Let's Talk NLCS... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Let's Talk NLCS...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's Talk NLCS...

Postby JTWood » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:28 pm

Am I being presumptuous? O:-)

Seriously, though, do you think that LaRussa starts Reyes in the NLCS if they make it? I have to think he's on the roster, which means... Marquis is off???

Mmm... No Marquis on the NLCS roster... :-L :-L :-L
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:18 pm

i have no idea what TLR would do. none at all. tony seems to be fine in the division series. he sometimes out thinks himself in the LCS or WS. when the pressure is on he makes some interesting decisions. i wouldnt be surprised if marquis started a game. i wouldnt be suprised if thompson started a game either. i dont have confidence in either marquis or reyes, and i think TLR feels the same way. none of the options look particularly good. can you go with a bullpen game in the LCS? is it possible to have a three man rotation?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:33 am

eh, let's wait until they get there.
If it is me, Reyes would be on the roster now instead of Marquis.
I mean what purpose does Marquis serve? If he actually starts another game I will think TLR has lost his mind. And I wouldn't bring him in a pressure situation. So he is there to mop up?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:12 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:eh, let's wait until they get there.
If it is me, Reyes would be on the roster now instead of Marquis.
I mean what purpose does Marquis serve? If he actually starts another game I will think TLR has lost his mind. And I wouldn't bring him in a pressure situation. So he is there to mop up?

A pinch hitter in a real jam? I honestly have no idea either.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:52 pm

the only thing i can think of is the marquis hangover.

teams get tired from running around the bases and accustomed to see fat pitches over the strike zone and are unable to adjust the next day.

marquis gives up 7 runs to the nationals on april 28. the nationals only manage one run the next day.

marquis blows up against white sox on june 21. anthony reyes one hits the chisox on june 22.

marquis gives up 7 runs to the indians on june 26. indians only manage to score three runs the next day.

marquis gives up 12 runs to the braves on july 18. cards beat braves 8-3 on july 19.

so basically, if a game is already lost marquis will come in and give up 12 runs in an inning thereby reducing that team's ability to score runs the next day.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:41 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:the only thing i can think of is the marquis hangover.

teams get tired from running around the bases and accustomed to see fat pitches over the strike zone and are unable to adjust the next day.

marquis gives up 7 runs to the nationals on april 28. the nationals only manage one run the next day.

marquis blows up against white sox on june 21. anthony reyes one hits the chisox on june 22.

marquis gives up 7 runs to the indians on june 26. indians only manage to score three runs the next day.

marquis gives up 12 runs to the braves on july 18. cards beat braves 8-3 on july 19.

so basically, if a game is already lost marquis will come in and give up 12 runs in an inning thereby reducing that team's ability to score runs the next day.

Brilliant! ;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:29 am

So, I'm guessing Weaver in game 1. Does Carp pitch on short rest to go Thurs. or does Suppan go? I really hope Reyes is the 4th starter not Marquis.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:43 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:So, I'm guessing Weaver in game 1. Does Carp pitch on short rest to go Thurs. or does Suppan go? I really hope Reyes is the 4th starter not Marquis.

Ideally, we go Weaver, Supp, Carp, and Reyes (please, no Marquis!). If we lose Weaver's start, though, I think you have to throw Carp in Game Two. With the day of rest in between Games Two & Three, he could throw again as early as Game Five and then in relief in Game Seven, if needed. You don't want to come home down 0-2 with your ace only able to start two games under the condition that the series goes to seven games.

I really wish we'd swept San Diego, though. This would be a lot easier to think about.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:41 am

duncan said carp will not pitch on short rest. makes sense to me. he cant make more than two starts regardless. its either games 2 & 6 or games 3 & 7. if you are banking on two wins from carp then you need two wins from the rest of the crew. if they get their two wins then there will be a game 7. if there is a game 7 carp is the one you want pitching it.

i dont know if the mets have picked an order but glavine/maine/trachsel/oliver perez isnt exactly the kind of rotation that puts fear in you. you dont need to do something desperate in order to beat them.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:48 pm

early notes...

rolen (.358/.493/.585 career line against glavine) is probable for game 1.

TLR is playing games about who will start game 4. bernie gets the impression it will be reyes. here's hoping he doenst have an ankiel like meltdown.

Rolen feels better after a couple of days off.

Had a good workout ... took some good cuts in the batting cage.

La Russa indicated that Rolen will be in there against Glavine; wouldn't confirm.

Rolen is very adamant that he's OK to play, and wants to play.

La Russa playing top secret on Game 4 starter ...

But talking to Duncan and others -- the strong hunch is Reyes will get the call.

We'll know tomorrow; the guy who doesn't get the Game 4 start is unlikely to be on the roster.

Word from the Mets camp is Dave WIlliams will start Game 4.

Cardinals worked out already and most have left Shea Stadium. They're staying in a nice hotel near Times Square.

Mets are on the field now.

I may be adding stuff later after I get the transcripts from the interview room.

--B

_________
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals