100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Popular Guy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Popular Guy

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:20 am

Austrian's body found in bed 5 years after death

1 hour, 51 minutes ago

VIENNA (Reuters) - Austrian authorities have discovered the body of a man who apparently died at home in bed five years ago, a Vienna newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The corpse of Franz Riedl, thought to have been in his late 80s when he died, went undetected for so long because his rent had been paid by automatic order from the bank account into which he received his pension, the daily Kurier said.

Neighbours said there was no strange smell coming from Riedl's apartment and authorities who found the body after a court order was given to enter said his body appeared to have "mummified" and was well preserved.

"He had been frail and a woman had helped him," the husband of the apartment block's caretaker told Kurier, adding that mail had always piled up outside the pensioner's flat. "We thought he had moved in with her or gone to an old people's home."

Police said they were not certain as to exactly when the man had died, but that they had found only schilling notes in the apartment -- the currency used by Austria before the introduction of the euro on January 1, 2002.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Poor guy. :,-(
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 pm

That is very sad. :,-(

But what happened to the woman that was helping to take care of him???
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:21 pm

thats a little odd.. just a little

sucks to be that guy.. 5 years.. man
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55 pm

2 things I don't get about the story.

First of all, if there's mail piling up, wouldn't someone notice that and, knowing how old the guy was, put 2 and 2 together and reach at least a theory?

Secondly, they assumed he had either been taken to an old folk's home or was living somewhere else. Either way, he wasn't living there anymore, yet they were still collecting rent...for 5 years.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:14 pm

Man, I'd be happy to go like that; in my bed, undisturbed... I don't need some kind of fancy schmancy burial, and have you seen the markup on caskets? It's like 5000%!

Well, that alone has convinced me cremation is the way I want to go... but I don't want to sit morbidly on someone mantlepiece, just waiting to get knocked over by some Ben Stiller-like assclown.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:20 pm

What a crazy story. 8-o

Rump wrote:But what happened to the woman that was helping to take care of him???

That was my question too... :-?
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:48 pm

Coppermine wrote:Man, I'd be happy to go like that; in my bed, undisturbed... I don't need some kind of fancy schmancy burial, and have you seen the markup on caskets? It's like 5000%!

Well, that alone has convinced me cremation is the way I want to go... but I don't want to sit morbidly on someone mantlepiece, just waiting to get knocked over by some Ben Stiller-like assclown.

I want a viking funeral where they shoot flamming arrows at me in a boat.

I've told my whole family... They better heed my wishes!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:13 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Man, I'd be happy to go like that; in my bed, undisturbed... I don't need some kind of fancy schmancy burial, and have you seen the markup on caskets? It's like 5000%!

That sounds like a plan. You have to die with sword in hand too, don't forget about that. ;-D

Back to topic, poor guy. :-/

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:42 pm

acsguitar wrote:

I'd like to be buried Indian-style, where they put you up on a high rack, above the ground. That way, you could get hit by meteorites and not even feel it.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk