Scientists Teleport Two Objects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Scientists Teleport Two Objects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Scientists Teleport Two Objects

Postby JTWood » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:20 pm

It's different than what you might be expecting, but it's cool nonetheless.

CNN.com wrote: Scientists teleport two different objects
POSTED: 4:36 p.m. EDT, October 4, 2006

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Beaming people in Star Trek fashion is still in the realms of science fiction but physicists in Denmark have teleported information from light to matter bringing quantum communication and computing closer to reality.

Until now scientists have teleported similar objects such as light or single atoms over short distances from one spot to another in a split second.

But Professor Eugene Polzik and his team at the Niels Bohr Institute at Copenhagen University in Denmark have made a breakthrough by using both light and matter.

"It is one step further because for the first time it involves teleportation between light and matter, two different objects. One is the carrier of information and the other one is the storage medium," Polzik explained in an interview on Wednesday.

The experiment involved for the first time a macroscopic atomic object containing thousands of billions of atoms. They also teleported the information a distance of half a meter but believe it can be extended further.

"Teleportation between two single atoms had been done two years ago by two teams but this was done at a distance of a fraction of a millimeter," Polzik, of the Danish National Research Foundation Center for Quantum Optics, explained.

"Our method allows teleportation to be taken over longer distances because it involves light as the carrier of entanglement," he added.

Quantum entanglement involves entwining two or more particles without physical contact.

Although teleportation is associated with the science-fiction series Star Trek, no one is likely to be beamed anywhere soon.

But the achievement of Polzik's team, in collaboration with the theorist Ignacio Cirac of the Max Planck Institute for Quantum Optics in Garching, Germany, marks an advancement in the field of quantum information and computers, which could transmit and process information in a way that was impossible before.

"It is really about teleporting information from one site to another site. Quantum information is different from classical information in the sense that it cannot be measured. It has much higher information capacity and it cannot be eavesdropped on. The transmission of quantum information can be made unconditionally secure," said Polzik whose research is reported in the journal Nature.

Quantum computing requires manipulation of information contained in the quantum states, which include physical properties such as energy, motion and magnetic field, of the atoms.

"Creating entanglement is a very important step but there are two more steps at least to perform teleportation. We have succeeded in making all three steps -- that is entanglement, quantum measurement and quantum feedback," he added.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:37 pm

8-o

That's definitely cool.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:40 pm

Nice. I'm still going to have to develop some anime-like teleportation powers though.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:26 pm

God, don't these people watch The Simpsons?

Frink: I will now teleport Sir Isaac Newton into the modern day...
[Starts his teleportation device.]
Machine: Warning. Power failure. [The power goes off]
Frink: Sweet glayven! [Isaac Newton's lower half steps out of the machine] Oh my, hey..! [Isaac Newton's legs runs over and starts kicking Frink] Ow, ow, oh, Sir Isaac's legs are hurting!
brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:27 pm

pffftt.....big deal

i can teleport billions of atoms of invisible stink from my arse across the trading floor in a pure instant, and no one's the wiser!!! :-b
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:31 pm

Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. Interesting read! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:08 pm

All the technology in Star Trek will sooner or later be developed for real. We already have laser beams and cell phones. Nextel phones are so "Kirk to Enterprise" like.
Next we'll be dealing with hot alien chicks. :-); maybe with like 4 boobs or something.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:09 pm

Definitely a cool read ;-D
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brewcrew4you » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:43 pm

Fireball Express wrote:All the technology in Star Trek will sooner or later be developed for real. We already have laser beams and cell phones. Nextel phones are so "Kirk to Enterprise" like.
Next we'll be dealing with hot alien chicks. :-); maybe with like 4 boobs or something.

well, we achieved 3 boobs in 1990.

Total Recall, anyone? I found the picture online, but I definitely can't post it here. It looks something like this...

brewcrew4you
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:55 pm

brewcrew4you wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:All the technology in Star Trek will sooner or later be developed for real. We already have laser beams and cell phones. Nextel phones are so "Kirk to Enterprise" like.

well, we achieved 3 boobs in 1990.

Total Recall, anyone? I found the picture online, but I definitely can't post it here. It looks something like this...

I guess 3 boobs is actually perfect; one for the mouth and two for the hands. A 4th boob could be deemed useless and in the way., lol.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk