Maddux still worth a late pick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddux still worth a late pick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maddux still worth a late pick?

Postby eftda » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:14 am

He won 15 games again this year but at a heavy price. He was 15-14 with a 4.20 era and a 1.22 whip.

3-year avg (04-06)
Wins: 15
K: 134
ERA: 4.16
Whip: 1.22

According to the TSN Games Commissioner, the AVG NL pitcher supported the following stats in 05 (06 stats aren't out yet).

W: 13
K: 147
ERA: 3.65
WHIP: 1.24

Everything looks fine but Maddux's ERA worries me. He hasn't posted an ERA under 4.00 since 2003. With the High era, the low K's and the reputation that comes along with his name, is Maddux still worth a draft pick? If I am reading the ESPN player profile right, Maddux was drafted (on avg) in the 17th round. I am a believer that hitting wins championships, so taking Maddux in the 17th seems fine. However he is getting older and his his numbers are steadily declining. What do you guys think about Maddux in 2007? Is he still worth a late draft pick?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:23 am

Maddux has been washed up for three years. He will fool you with spurts of decent pitching and then go get torched for a while to make up for it. Stay away. It is only going to get worse if the Dodgers do not bring him back.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cordscords » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:27 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Maddux has been washed up for three years. He will fool you with spurts of decent pitching and then go get torched for a while to make up for it. Stay away. It is only going to get worse if the Dodgers do not bring him back.

I agree. He still holds solid value inNL only leagues (if he signs with an NL team) but for mixed he makes for a guy you look to add when he's on a hot streak or for spot starts.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:56 am

Maddux is more of a spot starter now imo. He would be the type of pitcher that I would draft and start him for 20 of his 33 games.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RJ24VC15 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:36 pm

Personally I think there are guys with more upside that you should take late.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:21 am

yup, stay the f away
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:31 am

I've always like Maddux and have had him on a many a team, but I think I'm gonna stay away this next year. Unless I can get him really late. The ERA is a killer if you are relying on him as a part of your starting staff. A spot starter and fill in pitcher when he is running good, OK. But I can't see much more than that from him.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby stumpak » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:23 pm

I plan to stay away. If I am going to take on a guy who I expect to be that mediocre as a baseline, I will at least want to him to have an upside. Maddux has no real upside left.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:41 pm

If he can duplicate this year's numbers, I'll be happy to have him on my team next year as a 15th+ round pick. Solid back-of-the-rotation guy.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:17 pm

George_Foreman wrote:If he can duplicate this year's numbers, I'll be happy to have him on my team next year as a 15th+ round pick. Solid back-of-the-rotation guy.

Maybe, but I do not not think so. Maddux has proven to be very ordinary (in fact he outright blows at times) and will still have to pitch half the time away from Dodger Stadium (assuming he goes back to the Dodgers). Without Dodger Stadium he will be borderline fantasy gasoline imo. He has not been all that good for a few years now and is not getting any younger either.

I just do not see much better than a 4.2 ERA in the best case, which is nothing to be concerned with in most 10 or 12 team mixed leagues, esp since he is not a K pitcher at this point. I just do not think he has a whole lot left. Great pitcher who had a great career. He can certainly hook on somewhere and still contribute, but honestly he should retire at this point and wait for the HOF to call. The man has absolutely nothing left to prove.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers