Why I hate baseball...A rant - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I hate baseball...A rant

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ayebatter » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:57 pm

I love baseball, because there's only one 'Milton Bradley' in the league.

Football & bball are full of Miltons. !+)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:58 pm

Why do I love baseball?
The strategy, the one on one of the pitcher and batter, the crack of the bat, no clock, 9 guys vs. 1, the squeeze play, the double switch, the only foul is a foul ball. the finesse, robbing a HR, hitting a HR, the subtlety, turning a double play, the strikeout, opening day, October baseball, blue skies, green grass, the skill, stolen bases, 9th innings, take a swing at another player and you are gone, head first slides, the athleticism, the pop of the glove, Yadier Molina's throwing arm, a great curveball, the power, working the count, the team and the history
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Re: Why I hate baseball...A rant

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:02 am

Netsfan5 wrote:What bugs me is it takes probably 30 seconds to a minute to get the pitcher to put the ball in play (pitching). But the play lasts probably 30 seconds. What is the fun of watching a sport where the actual plays, possesions, whatever last under a minute. Putting the ball in play can take a good deal of time compared to a football team

I have to assume by reading this that you either have a horrible concept of time, or really haven't watched any baseball at all. I've been watching baseball all my life and I don't know if I've ever seen a single play that lasted 30 seconds. I'm sure there have been some crazy plays that have lasted that long, but it's not at all common. Also, some pitchers take a while from pitch to pitch, but never a minute (unless you add pick off attempts and throws to first into the total time). And it seems a bit silly to complain about 30 seconds between plays when one of the sports you claim to love, football, has a 35 second play clock that most teams take down to 3-5 seconds unless they are in a hurry-up offense...and once they do put it in play, most actual plays last about the same time, or shorter, than a baseball play.

I'm apparently the only person who enjoys baseball, football, basketball, and soccer.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:03 am

ayebatter wrote:I love baseball, because there's only one 'Milton Bradley' in the league.

Football & bball are full of Miltons. !+)

Please...
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giants8307 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:52 am

Baseball is a game of strategy. It's a complex game that takes a lot of time to understand. One or two games isn't going to do it. I've watched and played a ton of football and basketball and haven't found nearly as much stategy involved.

It seems like you don't really like individual sports very much, which would explain your dislike for baseball. In general it's a team sport, but broken down into easily recognizable individual match-ups. I think that's really interesting, myself, but I suppose others don't think so. It's far from the ultimate team sport, but neither is basketball in my mind. When Kobe can single-handedly take over a game and win it FOR his team, I question how much of a team sport bball is. I've never heard of one-on-one baseball before.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RyanK » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:09 am

I think with baseball you just have to respect it.. I love it, I love going to games, I love the history.

Going to a baseball game is one of the best feelings ever. Its a solid 2-3 hours of relaxation, excitement, frustration and enjoyment. If you go to a team with a large fan base every games enjoyable. I love the feeling of a close game and the home team starts to rally you can feel the whole stadium. The only other sport I can compare that to is Hockey, I love hockey games after goals or close game games, the stadium is electric, and thats what you get when your at a Sox or Mets game (saw the Mets this summer and they were down 2, had a rally going in the 9th the whole place was extremly loud, they lost but it was crazy how much the fans got into it)

Ive been to a Patriots game and it just didnt feel the same as a baseball game or hockey game to me... it was actually kind of boring, the tailgating was fun but the game its self seemed so much different than on TV.

I think any college finals sporting events would be great to be at, March Madness, Bowl Games, Rival games... I love college hockey games.

The only time I follow basketball is March Madness
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby bellings » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:16 am

I didn't have time to read all previous posts, but here's my response:

Baseball is the most suspenseful sport. Until the fat lady sings, there is always a change to come back. When you have a 0-1 ballgame, a single swing of the bat can tie the game. Down by 2, just get a runner on and the tying run is at the plate.

I recently just witnessed the single most intense sporting moment of my life. I was at the Twins game on Wednesday. Down my 2, Cuddyer jacks one for HR. Morneau starts fouling balls off like crazy. He put one about 15 rows above me, and I was in the upper deck just left of the foul pole. He finally hit the #*$& out of the ball into the upper deck for HR to tie the game. The place went NUTS! We were still chanting MVP all the way through a pitching change. This type of suspense doesn't happen in any other sport.

It's just too bad that the happiness only lasted 1/2 an inning.... :~(
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Why I hate baseball...A rant

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:53 am

Netsfan5 wrote:(Feel free to move this to General Talk)

I'm a basketball fan, and a football fan, but my heart lies with Bball. Whenever I go to a baseball game, I can't get excited motivated (Has nothing to do with rooting for a team), the game lags on and on, and I can't seem to enjoy it. There is no period of 5 minutes of intensity, no 3rd and goals, three point buzzer beaters. The best I can get is an extra inning game or maybe a game winning single (very exciting!). Whaty bugs me is it takes probably 30 seconds to a minute to get the pitcher to put the ball in play (pitching). But the play lasts probably 30 seconds. What is the fun of watching a sport where the actual plays, possesions, whatever last under a minute. Putting the ball in play can take a good deal of time compared to a football team and especially bball. Maybe I just like the up tempo ball always in play game of basketball. What's the fun in watching NOTHING!

Baseball is hardly the team sport of bball or football. In football the QB and RB rely on the offensive line to protect them, the Wider Reciever expects the QB to throw him a good pass, the defense relies on the offense, etc. etc.
In Basketball, there is a group of 5 players that need to work as a cohesive unit offensively and defensively to win games. Kobe Bryant can't win games himself. He needs the rest of the team to play defense and offense, same goes for every basketball player. They are all part of a TEAM.

Baseball is an indiviudal sport. Why does that interest you? Batters bat alone, sure they need their teammate to hit the ball, but they have no impact on this. Basketball and football players impact each other. Baseball players hardly impact each other, they only rely on each other slighty, such as the Pitcher and his fielders. I don't see a major team aspect in America's pasttime, at least not nearly as much as basketball or football. Working as a cohesive team is not baseball.

This is my little rant, please respond respectfully, maybe change my opinion of the game. Note I have 3,000ish posts on the bball side, so I am not some random guy trying to annoy you all. ;-D

It's hard for me to relate to this post in several ways. For me, baseball is the most intense sport. Your team's pitcher against the opposing team's best batter with a 3-1 count, even in the first inning, is full of suspense to me. But then again, I have a really hard time watching basketball and finding any intensity in it. Even watching the NBA playoffs I just shrugged and got bored. I do enjoy March Madness, but I don't feel much suspense towards the game until the 4th quarter. In baseball, the game seems to build upon itself. Is the pitcher getting his breaking pitches over for strikes? If not, you can bet that in an inning or two he'll start getting hit, as batters are looking for the fastball.

Football is a great game, but is so anticlimatic most of the time it drives me nuts. Baseball almost always ends on a high note (unless the other team is up by say 6 or more). In football though, I get tired of watching game after game where, even though the score is close, the opposing team has no chance of winning. And my goodness, 4th quarter and a team has a decent lead; running play after running play after running play.

I think of any sport, basketball is the most individual. Maybe Kobe can't win it all by himself, but Kobe and Shaq can. That's just two players. In baseball, you need a total package of all individuals. Sure, it maybe on individual battle at a time, but each player needs to combine their efforts, as a team, to win it. Moreso than basketball. In fact, I'd argue basketball is very individual. One person holds the ball and dictates the play, much like the pitcher.

Anyway, a little odd for you to come onto the baseball boards to bash baseball. However, you did it without cursing all over, and making a rational post. So thank you for that :-)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mak1277 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:18 am

Netsfan5 wrote:So we can agree baseball is a more complicating game on the surface, but when digging further, basketball has tons of things within the game the casual fan wouldn't know same with football.

Baseball seems to be described as beautiful, glorious, intelligent. Why?

There is no doubt that there are subtle, intricate strategies in both basketball and football. The difference is, I don't think you need to understand those strategies in order to enjoy watching those sports.

I can enjoy watching a football game without knowing the difference between a cover 2 or a zone blitz defense. I can enjoy a basketball game without understanding the Triangle offense.

I think, though, that if you don't have a pretty deep understanding of baseball, you're going to find it slow and boring. Those who do understand the game though find it completely fascinating and engrossing. Personally, watching the progression of at bats between a pitcher and hitter as the game goes on is far more stimulating (maybe not more "exciting", as far as increased heart rate) than watching a fast break or 2-minute drill.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Tavish » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:23 am

Netsfan5 wrote:So we can agree baseball is a more complicating game on the surface, but when digging further, basketball has tons of things within the game the casual fan wouldn't know same with football.

Baseball seems to be described as beautiful, glorious, intelligent. Why?

Let me ask you a simple baseball strategy question.

There is a runner on 1st. What should be taken into consideration when you decide if the runner should try and steal second?

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers