Parents kidnap adult daughter to prevent marriage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Parents kidnap adult daughter to prevent marriage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Parents kidnap adult daughter to prevent marriage

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:53 pm

Link

AP wrote:SALT LAKE CITY -- A pre-wedding shopping trip for a 21-year-old bride ended with felony charges against her parents, who she says kidnapped her and drove her 240 miles to Colorado, trying to talk her out of the nuptials along the way and holding her until she missed the ceremony.

"I've never had a case quite like this," Utah County Attorney Kay Bryson said Tuesday after charging Lemuel and Julia Redd with second-degree felony kidnapping.

Bryson said he met with the couple's daughter, Julianna, and her now-husband, Perry Myers, before charging the parents. "It is strange that parents would go to that extent to keep an adult daughter from marrying the man that she had chosen to marry," he said.

The Redds told their daughter they were taking her on a shopping trip Aug. 4 and then drove from Provo to Grand Junction, Colo., according to Provo police Capt. Rick Healey. Myers, 23, called police when his bride didn't attend a pre-wedding dinner with his parents that night.

The Redds spent the night in Colorado and drove back to Provo, about 40 miles south of Salt Lake City, the next day, Healey said. They arrived after the young couple was supposed to have been married in a ceremony that day at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temple in Salt Lake City.

"I was totally confused and manipulated," Julianna Myers told KTVX-TV in Salt Lake City. She said she supports the charges and hopes her parents get help.

"They had their concerns, their reasoning," she said. "Honestly I don't understand. It had nothing to do with Perry."

Bryson said after reviewing the police investigation it was clear a crime was committed.

The couple, both students at Brigham Young University, were married in the temple on Aug. 8, Myers said. They are expecting their first child in May.

"We were just glad the way it ended and she just came back and she was OK," Myers said. "We've gone forward since then.

Lemuel Redd, 59, and Julia Redd, 56, were charged Friday and are scheduled to make an initial court appearance Oct. 26. If convicted, they could face one to 15 years in prison.

A call to a listing for Lemuel H. Redd at the address in Monticello, Utah, listed in court documents went unanswered Tuesday. No attorney for the Redds is listed in court documents.

What a bizarre story. 8-o
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:58 pm

:-b

I'd love to hear what her parents give as their reasoning for this. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:10 pm

This whole thing strikes me as really odd.
Who even has time to go shopping the day before the wedding?
Once they got to Colorado why didn't the bride pick up a phone?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:25 pm

I wish my parents had kidnapped me before my first wedding.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Re: Parents kidnap adult daughter to prevent marriage

Postby dream_017 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:35 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:What a bizarre story. 8-o

Here is your answer:

AP wrote:SALT LAKE CITY

dream_017
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

CafeholicFootball ModLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:42 pm

Very odd...hopefully her parents weren't trying to save her from some abusive jerk and now they are jailed.

Utah is strange
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:24 pm

mak1277 wrote:I wish my parents had kidnapped me before my first wedding.

Agreed. That would have saved me a ton of time and money. :-P

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:32 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:What a bizarre story. 8-o

Here is your answer:

AP wrote:SALT LAKE CITY

No, the answer is PROVO... way more morman than Salt Lake even and home to Brigham Young university. It's good to see people are living in the 21st century :-?

The other answer is that they're expecting their first child in May... which would put the conception a few months before the wedding (which was likely scheduled after it was revealed she was pregnant). Think that might have something to do with it? I don't know how against Mormans are to premarital sex, but that might have something to do with it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Coppermine wrote:The other answer is that they're expecting their first child in May... which would put the conception a few months before the wedding (which was likely scheduled after it was revealed she was pregnant). Think that might have something to do with it? I don't know how against Mormans are to premarital sex, but that might have something to do with it.
Mormans are very much against premarital sex. I wouldn't shock me entirely to see both kicked out of school for violating the honor code.
http://honorcode.byu.edu/The_Honor_Code.htm
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:41 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Coppermine wrote:The other answer is that they're expecting their first child in May... which would put the conception a few months before the wedding (which was likely scheduled after it was revealed she was pregnant). Think that might have something to do with it? I don't know how against Mormans are to premarital sex, but that might have something to do with it.
Mormans are very much against premarital sex. I wouldn't shock me entirely to see both kicked out of school for violating the honor code.
http://honorcode.byu.edu/The_Honor_Code.htm

Yes, of course... fulfilling our inherent, human, biological reproductive needs are so dishonorable... :-[
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk