No David Ross?
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:07 am

RJ24VC15 wrote:I'm debating if getting a top 3 catcher is worth it, or to just wait and get someone real late.

For me, this all depends on whether or not Mauer and/or VMart start seeing more time not behind the plate. If these two start playing some 1B or increased DH time, than I think they're worth an early round selection. If not, then nah, not worth a top 3-4 rnd draft pick.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:13 am

cordscords wrote:No David Ross?

Isn't he approaching his mid 30's....... He will probably struggle to see enough playing time, similar to this year but he won't mash like this year again in the limited playing time.... IMHO.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:23 am

Ross has the job and if pitchers still throw him fastballs he'll be top 10 easy. Now if only he could catch...
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:57 am

Wow no love for Molina?

I love Martin. Definitely targeting him next season.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby tal1286 » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:36 am

Yoda wrote:Wow no love for Molina?

I love Martin. Definitely targeting him next season.

I would not be surprised if Martin did really well. He put up good numbers for a catcher in his first full season. Plus he steals bases. Could be a good sleeper pick at C next season if he falls as low as 9th among catchers.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stumpak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:14 pm

I agee that Molina should be quite a bit higher.

I would not touch Varitek with a ten foot pole.

But most importantly, Barrett should be significantly higher. On a per AB basis, who did better than him last year other than Mauer? (or Ross, whose performance I believe was largely an aberration) And before anyone says it, there is no injury trend with Barrett - he missed time due to punching out AJP and getting tagged in the nuts with a foul tip, which could happen to any C. He should definitely be top 5.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GridIronGiant » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:22 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
RJ24VC15 wrote:I'm debating if getting a top 3 catcher is worth it, or to just wait and get someone real late.

For me, this all depends on whether or not Mauer and/or VMart start seeing more time not behind the plate. If these two start playing some 1B or increased DH time, than I think they're worth an early round selection. If not, then nah, not worth a top 3-4 rnd draft pick.

I agree with this post except there is no freaking way you can draft a catcher that early either way. The top fantasy catcher is still not even a top 100 player so drafting one that early is ridiculous.
GridIronGiant
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:28 pm

stumpak wrote:I agee that Molina should be quite a bit higher.

I would not touch Varitek with a ten foot pole.

But most importantly, Barrett should be significantly higher. On a per AB basis, who did better than him last year other than Mauer? (or Ross, whose performance I believe was largely an aberration) And before anyone says it, there is no injury trend with Barrett - he missed time due to punching out AJP and getting tagged in the nuts with a foul tip, which could happen to any C. He should definitely be top 5.

I had Varitek this year, so ya he does scare me as well.

I think Barrett is what he is and that is exactly what he's done the last 3 years. I don't see him at this point in his career putting up much better numbers than what he's done the last 3 years. He seems to be limited with the number of AB's they give him as well which is about 50 less than the other top guys.

Molina always shares ABs with someone more than you would think, he has only seen 450+ ABs once in his career and I figure he will probably share a little time with Zaun again this coming year. He actually almost hurts you in the run category as well (around 40). But like most of us has said, anyone in the 10-25 range could put up similar numbers so if you wanted to move him up a couple spots i wouldn't get mad at ya nor would I really object.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby Old_Style » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:16 pm

what's the situation in anahiem? is it more likely to be molina or napoli? if napoli gets most of the time there i think he could be an honorable mention for a top 15
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers