Gas/Oil Tank - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Gas/Oil Tank

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:56 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:This won't ruin anything, though? It's a big, commercial lawn mower. It won't break the engine, I just need to drain it?




:-o You need to take it to somebody who works on your dads equipment and let them drain the oil tank and clean it out. Yes it will destroy your engine. If you have some auto mechanic ability, you can probably do it yourself, but if you are a bit hesitant, just take it to a pro and let them clean it up for you.


I'm dead. I did it without realizing and tried to start it. It started, then stalled and gas came dripping out the front.

I can't believe I just did that.


Good work mr. goodwrench ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:59 pm

I might appreciate the humor more if it were my lawnmower. It's not. I'm frigging dead.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:04 pm

Ouch. !+)

Hopefully it didn't run long enough to do any damage. But I'm not a mechanic either. Although I used to fix my truck all the time, but that was more of a "if I can take the bad part out I can put the new one back in" type of a thing. I don't know about this... :-o
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13716
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Building a metric. And being ignorable and stupid.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:07 pm

My dad's a mechanic and I just called and told him what I did. I'm praying that nothing major happened. I feel sick right now.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:07 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:This won't ruin anything, though? It's a big, commercial lawn mower. It won't break the engine, I just need to drain it?




:-o You need to take it to somebody who works on your dads equipment and let them drain the oil tank and clean it out. Yes it will destroy your engine. If you have some auto mechanic ability, you can probably do it yourself, but if you are a bit hesitant, just take it to a pro and let them clean it up for you.


I'm dead. I did it without realizing and tried to start it. It started, then stalled and gas came dripping out the front.

I can't believe I just did that.


You didn't say that you started it! 8-o

Take it in, do not try to do anything yourself. I have no idea the damage it caused but just draining it is very unlikely to fix everything. And yeah don't try to turn that beast upside down to drain it. :-b
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:09 pm

slomo007 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:This won't ruin anything, though? It's a big, commercial lawn mower. It won't break the engine, I just need to drain it?




:-o You need to take it to somebody who works on your dads equipment and let them drain the oil tank and clean it out. Yes it will destroy your engine. If you have some auto mechanic ability, you can probably do it yourself, but if you are a bit hesitant, just take it to a pro and let them clean it up for you.


I'm dead. I did it without realizing and tried to start it. It started, then stalled and gas came dripping out the front.

I can't believe I just did that.


You didn't say that you started it! 8-o


Sure didn't :-o . Take it to a professional and see what they say. :-o Best of luck! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:10 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:My dad's a mechanic and I just called and told him what I did. I'm praying that nothing major happened. I feel sick right now.


it's probably be allright

i once got about 3 gallons of Kerosene into my Dad's Diesel van before the attendant finally came running out to tell me. i guess they are pretty similar though, so it wasnt that big a deal
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:My dad's a mechanic and I just called and told him what I did. I'm praying that nothing major happened. I feel sick right now.


it's probably be allright

i once got about 3 gallons of Kerosene into my Dad's Diesel van before the attendant finally came running out to tell me. i guess they are pretty similar though, so it wasnt that big a deal


You didn't start the van though, did you?
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:14 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:My dad's a mechanic and I just called and told him what I did. I'm praying that nothing major happened. I feel sick right now.


it's probably be allright

i once got about 3 gallons of Kerosene into my Dad's Diesel van before the attendant finally came running out to tell me. i guess they are pretty similar though, so it wasnt that big a deal


You didn't start the van though, did you?


after i filled it the rest of the way with Diesel :-t i was freaked out at first, but the mechanic said the two are pretty similar and that it would just give it a little more power

they arent totally similar situations though...but at least it lets you know other people have messed up stuff like that :-B
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:37 pm

How many times did you try to turn the engine over? Once? Twice? Ten times? That’ll really make a difference in the survivability of the engine in this situation.

Another factor – was there already oil in the pan when you put the gasoline in? There was, right? This is a lawnmower that’s used, as in, this isn’t the first time it’s ever been started, right? I’m assuming there was oil there, but you added gasoline to the oil. What that’s going to do is dilute your oil and really break down the viscosity (the “thickness” of the oil, the quality that makes it a lubricant).

So you’ve got metal parts sliding on metal parts with this thin sheen of oil between them lubricating them – that’s the normal operation of your engine. What you’ve done is taken that thin sheen of oil and thinned it down much, much more. You’re not going to be in too much trouble unless you tried to start it over and over and over. If you did that there’s a possibility you’ve damaged your cylinders and then you’re talking some big bucks for repairs.

However, what I would suspect happened was this – you put the gas in, you tried to start it and nothing happened. You tried again and nothing happened, then you tried a third time and saw the gas coming out the grill in front. Am I right? If so, you’re probably OK.

Remember that gasoline and engine oil are both petroleum products. They’re related but dissimilar in function and form. The good news is that they’re not so dissimilar that simply mixing them is going to destroy the engine (although it’s not doing your gaskets any favors, that’s for sure).

I think – and bear in mind that I’m no mechanic here – I *think* you’re going to get away with the equivalent of a flush job on your oil pan. You’ve essentially flushed it with cleaner and tried to turn the engine over a couple of times. It’s not the best thing to do to the engine but you should be OK.

Take it to the mechanic, he’ll flush it out, refill the oil and it’ll start up.

That’s my prediction.


As long as you didn’t blow any gaskets, that is. :-o :-°
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Posts: 7871
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's "ell see." ELL SEE!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 10:06 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact