Why I hate baseball...A rant - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I hate baseball...A rant

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why I hate baseball...A rant

Postby Netsfan5 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:16 pm

(Feel free to move this to General Talk)

I'm a basketball fan, and a football fan, but my heart lies with Bball. Whenever I go to a baseball game, I can't get excited motivated (Has nothing to do with rooting for a team), the game lags on and on, and I can't seem to enjoy it. There is no period of 5 minutes of intensity, no 3rd and goals, three point buzzer beaters. The best I can get is an extra inning game or maybe a game winning single (very exciting!). Whaty bugs me is it takes probably 30 seconds to a minute to get the pitcher to put the ball in play (pitching). But the play lasts probably 30 seconds. What is the fun of watching a sport where the actual plays, possesions, whatever last under a minute. Putting the ball in play can take a good deal of time compared to a football team and especially bball. Maybe I just like the up tempo ball always in play game of basketball. What's the fun in watching NOTHING!

Baseball is hardly the team sport of bball or football. In football the QB and RB rely on the offensive line to protect them, the Wider Reciever expects the QB to throw him a good pass, the defense relies on the offense, etc. etc.
In Basketball, there is a group of 5 players that need to work as a cohesive unit offensively and defensively to win games. Kobe Bryant can't win games himself. He needs the rest of the team to play defense and offense, same goes for every basketball player. They are all part of a TEAM.

Baseball is an indiviudal sport. Why does that interest you? Batters bat alone, sure they need their teammate to hit the ball, but they have no impact on this. Basketball and football players impact each other. Baseball players hardly impact each other, they only rely on each other slighty, such as the Pitcher and his fielders. I don't see a major team aspect in America's pasttime, at least not nearly as much as basketball or football. Working as a cohesive team is not baseball.

This is my little rant, please respond respectfully, maybe change my opinion of the game. Note I have 3,000ish posts on the bball side, so I am not some random guy trying to annoy you all. ;-D
Last edited by Netsfan5 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Netsfan5
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:23 pm

yes, I HATEEE watching baseball, but I like checking boxscores and following it (and playing fantasy baseball ;-) ) Its so annoying. First the batter has to adjust his batting gloves, then his helmet, then check his bat for cracks, then knock the dirt off his shoes, then spit, then have a freaking staring contest with the pitcher, only to call time. for no reason. I like fast paced sports too netsfan.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby Netsfan5 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:33 pm

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:yes, I HATEEE watching baseball, but I like checking boxscores and following it (and playing fantasy baseball ;-) ) Its so annoying. First the batter has to adjust his batting gloves, then his helmet, then check his bat for cracks, then knock the dirt off his shoes, then spit, then have a freaking staring contest with the pitcher, only to call time. for no reason. I like fast paced sports too netsfan.

Thing is, I can't imagine liking playing a fantasy sport of a sport I CAN'T STAND to watch.
Netsfan5
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bleach168 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:34 pm

Well, baseball isn't for everybody. I have friends who love baseball, and friends who hate baseball. It's normal.

What I like about baseball is everything has meaning. What happens in the 6th inning is dictated by what happened in the 3rd inning. What happens in the last pitch of the at bat depends on what happened in the first pitch of the at bat. It's like a story unfolding before your eyes and it's a little different everytime.

In basketball, it's all the same for the first 3 quarters. In the 4th quarter if one team is down by 10 points or so, then maybe they play a little differently. Otherwise, they stick to the same gameplan the entire way. I mean, you never see the coach take out Jason Kidd because he had too many turnovers in the first half.

Another thing about baseball that I love is Joe Schmoe gets as many chances to succeed as Albert Pujols. If Juan Encarnacion thinks he's the best hitter in the world, he's gonna get a chance to prove it (laff). In the end, we can appreciate Pujols that much more.

In football, it is a shame Larry Johnson was stuck behind Holmes. Same with basketball. So many good players never get enough shots to prove their worth.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:34 pm

It's more of a thinking man's game.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Netsfan5 wrote:
whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:yes, I HATEEE watching baseball, but I like checking boxscores and following it (and playing fantasy baseball ;-) ) Its so annoying. First the batter has to adjust his batting gloves, then his helmet, then check his bat for cracks, then knock the dirt off his shoes, then spit, then have a freaking staring contest with the pitcher, only to call time. for no reason. I like fast paced sports too netsfan.

Thing is, I can't imagine liking playing a fantasy sport of a sport I CAN'T STAND to watch.

Basketball is my favorite sport to play (but i dont play fantasy basketball) Basketball isnt that fun either to watch unless its Lebron, or two great teams. Playoffs is exciting though. and thats another thing. In baseball I dont think the playoffs are anything special compared to playoffs of hockey and basketball and football. Theres not that much too cheer ;-7 Im sure well get jumped by some posters soon.... :-D

but i guess i can stand to watch 2 or 3 innings, but only if im multi tasking or changing the channel.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:38 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:It's more of a thinking man's game.

you think in football, basketball, hockey, etc? What are you saying?
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Why I hate baseball...A rant

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:39 pm

Netsfan5 wrote:Basketball and football players impact each other. Baseball players hardly impact each other, they only rely on each other slighty, such as the Pitcher and his fielders. Working as a cohesive team is not baseball.

Slighty?
Gotcha..
2/3 of the game itself .. slightly. ;-7
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby J35J » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:40 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:It's more of a thinking man's game.

Alot of people like baseball, some don't and even fewer understand it.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby wrveres » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:44 pm

Name me another sport were somebody can fail 7 out of 10 times for his career, and be called a "God" ... ?

But the pitching and defense are .. slighty
Last edited by wrveres on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers