I'm generally not one to START a political thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm generally not one to START a political thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:45 am

I spoke to my mother over the weekend; she's the director of an upscale retirement community in south Florida... she's also staunchly moderate, if not a bit left leaning. Apparently there was a tax in FL imposed on senior citizens regarding assisted living expenses that was unpopular with the senior citizens there. Foley played a large part in having this tax repealed, and as such, my mother's company organized a little ceremony praising Rep. Foley for his contributions. They gave him a gift certificate to a local upscale restaurant and bottle of Dom Perignon; apparently it's legal to give politicians gifts in the form of food.

When he was there, my mother said to a co-worker, "He has to be gay." Most of them agreed, except of course a few of the more conservative co-workers. Someone in the office even said he knew that Foley was gay. It was a topic of discussion I suppose and then it died out.

And then this happened. It's interesting how things happen.

She also told me to tell ACS "Thanks." What's that supposed to mean!!!???

What irritates me now though is the excuses. He was molested by priests as a child, or he has an alcohol problem, or feel bad for him because he has the "gay disease." Own up douche.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:48 am

slomo007 wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:He made sexual innuendoes and comments to multiple pages under the age of 18. I agree with what AA has had to say. This is disgusting and I think its almost as bad hearing religious people, other politicians, and the media trying to condone his actions. I actually listened to Rush Limbaugh try and blame Foley's actions on the Democrats, since Clinton had a sex scandal then the Democrats condone this behavior and thats why Foley did these actions...its the dems fault. Haha. I think its so funny that he is comparing a guy getting a sexual favor from an ADULT consenting woman to trying to have sex with underage boys.

While I do agree what Foley did was worse than Clinton, you do have to keep in mind that Clinton was married while Foley is not. If not for the kids being underage, I would say Clinton's actions were actually quite worse. But, they were underage so obviously that's terrible.

Oh, and this thread should be locked. ;-7

Adultery is worse the pedophilia???

Yikes
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:57 am

acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:He made sexual innuendoes and comments to multiple pages under the age of 18. I agree with what AA has had to say. This is disgusting and I think its almost as bad hearing religious people, other politicians, and the media trying to condone his actions. I actually listened to Rush Limbaugh try and blame Foley's actions on the Democrats, since Clinton had a sex scandal then the Democrats condone this behavior and thats why Foley did these actions...its the dems fault. Haha. I think its so funny that he is comparing a guy getting a sexual favor from an ADULT consenting woman to trying to have sex with underage boys.

While I do agree what Foley did was worse than Clinton, you do have to keep in mind that Clinton was married while Foley is not. If not for the kids being underage, I would say Clinton's actions were actually quite worse. But, they were underage so obviously that's terrible.

Yikes

May want to read what I wrote. ;-)
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 am

acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Yikes

Yikes is right; I love moral ambiguity.

I don't know if I should go off on this statement. Are you saying that sexually explicit messages to 16 year olds is OK because he's not married? Or would it just be worse if he was married? Would it be worse that he's gay if he were married? Is adultery more immoral than homosexuality?

Here we go, since everyone here loves absolutes in terms of legality...

Is adultery illegal? No.
Is being gay illegal? No.
Is soliciting 16 year olds for sex illegal? You better believe it.

Even if he wasn't soliciting them, I don't care how you feel about adultery and/or homosexuality... I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who put pedophelia lower on the immorality list than adultery and homosexuality.

Why is this even being compared to Clinton? Clinton broke no laws; Foley very well may have. That said, last time I checked, Clinton is still married.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:00 am

slomo007 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Yikes

Its confusing you say Foley was Worse then clinton oh oh nevermind sorry that speed reading class I took must have some side effects.

Sorry... :-D ;-7
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:01 am

acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Yikes

Its confusing you say Foley was Worse then clinton oh oh nevermind sorry that speed reading class I took must have some side effects.

What he said was that if Foley were writing those messages to, say, an 18 year old, then what Clinton did was worse.

Give me a break, I see a lot more Christians condemning homosexuality than adultery... that's because adultery is pretty widespread, regardless of your morals, political leanings or religion.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:01 am

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Yikes

Yikes is right; I love moral ambiguity.

I don't know if I should go off on this statement. Are you saying that sexually explicit messages to 16 year olds is OK because he's not married? Or would it just be worse if he was married? Would it be worse that he's gay if he were married? Is adultery more immoral than homosexuality?

Here we go, since everyone here loves absolutes in terms of legality...

Is adultery illegal? No.
Is being gay illegal? No.
Is soliciting 16 year olds for sex illegal? You better believe it.

Even if he wasn't soliciting them, I don't care how you feel about adultery and/or homosexuality... I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who put pedophelia lower on the immorality list than adultery and homosexuality.

Why is this even being compared to Clinton? Clinton broke no laws; Foley very well may have. That said, last time I checked, Clinton is still married.

If this thread does get locked, it's because of ignorant statements like that one.

My goodness, do you two even read threads before replying?

I said:

So, what Foley did is worse than Clinton. But, if they were of legal age (ie, 18), I personally think that Clinton's actions would have been worse. But, that's not the case so obviously Foley's actions are terribly worse than Clinton's.

Should I stop using such large words for you two?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:02 am

Coppermine and I apparently have a small attention span :)
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:04 am

slomo007 wrote:

So, what Foley did is worse than Clinton. But, if they were of legal age (ie, 18), I personally think that Clinton's actions would have been worse. But, that's not the case so obviously Foley's actions are terribly worse than Clinton's.

Should I stop using such large words for you two?

I disagree completely, and if that were the case, then hypocracy would be rampant in here; i'm just trying to get an idea of your moral scale? I'm under the impression that there is no sin worse to a conservative than homosexuality. I think that's absurd, but it certainly seems that way. Very few conservatives condemn adultery as adamently as homosexuality, and for good reason. Rudy Giuliani had an affair, I don't see people running around calling him a sinner.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:04 am

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Yikes

What he said was that if Foley were writing those messages to, say, an 18 year old, then what Clinton did was worse.

Give me a break, I see a lot more Christians condemning homosexuality than adultery... that's because adultery is pretty widespread, regardless of your morals, political leanings or religion.

Do you take in to account the offices that Foley and Clinton were in? Clinton was the President of the US. Kids looked up to him, idolized him, wanted to be him. If the pages he solicited had been 18 years old, then yes I think Clinton's actions were far worse than a single gay guy hitting on an 18 year old.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk