thoughts on this trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

thoughts on this trade?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:25 pm

pirates trade

2B - Castillo, Jose $327K (2009)

A's Trade

Humberto Sanchez SP (prospect)

6x6(OBP, HLD) 28 teams. My 2B is Cantu(I'm Oakland) right now.

I get Castillo
Last edited by PlayingWithFire on Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:44 pm

I think Humberto Sanchez is a big injury risk, but giving that you had Cantu, that deal doesn't look bad.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:03 am

I'm giving Sanchez and receiving Castillo
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nathan050904 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:55 pm

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of Sanchez. I think he's being vastly overrated. Major league players can hit fastballs. I am not sure 'bout his secondary stuff. I don't think it's a terrible deal for you. Although, to be honest I've been focused on youth all year (Finished 9th out of 10 teams) Although, I like my future and I think Ill be contending next year. But, Sanchez really was never on the list of guys that peaked my interest.
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 am

I like the deal... Castillo is thoroughly ordinary (then again so was Cantu this year), and Sanchez could be much more than ordinary

edit: Sorry I missed the part where you said you get Castillo... I don't think he's worth the prospect... for a prospect of Sanchez's caliber you should be able to do a bit better... heck, I would rather have a Dustin Pedroia (who will hit for decent avg and score a TON of runs) than Castillo... whose power isn't that great, and doesn't seem to be improving.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 15)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:35 pm

Niffoc4 wrote:I like the deal... Castillo is thoroughly ordinary (then again so was Cantu this year), and Sanchez could be much more than ordinary

edit: Sorry I missed the part where you said you get Castillo... I don't think he's worth the prospect... for a prospect of Sanchez's caliber you should be able to do a bit better... heck, I would rather have a Dustin Pedroia (who will hit for decent avg and score a TON of runs) than Castillo... whose power isn't that great, and doesn't seem to be improving.

only if I could get Pedroia I would :-°
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigmex » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:29 am

not a chance in hell you should make that move. cantu is your 2b right now and he is still better than castillo imo. getting castillo only gives you depth. Sanchez may be overrated (who really knows?) but with a guy rated that high, you dont wanna deal him unless you are getting something you can for sure use. what happens next year if cantu comes into the season healthy rather than hurt and goes back to producing like he did? then castillo moves to your bench and wont see the light of day. and you dealt a big time prospect to get a back up. IF, and i mean IF, you really feel that castillo is better than castillo, then i guess you help yourself now as opposed to later. but even if you see castillo as better it cant be better by much, so you dont improve much.

keep in mind that there is talk that sanchez has an outside shot at a rotation spot this upcoming season in Detroit. Its likely that he wont be in the rotation next season barring an injury. but it is likely that he gets a role in the bullpen. so depending on your league stat categories, sanchez may have a great value this upcomign season even if he doesnt end up in the rotation.

i would say dont do the deal because even though you get a "sure thing" in castillo who is already in the pros...he is a player who either had a fluke or break out year, and im leaning toward fluke personally. nt worth a possible fluke player to lose a guy like sanchez
bigmex
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball