I've done the hard work..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I've done the hard work.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:06 pm

markj11 wrote:What rounds would you go after guys like Zumaya, Shields, Neshek and Meredith? My league counts K/9 and K/BB so I think these guys will be a lot more valuable than middle tier closers.

A lot of it depends on your league ip settings, depth of the league, whether you're roto/h2h and how much roster space you have.

In h2h these guys are marginal plays due to the unpredictability of their work and the small influence they have on the overall ratios. The exception to this would be if you run several mr's and just try to sneak in right at your league's ip minimum.

In roto the less ip available to each rostered pitcher the more valuable these guys get. In a 1250ip league where a team that rosters 10 pitchers has to average 125ip per pitcher a MR that pitches 75 innings would need to be paired with a SP that pitches 175 innings to meet that average.

This leads to the next issue - league depth. A closer is usually more valuable than a MR because the impact the closer has on ratios isn't high and they're contributing in all 5 categories (the only type of pitcher that can make that claim). In a shallow league (8-10 teams or less pitchers used) you'll probably be better off going with a closer that posts solid ratios versus a MR that posts great ratios. In deeper leagues though where the quality closers are going to go earlier MR's can become more valuable.

As to where to draft them...if we're talking about your run-of-the-mill 12 team yahoo ruleset then I probably wouldn't draft one at all. There are usually more than enough to go around and you'd be better taking a pre-season flyer on a guy than taking most MR's. I might consider taking Zumaya in the last couple of rounds but with the hype going on around him I doubt he'd be there.

If you're in a more competitive and/or deeper league then you just have to look at the factors that I've mentioned above and make some sort of a judgment call. Just keep in mind that there are a LOT of major league pitchers that can put up very nice ratios in single inning stints. Pitchers can take a different approach to a one inning appearance and therefore typically put up better numbers in those situations. So while the MR strategy is very sound, you shouldn't overpay to use it (nor should you have to overpay). When you strip chance for save opportunities out of your analysis you'll be surprised at how many guys there are out there that have a quality skill-set and are rosterable for a MR strategy.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rooster7 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:58 pm

Id love a copy of that if it is at all possible mailto:dat03@fsu.edu thanks
rooster7
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:12 pm

rooster7 wrote:Id love a copy of that if it is at all possible mailto:dat03@fsu.edu thanks

Sent
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Ben_Sheets » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:29 pm

I'd love a copy, send it to mailto:ben_sheets15@yahoo.com please

Thanks in advance
Ben_Sheets
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:51 pm

Ben_Sheets wrote:I'd love a copy, send it to mailto:ben_sheets15@yahoo.com please

Thanks in advance

Sent
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby sooner711 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:34 pm

Shot ya a pm...
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby JohnnyBenchBest Ever » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:33 pm

If your still sending out copies of your spread sheet I'd love to get one. Great work.
JohnnyBenchBest Ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby geronamo » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Please send a copy to mailto:visneskie@telecomottawa.net

Thanks,
Jason
geronamo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bellybrother » Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:45 pm

This is exactly why this site is what ie is....very well played sir.
bellybrother
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers