I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues!

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:09 pm

l was just eliminated from my H2H weekly scoring league in the semi final round. I have several observations that I would like some feedback on for next year:

1. For the second consecutive year I watched as a starter (Foulke) was injured early in the week and I was unable to sub for him. How do you like daily leagues and what are the pitfalls of daily leagues.

2. Is there any way to balance pitching in a H2H league. The probable winner made a habit of running two-start pitchers every week.

3. Should roster moves be limited? I made a total of 55 moves this year. The guy that eliminated me and was seeded higher in the playoffs made 180.

It is frustrating to feel like you have assebled the best team all year long only to lose at the numbers game. Maybe I am missing the point of fantasy baseball.

10 - TEAM H2H, Non-Keeper, Sportsline scoring:

C Javy
1B Bagwell
2B Soriano
SS Garciaparra
3B Lowell
DH P. Wilson
OF Bonds
OF G. Anderson
OF Chipper

P Padilla
P K. Brown
P Pineiro
P Rivera
P Beckett
P Foulke
P Willis

Bench:
P Colon
OF Payton
P W. Miller
1B Klesko
P Sasaki
P Brett Myers
3B Texiera
"Winning isn't everything....IT IS THE ONLY THING!"
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I got the Fantasy Baseball Blues!

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:15 pm

B.O.S. Owner wrote:l was just eliminated from my H2H weekly scoring league in the semi final round. I have several observations that I would like some feedback on for next year:

1. For the second consecutive year I watched as a starter (Foulke) was injured early in the week and I was unable to sub for him. How do you like daily leagues and what are the pitfalls of daily leagues.

2. Is there any way to balance pitching in a H2H league. The probable winner made a habit of running two-start pitchers every week.

3. Should roster moves be limited? I made a total of 55 moves this year. The guy that eliminated me and was seeded higher in the playoffs made 180.

It is frustrating to feel like you have assebled the best team all year long only to lose at the numbers game. Maybe I am missing the point of fantasy baseball.

#1--Daily transactions are the way to go. I've played both for many years, and I prefer daily transactions.

#2 and #3--In a H2H league, there should be transaction limits. 40 usually does the trick That significantly cuts down on the "pitch as many innings as you can to win by quantity not quality" strategy.

As to the final paragraph, I won't play a league that doesn't have a reasonable limit on roster transactions. I've been there and done that. It's not enjoyable to lose because someone continually adds and drops pitchers to get as many starts as possible. I suggest finding a league where there is a set limit of roster moves for the season.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eftda » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:19 am

"just wait till next year, wait till we win it all" ;-D
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:58 am

Madison wrote:#2 and #3--In a H2H league, there should be transaction limits. 40 usually does the trick That significantly cuts down on the "pitch as many innings as you can to win by quantity not quality" strategy.

As to the final paragraph, I won't play a league that doesn't have a reasonable limit on roster transactions. I've been there and done that. It's not enjoyable to lose because someone continually adds and drops pitchers to get as many starts as possible. I suggest finding a league where there is a set limit of roster moves for the season.

Mad.......In my HTH league, I never picked up pitchers just to get wins and I ended up with 52 moves. Isn't 40 a bit low?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:59 am

eftda wrote:"just wait till next year, wait till we win it all" ;-D

What about this year? Are you giving up already?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:01 am

I really think that if you want to enjoy Fantasy Baseball you have to play in a shallow league.
Or to put it another way ..

there are what 30 baseball teams?
and you guys only play with 10. So basically you are only playing with the top 1/3 of the talent pool. The top third!

this greatly increases the "Quality" in the FA pool during a season.

12 to 15 should be the minimum for a mixed league.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby Arlo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:54 am

Lofunzo wrote:Mad.......In my HTH league, I never picked up pitchers just to get wins and I ended up with 52 moves. Isn't 40 a bit low?

Another way to go is to use ip limits. That way, you can make as many moves as you like, but you still can't rack up 20 starts a week (unless you want to run out of innings by June...). A maximum of 1450 with a lower limit of half that tends to work pretty well.

Just another option, of course - which one you choose is just a matter of taste.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Super GM » Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:53 am

My team is down 3-7 right now in the race for 3rd place. I would be playing in the finals if it weren't for Braden Looper!

C Mike Lieberthal (C-Phi)
1B Todd Helton (1B-Col)
2B Marcus Giles (2B-Atl)
3B Bill Mueller (3B-Bos)
SS Mark Loretta (2B,3B,SS-SD)
OF Chipper Jones (LF-Atl)
OF Brian Giles (CF-Atl)
OF Gary Sheffield (RF-Atl)
Util Jeff Bagwell (1B-Hou)

SP Pedro Martinez (SP-Bos)
SP Mike Hampton (SP-Atl)
RP John Smoltz (RP-Atl)
RP Braden Looper (RP-Fla)
P Brett Myers (SP-Phi)
P Brad Radke (SP-Min) (picked him up as a spot-start for Mulder)
P Esteban Loaiza (SP-CWS)
Bench Brandon Webb (SP,RP-Ari)
Bench Josh Beckett (SP-Fla)
Bench Rich Harden (SP-Oak)
Bench Danny Kolb (RP-Mil)
Bench Hideo Nomo (SP-LA)

I'm loaded in pitching, I know....But my offense could easily beat this guy if he didn't have frickin' Soriano! Soriano is killing my team by himself with his seven or so homers this past week! :-t
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:04 am

B.O.S. Owner wrote:1. For the second consecutive year I watched as a starter (Foulke) was injured early in the week and I was unable to sub for him. How do you like daily leagues and what are the pitfalls of daily leagues.

#1...I like daily transactions as well....although I do play both...

#2 and #3 can be taken care of with either Inning limits or Transaction limits...I prefer inning limits myself...but both work well

I agree with Lofunzo...40 roster moves is a little low...50 has seemed to work better for my leagues....

In anycase...these are things that your league(s) should settle before the season next year... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:50 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Madison wrote:#2 and #3--In a H2H league, there should be transaction limits. 40 usually does the trick That significantly cuts down on the "pitch as many innings as you can to win by quantity not quality" strategy.

Mad.......In my HTH league, I never picked up pitchers just to get wins and I ended up with 52 moves. Isn't 40 a bit low?

You could set it at whatever number is comfortable ;-) . I played 5 leagues this year and the most adds/drops I have in any of them is 38. I've got 2 first place finishes locked up already, a 2nd place finish basically finished, a 2rd place finish (keeper league-Webb/Willis helped considerably), and 1 league that is so close that the last few days will decide if I finish 1st or 2nd.

Max innings pitched is another way to go as well. If roster moves just doesn't work for your league, then go with max innings.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers