Halladay ejected - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Halladay ejected

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Halladay ejected

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:17 pm

Home plate umpire has tossed out Halladay for no apparent reason after hitting Baldelli.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slugger2K4 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:23 pm

Darn! I really needed him to get some more IP.
[color=darkblue][b]Alex Rodriguez Home Run Count: [u]345[/u][/b][/color]
[color=red][b]Albert Pujols Home Run Count: [u]114[/u][/b][/color]
Slugger2K4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:25 pm

5 innings
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:29 pm

Maybe because Baldelli was Halladay's 2nd hit batter? He had already hit Rolls and that might have drawn a warning to each bench.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:31 pm

No, I was watching the game and there was no warning issued. And neither hit batter was intentional.

This home plate umpire is an embicile. He just threw out Toby Hall too. He needs to be ganked on his way out of the ballpark.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:43 pm

jdh wrote:No, I was watching the game and there was no warning issued. And neither hit batter was intentional.

I'm not watching it, so it was just a guess. Should make good highlights on Sportscenter.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:04 pm

Ejected- that certainly explains it for me. When I went to check on his progress in the game, I was amazed and confused that he had only pitched 5 innings on 70 pitches.

This will hurt him in the race for the Cy Young :-C But if Loaiza doesnt't pitch well next time out, I think Halladay will still win. ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:34 am

Look what I found :-B ! Warnings were given before the game started but Tosca didn't tell Halladay about it. Here's the article:

Halladay ejected after hitting Baldelli with a pitch

September 22, 2003
TORONTO (AP) -- Blue Jays ace Roy Halladay was ejected in the sixth inning of Monday night's game against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for hitting Rocco Baldelli with a pitch.

After allowing a home run to Julio Lugo and a single to Aubrey Huff, Halladay hit Baldelli hit in the back with his first pitch. Plate umpire Phil Cuzzi ejected Halladay, who put up his arms in disbelief.

Halladay, who took the loss in Tampa Bay's 5-2 victory, had to calm down before talking to reporters.

ADVERTISEMENT

``I don't know what he had in mind or what he thought,'' Halladay said of Cuzzi. ``I think he only knows that. It's tough because you want to stay in, but there is really nothing you can do at that point.''

Cuzzi declined to comment after the game.

Before the game, warnings were issued to both clubs about hitting batters. Toronto manager Carlos Tosca said he didn't tell Halladay about the warning.

Halladay's ejection wasn't the first trouble between the teams.

Tosca wrote a quote from Devil Rays outfielder Carl Crawford on a clubhouse message board before a game on Sept. 10. After Tampa Bay's win on Sept. 9, Crawford said it seemed that when the Blue Jays get behind ``they kind of let down a little bit.''

Last weekend the Blue Jays ran an advertisement that showed Halladay, Carlos Delgado and Vernon Wells under the words ``A chance for Carl Crawford and the Devil Rays to see real All-Stars up close.''

In the fourth inning, the Blue Jays posted Crawford's quote on the JumboTron.

``If that's what they want to do to get their team fired up, let them do that. I don't see a reason for it,'' Crawford said.

Halladay (21-7) and Tosca argued with Cuzzi for several minutes as fans booed. The right-hander also hit Damian Rolls with a pitch in the fourth.

Halladay, a leading contender for the Cy Young Award, entered with a 3.18 ERA. He left trailing 1-0.

Tosca said he didn't think the ejection and loss would hurt Halladay's Cy Young chances.

``I hope not,'' Tosca said.

Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said he complained to Sandy Alderson, the executive vice president of baseball operations in the commissioner's office.

``I talked to Sandy Alderson and obviously he's got to see what their version is. It's unfortunate. Doc is out there trying to win a Cy Young and he gets charged with three earned runs,'' Ricciardi said.

Halladay allowed three runs on five hits in five-plus innings. He struck out eight and walked none.

Tampa Bay manager Lou Piniella wasn't upset when Halladay was ejected.

``There's no question that Halladay is extremely tough. He's as good a pitcher as there is in this league,'' Piniella said.

Dan Reichert, who relieved Halladay, walked Travis Lee before Rolls hit a two-run single. Marlon Anderson followed with an RBI single, giving Tampa Bay a 4-0 lead.

Cuzzi also ejected Tampa Bay's Toby Hall for arguing in the sixth.

Hall swung and missed at a pitch that wound up hitting him. After he later struck out, Cuzzi tossed Hall for arguing.

Updated on Monday, Sep 22, 2003 11:52 pm EDT

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:50 am

And I'm sure that the BS with the Yankees (against the D Rays) didn't help matters, either.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:28 am

Tampa Bay manager Lou Piniella wasn't upset when Halladay was ejected.

Do you blame him for not being upset... :-B

With the way Loiaza has pitched lately, I don't see this hurting Halladay's chances for the Cy Young....
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers