Need advice--what do you think? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need advice--what do you think?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need advice--what do you think?

Postby x27man » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:19 pm

The league I am in is NOT a keeper league. It is Roto/points. AL only.

Last year, Owner B traded with his close buddy, Owner A, in what I thought, a questionable trade. (Owner A got Baez from Owner B for Richard Harden at the trade deadline. Owner A won the title--he got extra saves because of it. Harden at that time had a torn oblique. I complained about it. It fell on deaf ears. At the winter meetings this year it was brought up. Owner B played stupid about it. (a very odd behavior, I thought).

This year, 2 weeks before the trade deadline, owner A gives Garko to Owner B for sore arm Liriano. Then on September 3, the trade deadline for our league, Owner A trades Carlos Lee to for Owner B for sore arm Mariano Rivera. (Then Owner A cut Rivera 1 week later!) Those 2 trades beat me up bad, I was on my way to a title. I lost to Owner B by 1 point for the title. Owner A was in last place most of the year (that's how he got Lee & Garko).

I think its bad when I'm the only one that sees an owner trading 2 unhealthy players for 2 clean-up hitters, who hit in hitters parks.

2 sore arms? And nobody sees this but me? It's clearly a pay back from last year, or owner A is the stupidest owner ever. By the way, Owner A won the league in 2004 & 2005.

Also, it getting more difficult for me to converse and make trades, particularly owners who know and work with owner A, don't e-mail me back, and I even suspect some blocking is going on when I talked to another owner, I suspected owner A was talking him out of my offers, yet that same owner makes trades with everybody else with no problem. Seems fishy to me.

There is no formal trade approval in our league, something I have been suggesting, and that has fell on deaf ears.

Please give me your comments. Tell me what you think.
Last edited by x27man on Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
x27man
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mak1277 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:06 pm

I can't comment on the motivation for these trades, but "strange" things happen in keeper leagues (and especially in AL/NL only leagues). To wit, I traded Brandon Phillips and Anibal Sanchez for Soriano this year and not a single person in my league complained because of the timing of the trade and the overall situation (i.e. Soriano was likely to be traded out of the NL).

If I'm in last place, I'd definitely make a deal like the Liriano/Garko trade if I can pick up a keeper like Liriano for the coming year.

Your suspicions may prove correct, but don't just scream "Collusion" without really knowing the motives.

Edit - there is no excuse, however, for not having SOME kind of trade veto provision, whether that's league vote, or commissioner veto power. You have to have some vehicle to prevent cheating.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:10 pm

If the team taking on the hurt players is out of contention, and playing for next season, I have no qualms with trades like that. What I would have a problem with is Rivera being cut one week after being acquired.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Return to Baseball Leftovers