Is Nevin the best mid-season surprise? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Nevin the best mid-season surprise?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Nevin the best mid-season surprise?

Postby Quaker » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:34 am

In the middle of the season, it became apparent that Nevin would indeed return this year instead of sitting out the whole season. Initially, he wasn't going to return until at least August, but then it seemed like he would be activated in July. I took a flyer on him and stashed him on the DL. Everyone was saying he was worth a DL spot, but probably wouldn't do anything coming off shoulder surgery.

I've gotta say that I'm incredibly happy I've picked him up. He's far surpassed my expectations.

If you project his current numbers over 162 games, Nevin would hit 40 HRs and drive in 140 runs. Very nice.

I'm in first place, and I think I owe it to Nevin since Giambi has been sucking ass for a while.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 781
Joined: 30 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:36 am

I agree that Nevin has been a nice surprise this year. I don't own him, but he has done better than I thought he would. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby jebatzel » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:36 am

yeah he was a nice pickup for me too.

Wilson Alverez and Brad Radke have helped me a lot pitching wise too.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 3868
Joined: 15 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Carlisle, Pa

Re: Is Nevin the best mid-season surprise?

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:42 am

Quaker wrote:If you project his current numbers over 162 games, Nevin would hit 40 HRs and drive in 140 runs. Very nice.


Projecting numbers over a year creates problems but he has been a nice late season addition. Too bad that I tipped off my friend to pick him up and he ended up beating me "by a nose" in the playoffs.
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: Is Nevin the best mid-season surprise?

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:46 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Quaker wrote:If you project his current numbers over 162 games, Nevin would hit 40 HRs and drive in 140 runs. Very nice.


Projecting numbers over a year creates problems but he has been a nice late season addition. Too bad that I tipped off my friend to pick him up and he ended up beating me "by a nose" in the playoffs.


Your friend had Nomar, huh? 8-o

Roflmao! :-b Sorry, I am a fan of Nomar, but I just couldn't resist that joke about his nose. ;-7
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Is Nevin the best mid-season surprise?

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:53 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Quaker wrote:If you project his current numbers over 162 games, Nevin would hit 40 HRs and drive in 140 runs. Very nice.


Projecting numbers over a year creates problems but he has been a nice late season addition. Too bad that I tipped off my friend to pick him up and he ended up beating me "by a nose" in the playoffs.


Your friend had Nomar, huh? 8-o

Roflmao! :-b Sorry, I am a fan of Nomar, but I just couldn't resist that joke about his nose. ;-7


I'm with you on that, Mad. ;-D
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:42 am

45 Rbis already in 53 games. I'll take it, and to think some people said to stay away. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:58 am

wrveres wrote:45 Rbis already in 53 games. I'll take it, and to think some people said to stay away. :-)


He has heated up nicely but I'm sure that you weren't that confident when he first came back. 8-o
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:30 am

Lofunzo wrote:
wrveres wrote:45 Rbis already in 53 games. I'll take it, and to think some people said to stay away. :-)


He has heated up nicely but I'm sure that you weren't that confident when he first came back. 8-o


started him on the first possible day ...
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pilambp » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:19 am

This is just another benefit of visiting the cafe. Everyone here was up on Nevin's return, and tipped off everyone who visited to pick him up and store him away.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 955
Joined: 4 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In the Dugout, with a laptop

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact