumbly, lighter in texture and lower in fat. Double Gloucester is allowed to age for longer periods than Single, and it has a stronger and more savory flavor. It is also slightly firmer. Both types are produced in round shapes, but Double Gloucester rounds are larger. Double Gloucester can be enjoyed as a snack, for grating or grilling.

Double Gloucester cheese is also used every spring for the Cooper's Hill Cheese-Rolling and Wake, a dangerous sport.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:03 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:
roninmedia wrote:
Madison wrote:
Don't waste cheese! 8-o

Waste something like eggplant or liver. :-b


I don't think getting round or wheel-shaped liver/eggplant will be easy.


So mold it and use rubber cement or something.

Don't waste cheese! ;-D

The Artful Dodger wrote:Even the Roqueforts and the Limburgers?


What part of "Don't waste cheese!" don't you understand? :-D ;-)

Surely that stuff's good for something. B-)


I'm with Madison here; wasting cheese is a crime. Hopefully at the bottom of the hill someone is waiting with some crackers, dijon mustard and pinot grigio :-D

The Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling and Wake is an annual event held in May at Cooper's Hill near Cheltenham and Gloucester. Competitors race down the hill after a Double Gloucester cheese, and the first person over the line wins the cheese. In theory, competitors are aiming to catch the cheese, but since it has a second's head start and can reach speeds up to 70mph (enough to knock over and injure a spectator as it did in 1997), this rarely occurs.

Due to the steepness and uneven surface of the hill there are usually a number of injuries, ranging from sprained ankles to broken bones and concussions. A first aid service is provided by the local St John Ambulance (Gloucester, Cheltenham and Stroud Divisions) at the bottom of the hill, with a volunteer rescue group on hand to carry down to them any casualties who do not end up at the bottom through gravity. A number of ambulance vehicles will attend the event, since there is invariably at least one and often several more injuries requiring hospital treatment. Cooper's Hill Cheese Rolling has been summarized as "twenty young men chase a cheese off a cliff and tumble 200 yards to the bottom, where they are scraped up by paramedics and packed off to hospital".
A view down Cooper's Hill, from the start point of the race to the finish (where the dog-walkers are). The face of the hill itself is concave and hence cannot be seen from this angle. The posts at the bottom are signs from the local council requesting that, to avoid soil erosion, people do not walk on the face of the hill. The posts are removed for the annual event.
Enlarge
A view down Cooper's Hill, from the start point of the race to the finish (where the dog-walkers are). The face of the hill itself is concave and hence cannot be seen from this angle. The posts at the bottom are signs from the local council requesting that, to avoid soil erosion, people do not walk on the face of the hill. The posts are removed for the annual event.

The last race of the 2005 event was delayed while the ambulances returned from the hospital, all of them having been required to transport casualties from previous races. Nevertheless, it was one of the most popular events in recent years, with many more participants than were able to run in the four races.

Accurate information is hard to come by, but the tradition is at least 200 years old. Suggestions are made that it may date back to Roman times, or may have been a pagan healing ritual, but there is no evidence for this.

The Cheese Rollers is also the name of the nearby pub about half mile stroll from Cooper's Hill. Competitors will frequent this venue for some pre-event Dutch courage or discussion of tactics, and after the event for some convalescence.


Image
Nice teeth, limey

I love Google.

I also read that that the event used to use wheels of cheddar until the war when food was rationed; during that time, a wooden 'wheel' was decorated like a cheese and used.

Today, the cheese used is Double Gloucester:

Double Gloucester cheese is a traditional, unpasteurized, semi-hard cheese which has been made in Gloucestershire, England, since the sixteenth century.

Gloucester cheeses were at one time made only with the milk from Gloucester cows, which are now almost extinct. There are two types of Gloucester cheese: Single and Double. The main difference is that Single Gloucester is made with skimmed milk combined with a small amount of whole milk. Double Gloucester is made from only whole milk.

Both types have a natural rind and a hard texture, but Single Gloucester is more crumbly, lighter in texture and lower in fat. Double Gloucester is allowed to age for longer periods than Single, and it has a stronger and more savory flavor. It is also slightly firmer. Both types are produced in round shapes, but Double Gloucester rounds are larger. Double Gloucester can be enjoyed as a snack, for grating or grilling.

Double Gloucester cheese is also used every spring for the Cooper's Hill Cheese-Rolling and Wake, a dangerous sport.


So this isn't an Urban Legend?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 26 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Texas
(2:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(6:40 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact