I think I got scammed and I need some advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I think I got scammed and I need some advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I think I got scammed and I need some advice

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:13 pm

Alright guys here is the story. Every year I play in one FBB league with my friends from college. This year one of my friends in that league said he was joining another H2H league that is $100 per team. It was a slightly different type of league than I was used to and I wanted some new competition, so joined the league with my friend. He had been in a league run by the same commish in 2005 ($40 entry) and had no issues. The commish of this league runs multiple money leagues and everything looks to be on the up and up.

Lets fast forward to mid-season. In this 14 team league I notice that one manager is completely inactive. This blows my mind when people pay $100. I sent an email to the commish just asking him what was the deal with the guy who was not playing. No response. I posted on the board and some players responded, but not the commish. In about a week I noticed the commish locked the inactive team without an explanation and that was the end of it. I was suspicious but forgot about it because some action was taken.

Now it is coming to the end of the year (about September 1st) and I am closing in on a cash prize. I request a rules clarification from the commish on the board and via email. No response. I am getting mad and I really think this is some scam. The regular season ends and I come in 2nd, a nice $375 prize. I notice on the Managers link on the Yahoo league page that the commish has not been to the league since September 1st. In the meantime I get group emails from this clown inviting me to join his hockey and football leagues. I send him a nasty email and he finally responds. He apologizes for not checking the board but does not answer my questions. He instead invites me to join his Hockey league again.

The H2H playoffs end and my friend in the league wins ($175). We both won a prize and send him separate emails the day after the season end asking how he handles payouts. A week passes and neither one of us has received a response. This is complete crap. I understand people have busy lives but you need to be responsible for leagues you run.

So I guess I got scammed and I feel like a complete idiot. What should I do now? I planned on sending Yahoo an email but I don't know how much help I would get. I know they are not responsible for wagering within their game but maybe they will disable his account. I sent him money through PayPal. Can they help me in any way? I have two email addresses for this guy and his AOL and Yahoo IM. At a minimum I can flood this guy with Spam and stuff like that. Any of you computer guys know how I could track him down? The $100 lost will be my lesson learned but I would at least like to stop this guy from doing this to his other active leagues.

Anyone have any advice?

PS- I might need to change my avatar to something involving a dunce cap. !+)
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Simulacrum » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Yahoo most likely won't be able to help you get the money back, but if he is running multiple Yahoo fantasy scams you should let them know so they can do something about him.

Paypal may be able to help get your money back. They are an Ebay company and Ebay offers great fraud prevention and assistance to its users. I would get in touch with both companies, personally.

Good luck. ;-D

By the way, you should join a fantasy hockey league I'm forming. Send me a hundred bucks. :-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Phatferd » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Wouldn't this fall under the "gambling" category? I don't think PayPal will be that willing to have your back in a case like this.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:07 pm

Yeah I am not expecting much help but I will give it a shot.

Sim, the check is in the mail. The return address will say "SUCKER" !+)
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Join the hockey league and then email everyone in the league and let them know what happened. After that I start posting about it on the league board until he either blocks you or acknowledges you.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Coppermine » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:01 pm

Don't even consider telling Yahoo or PayPal about this; it is illegal to play fantasy sports for money in the United States and both company's may have a policy to turn you in. I repeat, IT IS ILLEGAL TO PLAY FANTASY SPORTS FOR MONEY IN AMERICA.

That's not to say there is usually not a problem, but perhaps this clown is scamming a lot of people. Doesn't anyone in this league know this guy? You're going to have to do what you can on your own.

I also like Pogo's idiea... join the Hockey league and tell everyone what he did and that you will not pay the fee until you get your winnings. Assuming he ponies up, you can just say "screw hockey" and not even participate. That way he gets a rude awakening.

But, it's likely you may have been scammed, and if so, you may need to bite it. No one will assist you if it comes to money and I'm quite sure that it is in Yahoo's policy. PayPal is probably similar.

He also might be just a lazy jerk (seems that way) and you'll have to pester him until he pays up. But assuming he knows the ball is in his court, so to speak, it may be tough.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:19 pm

Thanks for the advice Copper. I figured Yahoo or paypal wouldn't be much help but I thought they might at least suspend his accounts.

I have tried to join the hockey league but I was a few days late. I will keep sending emails to my league to see if I can track this guy down on my own.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to General Talk