2006 Fantasy Baseball awards!! Must read... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2006 Fantasy Baseball awards!! Must read...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2006 Fantasy Baseball awards!! Must read...

Postby elltrain22 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:52 pm

Hitter of the year
Albert Pujols

Still the best there is. Had some serious competition this year, but when it comes down to it, he is still the man, whom we all drool over to have.

Honorable mention: Ryan Howard, Alfonso Soriano, David Ortiz, Jose Reyes.

Pitcher of the year
Johan Santana

No brainer pick here. Santana is amazing, and is the type of player that can you always count on to deliver no matter what.

Honorable mention: Chris Carpenter, Brandon Webb, Joe Nathan, K-Rod.

Disappointment of the year
Derrick Lee

Injuries did him in this year. Many drafts was a top 5 pick and he only delivered 8 hr's, and a 280 avg. Ouch!!

Dishonorable mention: Randy Johnson, Josh Beckett, Chone Figgins, Hideki Matsui, Gary Sheffield, & Brad Lidge.

Surprise of the year
Dan Uggla & Hanley Ramirez

Couldn't choose just one. Both were spectacular this year, and if you picked em up like me, you were grinnin all the way to 1st place in your league.

Honorable mention: Freddy Sanchez, Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Michael Cuddyer, Garrett Atkins, Aaron Harang, JJ Putz, Matt Cain, Wang, and a lot more I left out...

Catcher of the year
Joe Mauer

Very close w/ Brian McCann, but the 1st AL catcher to ever win a batting title gives him the title.

Honorable mention: Brian McCann, & Victor Martinez

1st Baseman of the year
Albert Pujols

Honorable mention: Ryan Howard, David Ortiz, Lance Berkman, Justin Morneau

2nd Baseman of the year
Chase Utley

310 avg, 30+ hr's, 100 rbi's, 130+ runs, 15 sb's, what a friggin' year!!

Honorable mention: Michael Cuddyer, Bill Hall, Dan Uggla

Shortstop of the year
Jose Reyes & Derek Jeter

Couldn't choose 1 out of the 2. These 2 guys are game changers, and are guys you brag about having on your team.

Honorable mention: Jimmy Rollins, Hanley Ramirez, & Miguel Tejada

3rd Baseman of the year
Miguel Cabrera

Very close w/ the others, but his average, rbi's, and runs scored put him a top this list.

Honorable mention: Alex Rodriguez, Garrett Atkins, David Wright, Armaris Ramirez

OF's of the year
Alfonso Soriano, Matt Holliday, and Carlos Beltran

Many won't argue w/ Soriano & Beltran, but some might scratch there head at Holliday. His numbers were phonomenal, and if he was on your team, you loved him in your playoff stretch run.

Honorable mention: Jermaine Dye, Carlos Lee, Vlad Guerrero, Carl Crawford, & Grady Sizemore

Starting Pitchers of the year
Johan Santana, Chris Carpenter, John Smoltz, Brandon Webb, & Carlos Zambrano

These 5 guys were healthy thoughout the entire year, and were very consistent.

Honorable mention: Aaron Harang, Roy Oswalt, Francisco Liariano, & Roy Halladay

Closer of the year
K-Rod

ML leader in saves was lights out this year, and his best years are yet to come.

Honorable mention: Joe Nathan, BJ Ryan, Trevor Hoffman, JJ Putz, & Billy Wagner

10 guys who I am targeting next year
10. Ryan Theriot- Has Michael Young written all over him, w/ more power, and more speed.
9. Clay Hensley- This guy was great down the stretch, plus he pitches in the most pitcher-friendly ball park in baseball.
8. Chuck James- Very consistent in most all of his starts, plus he has a great teacher in John Smoltz.
7. Chris Duffy- This guy could have a big impact next year. Legitimately could hit over 320, and steal 45-50 bases.
6. Delmon Young- We all just got a glimpse of what this guy can do, but he is capable of so much more.
5. Nick Markakis- Everyone who says that what he did in 06 was luck, didn't see him hit. He is a great young talent.
4. Matt Cain- A little erractic w/ some of starts this year, but when he is on, no one can touch him.
3. Rich Hill- How good was this guy down the stretch? Makes ya totally forget about Prior & Wood.
2. Cole Hamels- Fantastic 2nd half. Wins, K's, low era, low whip, makes him the young sp I want the most.
1. Rocco Baldelli- I am a little biased here, but this guy was fantastic in all of August & September, and we got to see a glimpse of his power. Next year, he will explode!!
============================================

May think of some more categories later. If you think of any, please add on to it.[/b]
elltrain22
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mugrila » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:59 pm

I would throw Ramon Hernandez in there as an honorable mention catcher.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Brandaddy » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:10 pm

i like the list but im biased towards mcann for catcher of the year. just cuz in his last 2 weeks my championship he went 7-4-17-.395 i had him along with andruw jones (17-7-17-.341) and they basicly carried me to the title, so just for that im going with mcann.
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Melo255 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:05 pm

How is Papelbon not on the list for closers? Even missing pretty much a month he put up better numbers than almost all closers. His end of year value beat out almost everyone.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigken117 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Since Soriano qualified as a 2B this season, he belongs there. Nobody in my leagues played him in the OF. Nice list though ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:38 pm

Soriano should have been your 2nd bestman of the year. Outside of that I thought the list looked good.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:46 pm

Paplebon is, by far, closer of the year, even after mising most of september.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby XHendrix » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Please tell me why Jered Weaver is excluded from any of the pitching list.
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:17 am

I don't think Theriot is anything better than a good utility player. Best case, he ends up being slower Ryan Freel with a lil more pop.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:18 am

thedude wrote:Paplebon is, by far, closer of the year, even after mising most of september.

I think the fact that FRod played the whole season, while putting up more saves and more k's while posting a very good ERA and WHIP would qualify him to have been the best closer of the year. Paps was easily the first halfs best closer, but left his owners high and dry come the second half of the season. Krod on the other hand had a pretty good first half and an amazing 2nd half.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers