100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rays might deal Crawford?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:16 am

thedude wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:
thedude wrote:This looks like a sport radio rumor out of Chi-town to me...

If crawford goes on the market, there will be plenty of teams offering more than what chicago can...

This is exactly the reason why this deal makes no sense. After basically being handed Kazmir on a silver platter, their trade expectations over the last year or so have been so far out of whack they have been almost paralyzed, until this trade deadline with the Lugo deal and Gathright deals.

Additionally, I am sure there are dozens of teams out there that would give at least their best two frontline SP prospects for a guarantee of .300/20/50/90 type production at Trot Nixon type money.

Well, one reason for the start of trades again (and I agree that Kaz was the reason for the previous expectations) is a new GM that didn't have the same trade expectations as Lamar.

However, if Crawford is traded (which I doubt), and looking at the TB team, the obvious need is pitching. They have young players at most of the positions. However, a high-paid SP does not fit with TB's limited payroll, so any ChiSox radio personality with a wet dream of dumping one of them for Crawford needs to wake up. Even if McCarthy were added, it makes no sense. The only place it makes sense is if 2-3 young established/semi-established SP were traded and Chicago just doesn't have that.

Now, I could see Crawford getting traded for one reason - he gets them 2-3 SP that are ready for the majors next year. Crawford is one of the oldest (in terms of ML service time) than the "bulk" of the younger players (e.g. Kazmir, Upton, DY, etc.) and I could see them trading Crawford to get the pitching up to speed with their offense.

The thing is, the only team that matches up really well with them (using that criteria) is the Marlins. With Olsen, Johnson, Sanchez, Nolasco and Petit (along with others in the system like Volsted), the Marlins could "afford" to trade 2-3 of those and still have young pitching for next season - not to mention they badly need a CF. There are other teams (e.g. Texas, LAD, ATL) with one or two established young SP, but those teams either are relying on them (i.e. no ready alternatives) or don't really need a CF.

In the end, I doubt Crawford gets traded. But if he does, I really doubt the ChiSox are the destination.

They won't get two young starting pitchers for Crawford (that is a resource that every major league team is valuing very highly right now, Boston for instance would not trade Lester for Andruw Jones at the trading deadline), but they should at least be able to get one young starting pitcher and a couple of highly hitting valued prospects. If TB can get say Wood and Santana for Crawford (which i am sure they can't) they should take it.

I don't know, Thome fetched Haigwood and Gio Gonzalez for PHI last year. I think if TB can find a suitor, then Crawford should bring back at least a couple of top pitching prospects.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:01 pm

I have been hearing more rumors of Baldelli possibly on the trade block this winter then I have of Crawford. Baldelli would not bring as much in return, so he could be the trade bait since most teams will not pay the price of a Crawford.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:03 pm

crawford should fetch some great prospects. unlike thome, andruw jones, soriano, etc. he has several years remaining on a contract that isnt exorbitant. maybe rocco would be better off getting moved but i think the d-rays figure crawdaddy will get the most in return. i think they are also planning on moving upton to the OF. somebody has to go (upton, crawford, baldy, young). the chisox may not be the best trading partner but i would expect the d-rays shop crawford around to see what they can get. if they can get a premium pitching prospect or a good established pitcher and some bullpen help they should make that trade.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby master453 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:33 pm

i love the idea of crawford for pitching. an upton-baldelli-young OF would be excellent. leaving (prob for 08) an infield of 3bwigginton-2blongoria-ssbrignac-1bcantu-dhgomes. thats a solid lineup. the rays need quality arms so badly.

i would continue to float crawford's name to LA (although with rivera's emergence they now have a LF in the rivera-figgins-vlad OF). if they could get say ervin santana and aybar (to hold down ss in 07- then either be trade bait or a util guy depending how he develops) for crawford i would do it in a second.

im sure the white sox would move a package on the order of garland/fields for him.

the rays gotta do something to get pitching. i see crawford or baldelli as their top trade chips. id be shopping either as aggressively as possible this offseason.
master453
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:55 pm

Please god Colorado Rockies management please make a move!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Rockies management? How bout those Cubbies!! Make a move Hendry.

List of to-do's:

1) Sign Girardi
2) Trade for Crawford
3)Do whatever is necessary to fix Barrett
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:08 pm

I'd love to see Crawford on the Sox. And I suspect it is possible if they are willing to trade Fields. It will not be a deal straight up but Ken Williams will find anothre team or two to work this deal.

The White Sox would part with a SP to get Crawford. Buerhle is usually the ace, but his innings should scare away most teams. Garland is probably the most wanted. They probably don't want to trade McCarthy because he is their only young arm. So who else can they trade? Podsednick and Fields would likely be headed elswhere for a prospect(s) the D-Rays wanted.

LAA is certainly the team the D-Rays should be calling andhas a better shot at landing Craw than the White Sox. But if the Angels don't want to offer a sweet deal, the White sox will be there to compete for him.

The White Sox have also planted rumors around Juan Pierre and of course they have been asking about Andruw Jones for the past 3 and half seasons. Chicago is probably doing research more than anything else and will make a move during the winter meetings. But I do think Pierre, Crawford or Jones is headed to Chicago before next season.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:09 pm

thedude wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:

If crawford goes on the market, there will be plenty of teams offering more than what chicago can...

This is exactly the reason why this deal makes no sense. After basically being handed Kazmir on a silver platter, their trade expectations over the last year or so have been so far out of whack they have been almost paralyzed, until this trade deadline with the Lugo deal and Gathright deals.

Additionally, I am sure there are dozens of teams out there that would give at least their best two frontline SP prospects for a guarantee of .300/20/50/90 type production at Trot Nixon type money.

Well, one reason for the start of trades again (and I agree that Kaz was the reason for the previous expectations) is a new GM that didn't have the same trade expectations as Lamar.

However, if Crawford is traded (which I doubt), and looking at the TB team, the obvious need is pitching. They have young players at most of the positions. However, a high-paid SP does not fit with TB's limited payroll, so any ChiSox radio personality with a wet dream of dumping one of them for Crawford needs to wake up. Even if McCarthy were added, it makes no sense. The only place it makes sense is if 2-3 young established/semi-established SP were traded and Chicago just doesn't have that.

Now, I could see Crawford getting traded for one reason - he gets them 2-3 SP that are ready for the majors next year. Crawford is one of the oldest (in terms of ML service time) than the "bulk" of the younger players (e.g. Kazmir, Upton, DY, etc.) and I could see them trading Crawford to get the pitching up to speed with their offense.

The thing is, the only team that matches up really well with them (using that criteria) is the Marlins. With Olsen, Johnson, Sanchez, Nolasco and Petit (along with others in the system like Volsted), the Marlins could "afford" to trade 2-3 of those and still have young pitching for next season - not to mention they badly need a CF. There are other teams (e.g. Texas, LAD, ATL) with one or two established young SP, but those teams either are relying on them (i.e. no ready alternatives) or don't really need a CF.

In the end, I doubt Crawford gets traded. But if he does, I really doubt the ChiSox are the destination.

They won't get two young starting pitchers for Crawford (that is a resource that every major league team is valuing very highly right now, Boston for instance would not trade Lester for Andruw Jones at the trading deadline), but they should at least be able to get one young starting pitcher and a couple of highly hitting valued prospects. If TB can get say Wood and Santana for Crawford (which i am sure they can't) they should take it.

Um, the Sox wouldn't do Lester, Hansen and Crisp for Andruw. The Sox called and asked and the Braves asked for the three and the Red Sox turned them down. The Braves never offered Andruw straight up for Lester.

Young SP is valuable to be sure, but I doubt many people honestly think that any team could get Crawford (or Andruw) for one rookie SP unless that guy is elite level (of which Lester is not) - and I doubt any team trades an elite level SP for anything.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby thedude » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:39 pm

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
thedude wrote:
Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:

Um, the Sox wouldn't do Lester, Hansen and Crisp for Andruw. The Sox called and asked and the Braves asked for the three and the Red Sox turned them down. The Braves never offered Andruw straight up for Lester.

Young SP is valuable to be sure, but I doubt many people honestly think that any team could get Crawford (or Andruw) for one rookie SP unless that guy is elite level (of which Lester is not) - and I doubt any team trades an elite level SP for anything.

At the time of this trade Lester was considered by most who know the minor leagues to be the second best lefty rookie. He was the deal breaker. The red sox would not have traded Lester straightup for Andruw Jones. That is the kind of emphsis teams out on young pitchers. Another example, the Angles would not trade Erwin Santana for Manny Ramiriez.

Outfield bats are easy to get, if you have the cash. Every off season there is a elite outfield bat avaiable (soriano this year, BEltran two years ago, Vlad, Manny, ect). but good qualitity young starting pitching is impossible to find unless you devolp it. Look at how much number three starters are getting in the free agent market.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby speedy27 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:28 pm

i'd like to see my Astros throw their names into the hat on Crawford as well...he's a hometown boy and maybe with Hunsicker in TB we can work something out with him? He knows our farm system quite well... :-?
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers