Rays might deal Crawford? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rays might deal Crawford?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Rays might deal Crawford?

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:47 am

TheYanks04 wrote:For a WSox starter? Hard to believe they are that DUMB. Does TB realize that Crawford is the best talent on their team?

Rotoworld:
The White Sox are expected to make a play for Carl Crawford, a player Tampa Bay is said to be willing to move this offseason.

Chicago would have to part with one of its six starters, but at least that would open the door for Brandon McCarthy to finally move into the rotation. The Chisox would probably also need to deal one or two prospects.

I'm guessing McCarthy and some prospects would be in any deal involving TB & Crawford.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rays might deal Crawford?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:54 am

Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:For a WSox starter? Hard to believe they are that DUMB. Does TB realize that Crawford is the best talent on their team?

Rotoworld:
The White Sox are expected to make a play for Carl Crawford, a player Tampa Bay is said to be willing to move this offseason.

Chicago would have to part with one of its six starters, but at least that would open the door for Brandon McCarthy to finally move into the rotation. The Chisox would probably also need to deal one or two prospects.

I'm guessing McCarthy and some prospects would be in any deal involving TB & Crawford.

Same here. If TB were going after any of the ChiSox pitchers McCarthy seems like the most attractive to me.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:11 pm

If the WSox got Crawford for McCarthy and a prospect, someone should give their GM a raise because that amounts to felony larceny.

Check that. they should also have a parade down whatever passes for the Canyon of Heroes in Chicago and give him the keys to the city.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bozo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:36 pm

It sounds to me like the Chisox aren't offering McCarthy. They want to deal one of the other five and plug McCarthy into the vacated spot.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 30)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:44 pm

Bozo wrote:It sounds to me like the Chisox aren't offering McCarthy. They want to deal one of the other five and plug McCarthy into the vacated spot.
Yeah, but I just don't see how that would help the D-Rays. None of those 5 have McCarthy's potential and cheap price tag.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bozo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Bozo wrote:It sounds to me like the Chisox aren't offering McCarthy. They want to deal one of the other five and plug McCarthy into the vacated spot.
Yeah, but I just don't see how that would help the D-Rays. None of those 5 have McCarthy's potential and cheap price tag.

I agree, that's my point. Getting one of Buehrle, Garland, Contreras, Vazquez, or Garcia doesn't improve the Rays. There better be a boatload of prospects coming along as well.
Bozo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 30)

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:47 pm

Why is it that TB would ever entertain trading one of their most exciting players after inking him to a 5 year deal at pathetically lame dollars? Why don't they seem willing to trade constantly injured, overrated Baldelli? C'mon. That just seems d-u-m-b.

Oh, I forgot. It's TB we're talking about.

:-t :-t
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:02 pm

thomasps3 wrote:Why is it that TB would ever entertain trading one of their most exciting players after inking him to a 5 year deal at pathetically lame dollars? Why don't they seem willing to trade constantly injured, overrated Baldelli? C'mon. That just seems d-u-m-b.
Because they have a ton of good OF and Crawford would bring the most in return. Crawford is a good player but he seems overvalued in general. McCarthy isn't enough. But if they can get a top SP prospect and get some other decent prospects thrown in they should go for it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:24 pm

I disagree. If they got a Santana or Halladay maybe. But trading someone like Crawford with an unbelievably attractive contract with 4 years left for anything outside of an established ace makes no sense to me. What they on a five year plan again? It that is the case, then they should unload everyone with 3 or more years of service, starting with Baldelli.

Bottom line is no one is going to trade elite pitching. You have to develop it on the farm or pay for it via free agency (the Kazmir deal/stupidity not withstanding). They are bette roff keeping Crawford if they want to compete anytime soon. One might argue they have no real intention of competing ever and this type of talk [retty much confirms that imo. Make some bucks and trade your stars before they cost you too much in salary so you can continue to make money off revenue sharing.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:26 pm

I think this is more of a White Sox GM dream then an actual trade rumor. Crawford is inked for several more years and is absolutely great trade bait, but you will have to come up with much more then 2 pitchers to get him. Plus if Crawford was actually on the block, I imagine more teams then just Chicago would be interested.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers