North Korea pledges to test nuclear bomb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

North Korea pledges to test nuclear bomb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:47 am

Coppermine wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:So before this gets locked, the U.S. is basically powerless to do anything to N. Korea cause they are being propped up by China. Unless we take the hard line against China or China agrees to punish N. Korea we basically have no options.

Sort of, China seems to have the most leverage at least and N. Korea knows it. They want "unilateral" talks with the United States so the pressure will be on us to confront them and make some sort of deal, but we are reasonably refusing such an offer unless N. Korea agrees to sit down with the U.S., S. Korea, Japan, China and perhaps Russia and a few other nations in that area. In any case, the only country whose sanctions can truly affect the N. Koreans is the Chinese, and they don't want to do it because it will completely destabilize their economy (not that it's even stable now).

Most leverage? Try all. As long as China backs them up no one has any leverage. Take the U.S., sanctions won't work cause they get most everything from China anyway. We won't commit to a full out war for fear of China getting involved.

N. Korea asking for "unilateral" talks with the U.S. seems like a power play to me.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:16 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:So before this gets locked, the U.S. is basically powerless to do anything to N. Korea cause they are being propped up by China. Unless we take the hard line against China or China agrees to punish N. Korea we basically have no options.

Sort of, China seems to have the most leverage at least and N. Korea knows it. They want "unilateral" talks with the United States so the pressure will be on us to confront them and make some sort of deal, but we are reasonably refusing such an offer unless N. Korea agrees to sit down with the U.S., S. Korea, Japan, China and perhaps Russia and a few other nations in that area. In any case, the only country whose sanctions can truly affect the N. Koreans is the Chinese, and they don't want to do it because it will completely destabilize their economy (not that it's even stable now).

Most leverage? Try all. As long as China backs them up no one has any leverage. Take the U.S., sanctions won't work cause they get most everything from China anyway. We won't commit to a full out war for fear of China getting involved.

N. Korea asking for "unilateral" talks with the U.S. seems like a power play to me.

And that's exactly what it is; Kim Jong Il knows that if he wants to run with the big dogs, he has to run with the U.S. and pressure on us means pressure on everyone.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:22 pm

I appoligize for my earlier rant. I went to the home opener of the Blues hockey game (great game) with some friends and had a "few" beverages. Ha, definitely appoligize and I definitely didnt/wouldnt mean to insult anybody. Again, my fault. Sorry.
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:33 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:I appoligize for my earlier rant. I went to the home opener of the Blues hockey game (great game) with some friends and had a "few" beverages. Ha, definitely appoligize and I definitely didnt/wouldnt mean to insult anybody. Again, my fault. Sorry.

Hockey does that to people. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:51 pm

Mark Warner (former democratic governor of Virginia) officially dropped out of the presidential race today. It's too bad, he was a moderate that I appreciated; he said the finger-pointing about Bush misleading America into Iraq wasn't helpful and that the party needed to move on. He said tax cuts were not a universal evil and that when Democrats talk about taxing the rich, they offend those people who want to be rich themselves someday. He was not a fan of what he called the party's "class warfare" populism that many Democrats think is the key to winning back the White House.

I liked him, and I think he was the anti-Hillary. Oh well.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Coppermine wrote:Mark Warner (former democratic governor of Virginia) officially dropped out of the presidential race today. It's too bad, he was a moderate that I appreciated; he said the finger-pointing about Bush misleading America into Iraq wasn't helpful and that the party needed to move on. He said tax cuts were not a universal evil and that when Democrats talk about taxing the rich, they offend those people who want to be rich themselves someday. He was not a fan of what he called the party's "class warfare" populism that many Democrats think is the key to winning back the White House.

Ahh, that's bad news. I was a big Warner supporter.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:28 pm

Mugrila wrote:
Coppermine wrote:Mark Warner (former democratic governor of Virginia) officially dropped out of the presidential race today. It's too bad, he was a moderate that I appreciated; he said the finger-pointing about Bush misleading America into Iraq wasn't helpful and that the party needed to move on. He said tax cuts were not a universal evil and that when Democrats talk about taxing the rich, they offend those people who want to be rich themselves someday. He was not a fan of what he called the party's "class warfare" populism that many Democrats think is the key to winning back the White House.

:-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mugrila » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:30 pm

:-{
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Coppermine » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:32 pm

3 run homer wrote:
Mugrila wrote:

:-D

LMAO!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:26 am

Preliminary tests don't show radiation from the site.

You don't think it was actually a conventional bomb, do you???
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk