Pot slows down alzheimers better then prescription drugs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Pot slows down alzheimers better then prescription drugs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Coppermine wrote:Pot basically affects your perception of time more than anything; it doesn't specifically cause you to lose memory or brain cells... certainly not the way alcohol does.

This is a great point. The fact is that alcohol kills brain cells. Pot simply messes with the connectors that allow brain cells to communicate. So while people are "out of it" for a while, eventually the effects wear off, and you brain goes back to functioning normally.

Now any time you light something on fire and suck it into your lungs, there will be harmful effects. As with cigarettes (again, legal), pot can certainly cause lung cancer and other effects related to smoking. But in most cases, pot is consumed in much smaller quantities than cigarettes are.

There are people out there who just can't handle pot for whatever reason (chemical imbalance maybe, I don't know) and do get messed up permanently. But it's very rare.

Coppermine wrote:Let's not jump on acs for trying to make a point; a lot of people would agree that the criminalization of marijuana is counterproductive in our society. I'm not the type of person who simply accepts the fact the certain consequences do not fit the crime and this is certainly the case. I'm extremely irritated that violent offenders are constantly given a slap on the wrist while a kid smoking dope is thrown in jail. Marijuana is also something that can be found at all class and income levels. It's not just something dumb college kids or people on welfare partake in. If i had it my way, there would be ZERO tolerance for violent offenses. You punch someone... jail. Yeah, harsh I know, but I don't know of anyone that hurt someone else from smoking a joint.

ACS's example isn't the best, i agree, because consequences are clearly outlined and simply because our society is intolerant is not justification for the means. A lot of students have been kicked out of college for getting caught smoking up... fair? No way. Reality? Unfortunately. We can discuss until we're all blue in the face on the health benefits of marijuana, or it's relatively harmless side effects as opposed to something like alcohol which is perfectly legal.

So I'll end with the perceptions of the two parts of our society from a talk show that featured Michael Regan, son of the former president, and an FBI agent who had a contemporary kicked out of the FBI simply because someone asked him if he'd ever tried marijuana, and he said 'yes.'

Reagan said, "So you're telling me that it's ok for an FBI agent to go home and get blind drunk and stupid every night of the week, but completely inappropriate for him to simply admit that, at one point of his life, he had tried pot?" To which the FBI agent replied, "Getting blind drunk is not illegal."

So that's where our society stands... does the law allow it? If no, then condemn. Rinse. Repeat. I think it would be prudent for more people to have an open mind on the matter and to realize that not only is marijuana use widespread, but also not particularly a problem. The war on drugs targets pot smokers because they're mostly young, easy to catch and statistically counts as a win in the "war on drugs." So what about coke and heroin users? Well, not as well enforced... after all, those DEA guys don't want to get shot at!

So, thanks to the crackdown on marijuana, more and more people are turning to another drug that is relatively cheap, and even easy to make... meth. You want to see dead brain cells? See a tweaker.

This is a great post. ;-D

I don't see eye-to-eye with Cu on a lot of issues, but I'm right here on this one. The war against drugs has turned into the war against marijuana, which is arguably the least harmful of all the mainstream drugs (including alcohol). And it's directly led to the increased production and consumption of meth, which is arguably the most harmful. Good work U.S.

I'm very conservative in regards to most issues, but not this one.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:06 pm

From Dea.gov

MARIJUANA IS DANGEROUS TO THE USER AND OTHERS

Legalization of marijuana, no matter how it begins, will come at the expense of our children and public safety. It will create dependency and treatment issues, and open the door to use of other drugs, impaired health, delinquent behavior, and drugged drivers.

It doesn't tell you how its dangerous.

If I drive a car with snakes in my pants then thats dangerous. Not illegal just dangerous.

"It will create dependency and treatment issues" so does caffeine, mcdonalds, television. What does that even mean?

It will open the door to use of other drugs? Huh... You know what opens the door to other drugs? Everything

Just read the link of lies:

http://www.dea.gov/marijuana_position.html

Funny wording etc...
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:54 pm

acsguitar wrote:If I drive a car with snakes in my pants then thats dangerous. Not illegal just dangerous.

Reckless endangerment.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:04 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:If I drive a car with snakes in my pants then thats dangerous. Not illegal just dangerous.

Reckless endangerment.

:) Ok sorry
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:06 pm

Madison wrote:

Reckless endangerment.

Not necessarily.

And Big Pimpin, it sounds like your view on marijuana is fairly conservative. I'm all over the political spectrum from issue to issue, but when it comes to weed, and drugs in general, I'm as conservative as you can get.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:09 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:And Big Pimpin, it sounds like your view on marijuana is fairly conservative. I'm all over the political spectrum from issue to issue, but when it comes to weed, and drugs in general, I'm as conservative as you can get.

Well I guess it depends on how you look at it... ;-)

It's against the Republican stance that "drugs are evil, and all should be outlawed" and it's closer to the Libertarian view of "what I do to myself is none of your business, leave me alone." So while the face of "conservatism" is probably the Republican party, I can see how my stance can be construed as conservative. :-)

Is that what you mean?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:55 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:And Big Pimpin, it sounds like your view on marijuana is fairly conservative. I'm all over the political spectrum from issue to issue, but when it comes to weed, and drugs in general, I'm as conservative as you can get.

It's against the Republican stance that "drugs are evil, and all should be outlawed" and it's closer to the Libertarian view of "what I do to myself is none of your business, leave me alone." So while the face of "conservatism" is probably the Republican party, I can see how my stance can be construed as conservative. :-)

Is that what you mean?

Exactly.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Is that what you mean?

Exactly.

Does this mean you choose the 3 foot glass bong over the 6 foot sectional bong?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

Is that what you mean?

Exactly.

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. :-)

acsguitar wrote:Does this mean you choose the 3 foot glass bong over the 6 foot sectional bong?

Who cares? Whatever you've got lying around is good with me. O:-)
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:15 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:

Is that what you mean?

See, I certainly consider myself more of a liberal; however, I also identify with the libertarian view of small government, personal freedoms and pragmatism.

It just shows that there is no true "liberal" or true "conservative." We all have our ways of thinking and as much as we want to identify with all the views of the majority which shares them, we all have your ideas that contradict that.

Anyway, that's the cool part; some things have no right or wrong.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk