I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues!

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:39 pm

wrveres wrote:I really think that if you want to enjoy Fantasy Baseball you have to play in a shallow league.
Or to put it another way ..

there are what 30 baseball teams?
and you guys only play with 10. So basically you are only playing with the top 1/3 of the talent pool. The top third!

this greatly increases the "Quality" in the FA pool during a season.

12 to 15 should be the minimum for a mixed league.

That would definitely make you manage your team more but I am in a 10-team league and no one has a stacked team. Hell, if I was still in it, I would be looking at the Justin Duchscherer's of the world and crossing my fingers. I can only imagine how it would be if we had 10+ more teams in this league. 8-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:57 pm

i like daily transactions, especially in a head to head league. sometimes you need to adjust your lineup mid week based on what the competition is doing. also, i get bored at work and pick up some new guys all the time. i had a pretty terrible draft and had to make a lot of transactions at the beginning of the season. i have 128 transactions so far and most of the active members of the league are around 80.

like everyone says, find some agreeable way to limit streaming/churning of pitchers. if it is a league with friends you can come up with league rules. if it is a league with random people, some combination of innings pitched restrictions and/or roster transactions limits is appropriate. my head to head league also has losses as a category to discourage streaming. yahoo allows you to have categories like strikeouts per nine innings instead of just total strikeouts. categories like that put a premium on quality innings instead of quantity of innings.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues!

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:26 pm

Thanks guys for all of your input. Can someone explain the innings pitched limit in a little more detail....how does it work in H2H?
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Re: I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues!

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:32 pm

B.O.S. Owner wrote:Thanks guys for all of your input. Can someone explain the innings pitched limit in a little more detail....how does it work in H2H?

Sure. Next year invoke a maximum number of innings per week. Pick a number that's about average. Depends on how many starters most teams carry, but a maximum should be pretty easy to establish. Once a team reaches the max, they no longer accrue pitching points. It's as if all their pitchers are benched.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:07 am

I'd recommend ditching h2h leagues altogether in favor of roto. Of course in h2h it's very possible to assemble the best team possible, dominate the league during most of the season and then get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs. h2h has too much luck involved; with roto the law of averages will work out and the best team should win.

I also don't think there's anything wrong with weekly transactions, but it depends on the people in your league. If you have a bunch of owners who are really into it and don't mind checking their teams everyday, daily transactions can add to the fun. However, if there are people in your league that are extremely busy and don't have the time to devote to setting lineups on a daily basis, weekly transactions could be the way to go. If there are some people without home Internet access or that don't have the time to check every day, they will wind up being at a disadvantage, and probably start to fall behind. If transactions are weekly, and they only have to take 30 mins to check matchups and set up their roster each week, everyone might stay interested longer.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:17 am

jdh wrote:I'd recommend ditching h2h leagues altogether in favor of roto.

I completely, totally, no question, 100%, agree. ;-D Go with Roto! ;-D

If you still want to play H2H, then go with the ideas that we've given you.

Switch to roto.

You really want to switch to roto.

Did I say "try a roto league?" :-b Lol. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers