Rays might deal Crawford? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rays might deal Crawford?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Melo255 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:43 pm

I find it far more likely that if Crawford is traded it will be to the Angels for Ervin Santana and 2 of their many good prospects. As has been said often here the White Sox just don't have the young cheap arms that would be necessary to complete a trade.
If the Devil Rays could get a few very good pitching prospects for Crawford I think it would be great for their team. That offense is going to be doing some serious damage very soon, Crawford or no, and if they could line up 2 or 3 good starters behind Kazmir they could actually compete I think.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:45 pm

As I Crawford owner on my keeper team I'd jump for joy if he got out of Tampa "Idiots-R-Us" Bay for the CWS, but agree its unlikely. Tampa has got him locked up for at least 4 more years for a very cheap price (relatively speaking) for one of the game's young stars.

They'd almost certainly want something MAJOR in return -- but for Crawford, they just might get it. How many guys are out there with his speed/power combo, who is that young, gets 600+ at-bats like clockwork, has a good clubhouse presence, and still improving?

Plus, for fantasy we only care about his offensive stats, but Crawford is also an excellent OFer with a strong throwing arm. With his speed and range, he can be converted to center field quite easily, IMO.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:27 pm

If the D-Rays could get Buehrle in a contract with Chicago paying some of it with some prospects or even McCarthy involved then I think it would be in TB's best interest to do it. TB doesn't have any need whatsoever in OFs.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:33 pm

This looks like a sport radio rumor out of Chi-town to me...

If crawford goes on the market, there will be plenty of teams offering more than what chicago can...
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:34 pm

thedude wrote:This looks like a sport radio rumor out of Chi-town to me...

If crawford goes on the market, there will be plenty of teams offering more than what chicago can...

This is exactly the reason why this deal makes no sense. After basically being handed Kazmir on a silver platter, their trade expectations over the last year or so have been so far out of whack they have been almost paralyzed, until this trade deadline with the Lugo deal and Gathright deals.

Additionally, I am sure there are dozens of teams out there that would give at least their best two frontline SP prospects for a guarantee of .300/20/50/90 type production at Trot Nixon type money.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Slow Pitch » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:05 pm

Crawford will be a somewhere else by spring training is my guess at this thing. The LAA seem to be the perfect trading partner.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Old_Style » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:22 am

i'm thinking the same thing will happen as the supposed trade that landed alfonso soriano on the sox ball club before the deadline.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:27 am

It makes sense to move Crawford, but not to the White Sox. Like everyone has said, they don't have the players to pry Crawford from the D-Rays. LAA seems to be a great partner. They need to get a good major league starer with a few good prospects to make the deal worth doing.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:40 am

thomasps3 wrote:

This is exactly the reason why this deal makes no sense. After basically being handed Kazmir on a silver platter, their trade expectations over the last year or so have been so far out of whack they have been almost paralyzed, until this trade deadline with the Lugo deal and Gathright deals.

Additionally, I am sure there are dozens of teams out there that would give at least their best two frontline SP prospects for a guarantee of .300/20/50/90 type production at Trot Nixon type money.

Well, one reason for the start of trades again (and I agree that Kaz was the reason for the previous expectations) is a new GM that didn't have the same trade expectations as Lamar.

However, if Crawford is traded (which I doubt), and looking at the TB team, the obvious need is pitching. They have young players at most of the positions. However, a high-paid SP does not fit with TB's limited payroll, so any ChiSox radio personality with a wet dream of dumping one of them for Crawford needs to wake up. Even if McCarthy were added, it makes no sense. The only place it makes sense is if 2-3 young established/semi-established SP were traded and Chicago just doesn't have that.

Now, I could see Crawford getting traded for one reason - he gets them 2-3 SP that are ready for the majors next year. Crawford is one of the oldest (in terms of ML service time) than the "bulk" of the younger players (e.g. Kazmir, Upton, DY, etc.) and I could see them trading Crawford to get the pitching up to speed with their offense.

The thing is, the only team that matches up really well with them (using that criteria) is the Marlins. With Olsen, Johnson, Sanchez, Nolasco and Petit (along with others in the system like Volsted), the Marlins could "afford" to trade 2-3 of those and still have young pitching for next season - not to mention they badly need a CF. There are other teams (e.g. Texas, LAD, ATL) with one or two established young SP, but those teams either are relying on them (i.e. no ready alternatives) or don't really need a CF.

In the end, I doubt Crawford gets traded. But if he does, I really doubt the ChiSox are the destination.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby thedude » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:08 am

Dawgpound 1613 wrote:
thomasps3 wrote:

Well, one reason for the start of trades again (and I agree that Kaz was the reason for the previous expectations) is a new GM that didn't have the same trade expectations as Lamar.

However, if Crawford is traded (which I doubt), and looking at the TB team, the obvious need is pitching. They have young players at most of the positions. However, a high-paid SP does not fit with TB's limited payroll, so any ChiSox radio personality with a wet dream of dumping one of them for Crawford needs to wake up. Even if McCarthy were added, it makes no sense. The only place it makes sense is if 2-3 young established/semi-established SP were traded and Chicago just doesn't have that.

Now, I could see Crawford getting traded for one reason - he gets them 2-3 SP that are ready for the majors next year. Crawford is one of the oldest (in terms of ML service time) than the "bulk" of the younger players (e.g. Kazmir, Upton, DY, etc.) and I could see them trading Crawford to get the pitching up to speed with their offense.

The thing is, the only team that matches up really well with them (using that criteria) is the Marlins. With Olsen, Johnson, Sanchez, Nolasco and Petit (along with others in the system like Volsted), the Marlins could "afford" to trade 2-3 of those and still have young pitching for next season - not to mention they badly need a CF. There are other teams (e.g. Texas, LAD, ATL) with one or two established young SP, but those teams either are relying on them (i.e. no ready alternatives) or don't really need a CF.

In the end, I doubt Crawford gets traded. But if he does, I really doubt the ChiSox are the destination.

They won't get two young starting pitchers for Crawford (that is a resource that every major league team is valuing very highly right now, Boston for instance would not trade Lester for Andruw Jones at the trading deadline), but they should at least be able to get one young starting pitcher and a couple of highly hitting valued prospects. If TB can get say Wood and Santana for Crawford (which i am sure they can't) they should take it.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers