How do we fix the Oreos? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baltimore Orioles

How do we fix the Oreos?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do we fix the Oreos?

Postby OREO fan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:45 pm

Well, I am just looking for a little conversation on what to do about the Oreos.

I am cautiously optimistic about a rotation for the next few years of Bedard, Loewen, Penn, and Cabrera. Ray and Chris Britton seem to be the lone bright spots in the bullpen, but Eddy Rodriguez had good AAA numbers which could translate soon. Garrett Olson had a strong year jumping to AA with good results, while Jim Johnson wasn't quite as impressive with his jump although he still is only 23. Jim Hoey jumped 2 levels before a late season call-up and posted some big K numbers as a reliever. Brandon Erbe seems like the real deal in A ball at only 19.

Anybody have any insight about the O's prospects?
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikekim2121 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:48 am

I like the potential of our pitching prospects but I'd like to see some more big time bats in our system. I didn't think markakis would be as good as he's been doing this year so I'm happy about that. But I don't see much help coming from the minor league hitters.

Atleast we have some decent pitchers coming out of our system.

Is completely revamping our front office a reasonable solution?
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby OREO fan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:45 pm

mikekim2121 wrote:I like the potential of our pitching prospects but I'd like to see some more big time bats in our system. I didn't think markakis would be as good as he's been doing this year so I'm happy about that. But I don't see much help coming from the minor league hitters.

Atleast we have some decent pitchers coming out of our system.

Is completely revamping our front office a reasonable solution?

I completely agree about the lack of hitting prospects. The high minors don't look to be offering that much help in the near future. Luis Terrero had a great year at AAA. He has developed a decent power/speed combo, but he will be 27 already next year, doesn't walk enough, and has yet to show anything in the majors. Hopefully he can challenge for a roster spot next year. Jeff Fiorentino had a good year in his first at AA, and while the power was a little lacking, he showed great plate discipline with nearly a 1:1 K:walk ratio. Knowing the O's, they could just throw him into the fire at age 24 if he has a good spring training. Nolan Reimold had another productive year in his first full year at high A. He seems like he K's a decent amount, but also walks a lot. He seems to have good power and speed. Our top draft pick this year Billy Rowell tore it up between rookie ball and low A, so far so good.

To sum up, the lack of quality hitting prospects worries me. We might want to speed up the rebuilding process by trading away one of our valuable, non-young-starting-pitcher commodities. I might be inclined to explore some options on trading Tejada to try to beef up the high minors with some bats.

As far as the front office goes, how long have Flanagan and Duquette been in command? With the maturation of Markakis, Ray, and to some extent, Loewen, I feel like the player development seems to be somewhat successful recently. Hopefully, we can add Penn to that list next season. I thought getting Patterson was a steal, but trading John Maine for Kris Benson was inexcusable.
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OREO fan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:35 pm

I neglected to mention Val Majewski who struggled in his first season at AAA. He missed all of 2005 with a shoulder injury, so I am somewhat concerned what that did to his development. Hopefully he can show some progress next year and earn a midseason call-up.
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikekim2121 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:07 am

Ive never been a big fan of trading Tejada but at this point, I would not mind it one bit if we could get atleast 2 big time prospects in return.

I'm glad he's more willing to stick it out through the tough times, unlike last year when he was really frustrated at our laack of success. Its definitely understandable but its not like our management doesn't spend any money. They just don't seem to spend it wisely.

Realistically, I really don't know how we are going to be able to make a serious impact with two mega markets like NY and Boston in our division, not to mention the Blue Jays being very active lately. We have some solid players like Tejada, Roberts, Hernandez, Markakis, Gibbons, and Mora. But even with that core we're not even close to competing.

That is kinda the reason why I'd like to just see us roll the dice with a lot of prospects and hope most of them pan out. But that probably works more often in video games than in real life.

Duquette was brought in after the 2005 season, which is also when Flanagan became the GM. But it still feels like we have too many people that are ultimately making the final decision. With those 2 and Angelos wanting to be very involved, it causes a lot of conflicts when making decisions.

I also like the Patterson trade a lot and he's still young enough to develop into a solid player. He's never not going to be a K machine but he had a great year power/speed wise. Plus, it always helps to have a solid glove at CF.
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby OREO fan » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:26 pm

mikekim2121 wrote:Ive never been a big fan of trading Tejada but at this point, I would not mind it one bit if we could get atleast 2 big time prospects in return.

I completely agree and would support a trade for a couple of prospect bats (preferably close to major-league ready) for Tejada. I am not sure what trading partners there are out there, but the Angels always immediately spring to my mind. I remember the Cubs and Red Sox having interest last offseason.

mikekim2121 wrote: Realistically, I really don't know how we are going to be able to make a serious impact with two mega markets like NY and Boston in our division, not to mention the Blue Jays being very active lately. We have some solid players like Tejada, Roberts, Hernandez, Markakis, Gibbons, and Mora. But even with that core we're not even close to competing.

Well, the Yanks will always be a playoff contender with their payroll, but I think the other AL East teams should go through the same ups and downs as we do. The O's have spent money before with Angelos, and I do not think that is out of the question if we were close to competing.

Why did we resign Mora to a 3 year deal? He is on the downside of his career, and just finished up a very average year, and we pay up big to extend his contract? Maybe he will bounce back somewhat next year, but I think that is a very poor decision.

I just think we have to be careful not to get locked into too many big contracts during this rebuilding. Trade Tejada for some prospects. Keep the nucleus of Roberts, Markakis, Hernandez, Gibbons, and Patterson, and hope our pitching develops over the next few years. If the starting staff pans out like we hope, then you can make a play for an extra slugger in the lineup with the money that you didn't waste on bad contracts (like Mora's).
OREO fan
College Coach
College Coach

Re: How do we fix the Oreos?

Postby mikekim2121 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:35 am

I'm glad to say our outlook has changed quite significantly since we last discussed this topic. Although our MLB team still sucks, atleast we have some direction now. I don't know about you guys but I am very excited about our future.

As excited as I am, I'd still be surprised if we finished in 4th.

Hopefully we can make Teixeira pay. :-D
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baltimore Orioles