Why I hate baseball...A rant - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I hate baseball...A rant

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:20 pm

Yes, a .300 OBP is bad, very bad ..

Maybe we could have the pitchers throw underhand or something.
Would that speed up the game enough for ya.

Let’s talk about football for a minute.
First there are twice as many players, and they all wear helmets, so unless you saw them pimping shaving cream, you would not even know who they were. The NFL does a great job pimping that shaving cream. If I ran into a San Diego Charger at the grocery store, I would not know whom he was. Heck it has happened, come to think of it.

Second is the game itself.
The players only play 1/2 the time, not unlike baseball.
It is a set in stone 1-hour game. You even have people with stopwatches.
During this one-hour game, with players playing only half the time, you take breaks to kick back and talk about it. And not just short breaks. Long breaks. So long sometimes that they squeeze in a few shaving cream commercials. ..

So we got a 1-hour game, players that only play half of it, and they stand around and talk about for approx half of that ..

That is 15 minutes of game per side.

15 ..

Fifteen...

Squeezed into 3 hours ....

That my friends is a lot of shaving cream ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:23 pm

Tavish wrote:Funny, I love baseball for almost the exact reasons you dislike it. I love the pace, I love that the game unfolds in its own time. Every other sport tries to force the drama of a game on you with a clock. Baseball plays outside of the normal hustle and bustle of everyday life. I deal with a timeclock every day at work. Get this and that done before 4PM, take your break at noon. Baseball simply says here is what has to be done. Sit back, relax, enjoy a beer, enjoy the day, we'll get there when we get there.

The batter/pitcher matchup can be one of the most intriguing and intense sporting event. The hitter guessing what the pitcher is going to do, the pitcher trying to fool the hitter. Great fastball hitters against power pitchers, crafty veterans against young studs. Clemens buzzing Piazza, Pujols glaring out at Lidge, anyone trying to squeeze a pitch into Bonds' strikezone without him putting it into the Cove. And while all that is going on you have the cat and mouse game of Pierre on first trying to find out exactly how far he can push his lead, the infielders moving back and forth from their stances, players in the batters box watching everything the pitcher does trying to gain an advantage. And thats all before the crack of the bat on contact when the field becomes alive with organized chaos. Runners scrambling around the bases, infielders diving for balls just out of their reach then quickly moving to cover their base or cutoff the throw, the catcher tossing the mask and moving up to block the plate, outfielders preparing to throw a rocket to home. The dust settles, everyone gets ready to do it all again.

solid.. ;-D
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:25 pm

Tavish wrote:Funny, I love baseball for almost the exact reasons you dislike it. I love the pace, I love that the game unfolds in its own time. Every other sport tries to force the drama of a game on you with a clock. Baseball plays outside of the normal hustle and bustle of everyday life. I deal with a timeclock every day at work. Get this and that done before 4PM, take your break at noon. Baseball simply says here is what has to be done. Sit back, relax, enjoy a beer, enjoy the day, we'll get there when we get there.

The batter/pitcher matchup can be one of the most intriguing and intense sporting event. The hitter guessing what the pitcher is going to do, the pitcher trying to fool the hitter. Great fastball hitters against power pitchers, crafty veterans against young studs. Clemens buzzing Piazza, Pujols glaring out at Lidge, anyone trying to squeeze a pitch into Bonds' strikezone without him putting it into the Cove. And while all that is going on you have the cat and mouse game of Pierre on first trying to find out exactly how far he can push his lead, the infielders moving back and forth from their stances, players in the batters box watching everything the pitcher does trying to gain an advantage. And thats all before the crack of the bat on contact when the field becomes alive with organized chaos. Runners scrambling around the bases, infielders diving for balls just out of their reach then quickly moving to cover their base or cutoff the throw, the catcher tossing the mask and moving up to block the plate, outfielders preparing to throw a rocket to home. The dust settles, everyone gets ready to do it all again.

Exactly. ;-D

There is no "running out the clock", to win you must throw the ball across the plate and give the other team their chance.

I also love the mix of athletic ability and mental sharpness. The game, believe it or not, happens so fast that you have to be ready to react on the fly. The ball goes into the gap turning into a sure double, you have to be ready to position the infielders for a double cut. The speed of the runner, his jump, if he slipped rounding 3rd all factor in to the decision of where to throw it. All this before you even have to make the throw.

Mike Schmidt on baseball: "Any time you think you have the game conquered the game will turn around and punch you right in the nose."
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Many marketing studies have shown, that the NFL and TV was a perfect marriage, simply because of the shared attention span of their consumers. :-)
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Netsfan5 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:38 pm

Interesting, and I've been told you need to know the game to love the game, yet I can't enjoy it. Yes, there may be tons of things going on, but it still takes forever to geta 30 min play. Basketball, these guys do so much back and forth with hardly any time to think with a stoppage in play.
Netsfan5
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:

Quite possibly the greatest post I've ever read. ;-D

Funny, I was about to say the same thing. Nice, Tav.

On top of that, I love the intricacies that come with the game. Insulting the pitcher by standing and watching a deep fly ball, brutally colliding into the catcher and getting up and patting him on the back, working counts depending on the situation.

As J35J implied.....the game is outstanding, for those who understand it. If you don't understand it in its entirety, then you can't possibly appreciate it.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Mugrila » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:52 pm

Netsfan5 wrote:Interesting, and I've been told you need to know the game to love the game, yet I can't enjoy it. Yes, there may be tons of things going on, but it still takes forever to geta 30 min play. Basketball, these guys do so much back and forth with hardly any time to think with a stoppage in play.

That's whats so great, you do need to know the game to love it. The more you know the more you love it. But, like I said before, it's impossible to know everything or see everything about it. There is always something new to you.

Basketball can be exciting, (and no, the NBA is not real basketball) but so much depends on physical ability. (or hard work) You really don't need to have much upstairs to be a good player. Dribble, pass, and shoot. (That's oversimplifying but hopefully you get my point)
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:05 pm

Netsfan5 wrote:Interesting, and I've been told you need to know the game to love the game, yet I can't enjoy it. Yes, there may be tons of things going on, but it still takes forever to geta 30 min play. Basketball, these guys do so much back and forth with hardly any time to think with a stoppage in play.

Yeah, I hate having time to think.

"If you have to ask, you'll never understand." - Louis Armstrong

I think, more than many other sports, baseball is a game you have to grow up loving. If you don't, it's hard to fathom.

Soccer is the same way. I just can't care about the game. I feel the same way about hockey. A 0-0 tie? Who cares?

Football (and, to a lesser extent, basketball) are easier to arrive at late in life. I don't blame you for not liking baseball, but I do pity you. It really is a beautiful, exciting game.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Netsfan5 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:05 pm

So we can agree baseball is a more complicating game on the surface, but when digging further, basketball has tons of things within the game the casual fan wouldn't know same with football.

Baseball seems to be described as beautiful, glorious, intelligent. Why?
Netsfan5
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:23 pm

Great post. ;-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers