2007 First Round - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2007 First Round

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:41 pm

bleach168 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Maybe I'm just asking for trouble, but I think Santana is borderline top 5. He's just THAT much better than his peers.

I'd take him in the 4-5 area of a draft. Right after Pujols, Arod, Soriano and maybe Howard.

I've been calling Santana top 3 for a couple years now. I didn't receive too much gruff for it either. Next year Santana is #2 for me.

I'm aboard the "Santana Love-boat" myself. If he's still around by the 5th pick I'll grab him for sure.

Not sure if I'd take him before A-Rod or Ortiz though. That'd be tough.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Geek » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:53 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Maybe I'm just asking for trouble, but I think Santana is borderline top 5. He's just THAT much better than his peers.

I'd take him in the 4-5 area of a draft. Right after Pujols, Arod, Soriano and maybe Howard.

I've been calling Santana top 3 for a couple years now. I didn't receive too much gruff for it either. Next year Santana is #2 for me.

I'm aboard the "Santana Love-boat" myself. If he's still around by the 5th pick I'll grab him for sure.

I can see the argument for Ortiz, because he's a guarantee for 40+ HR's and 135+ rbi. But Santana is a much safer pick than A-Rod at this point.

Santana's overall value/rank for the past three years:

2004: #4 overall, #1 SP
2005: #9 overall, #2 SP (right behind Carpenter, who was #8 overall)
2006: #2 overall, #1 SP

How can you not take him top 5?
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:03 pm

bleach168 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:

I don't think I would take Santana over Arod and Pujols but I agree he should definitely be up there. The consistency and dominance in his position warrants a top 3 pick.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CraigMasbruch » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:06 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:

Not that I disagree with you (although I wouldn't take him tope 3), but the argument against grabbing a starter that early is that it's much easier to grab decent pitching off the waiver wire than to find good hitting. Many people employ a "pitch & ditch" strategy, keying in on positive matchups. The other thing is (and this doesn't apply to Santana, which makes him that much more valuable) that pitchers are more likely to be injured, and more likely to go from good to bad in a hurry. That said, Santana seems to be invincible, and while I might not do it, I can easily see him going in the early first round.
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby CadensDad » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:22 pm

1.)Pujols
2.)Santana
3.)Beltran
4.)Soriano
5.)ARod
6.)McCab
7.)VLAD
8.)Crawford
9.)Ortiz
10.)Tejada
11.)Utley
12)Hafner
13.)Howard
14.)Reyes
15.)Wright
16.)Bay

1-2 are locks I dont care if I have the 2nd pick of the draft. If Pujols is off the board, Santana is next for me. The man is awesome player and finished top 5 fantasy player for like 3 years now

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby brewcrew4you » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:24 pm

It is precisely the lack of other first-round pitchers that gives Santana such value. I'll gladly draft him in the first every chance I get, as he gives such a headstart in 4 of the pitching catagories. Santana in your rotation is like having a Pujols that hits .360, 60, 140 and 140.
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby duckbillgates » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:44 pm

It would be really hard to pull the trigger on drafting Johan #2, but I have him in a keeper and wouldn't trade him for anyone but Pujols.

It isn't just that he is THAT much better than any other pitcher (he is). It's that he hasn't had even a hint of injury issues in his career. He throws heat without straining, and he relies on the best changeup in baseball. Stay away from curve ball pitchers.

Also, Utley isn't going to make it out of many first rounds. He almost justifies the pick if you aren't worried about "position scarcity." And there is always someone in a draft worried about position scarcity.

Oh, and my top three keepers (Johan, M-Cab, Utley) are going to make everyone drool next year.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cubbies1 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:20 pm

CadensDad wrote:1.)Pujols
2.)Santana
3.)Beltran
4.)Soriano
5.)ARod
6.)McCab
7.)VLAD
8.)Crawford
9.)Ortiz
10.)Tejada
11.)Utley
12)Hafner
13.)Howard
14.)Reyes
15.)Wright
16.)Bay

interesting list. tejada is way to high. reyes, howard are way to low...imo
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
cubbies1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bellings » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Has anyone else noticed that pretty much any decent player with multiple eligibility at 2B is going to lose it, with the exception being Figgins? With how many people are losing 2B, I don't see how Utley isn't a 1st rounder.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RJ24VC15 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:06 pm

A-Rod at #5 would be a steal. With everyone in the linup healthy next year, he will put up MVP numbers.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers