I'm generally not one to START a political thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm generally not one to START a political thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm generally not one to START a political thread

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:53 pm

But something has been bothering me for the last week or so. Why has the religious right been so silent about Mark Foley?

Obviously, no one here thinks that Foley is a good guy. Don't get into that discussion. I want to know why he hasn't been strongly condemned by our "moral leaders."

That's all.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:47 pm

That's because the religious right are republicans and Foley was a republican. Most republicans make a living billing themselves as morally right and religously concerned. This is a big election year. There's no way these guys will come out and attack one of their own.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:49 pm

I've been avoiding the Foley thing; the discussion just screams "lock this thread," but I only have on thing to share.....

Way to go Fox News.... :-[
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigken117 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:38 pm

most republicans have distanced themselves from Foley, (though maybe not outright condeming him), especially those currently up for re-election.

AA, that sig has to cross some sort of line :*)

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Re: I'm generally not one to START a political thread

Postby JTWood » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:53 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:But something has been bothering me for the last week or so. Why has the religious right been so silent about Mark Foley?

Obviously, no one here thinks that Foley is a good guy. Don't get into that discussion. I want to know why he hasn't been strongly condemned by our "moral leaders."

That's all.

Because everyone involved in politics is a hypocrite?

Just guessing...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:55 pm

I'm extremely apolitical personally, but I reckon that Republicans and much of their constituent base, including the far-right born agains, are just separating themselves for Foley as damage control.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:30 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm extremely apolitical personally, but I reckon that Republicans and much of their constituent base, including the far-right born agains, are just separating themselves for Foley as damage control.

Of course they are, this whole thing screams of hypocricy, but as someone said, they're all hypocrits to some degree.. you pander and make statements and assertions that may not be right, or true, or moral, so long as they rally your base. Independence is frowned upon in congress.

But Foley was the chairman of the Missing and Exploited Children committee. I can just imagine what would be happening right now if Foley was a Democrat... it would be ugly. But I'd prefer all candidates stay away from it, and let the election take its course. Just look at the polls; people have a bad taste in their mouths concerning our current politicians, republican or democrat, and that pun is somewhat intended. ;-7
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:32 pm

Coppermine wrote:I've been avoiding the Foley thing; the discussion just screams "lock this thread," but I only have on thing to share.....

Way to go Fox News.... :-[

Thats awesome.

Go Fox!!! Actually not a bad idea by fox...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:39 pm

I haven't been following the political world lately because I am sick of it, plus I have really been focusing on school.

Anyways, I was watching Chris Matthews (I think that's his name) on something and he was mentioning that the Dems actually have a really good shot at winning one of the branches and a decent shot at the other. I would love to see the Dems finally take control of the House or Senate if not both, to take some of the power away from the Republicans. I am a believer that one party should never be in control of all 3 branches.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Phatferd wrote:I haven't been following the political world lately because I am sick of it, plus I have really been focusing on school.

Anyways, I was watching Chris Matthews (I think that's his name) on something and he was mentioning that the Dems actually have a really good shot at winning one of the branches and a decent shot at the other. I would love to see the Dems finally take control of the House or Senate if not both, to take some of the power away from the Republicans. I am a believer that one party should never be in control of all 3 branches.

Are you saying you don't support the troops :)

Agreed I really think there should be two presidents.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk