Dusty Baker fired (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dusty Baker fired (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:47 pm

Common usage of the world Pennant includes divisional champtions and league wide championships. Some examples linked below.

http://www.jackhodgson.com/weblog/archi ... 01773.html

"Redsox clinch the AL East pennant... for the Yankees"

http://lefarkins.blogspot.com/2006/08/2 ... ed-by.html

"2006 AL East Pennant Race, Abated By Death "

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/10-pennant-races.html

"1987: Tigers topple spiralling Blue Jays

The Detroit Tigers rebounded from a sluggish 11-19 start to contend for the AL East pennant with the Toronto Blue Jays
"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pennant
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:48 pm

The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:52 pm

1. Nautical A long, tapering, usually triangular flag, used on ships for signaling or identification.
2. A flag or an emblem similar in shape to a ship's pennant.
3. Sports
a. A flag that symbolizes the championship of a league, especially a professional baseball league.
b. The championship symbolized by such a flag.

thanks for that one.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:06 pm

Well, as far as I have understood it, the term "Pennant" in baseball has always and will always refer to a league championship. You with the AL ppennent by winning the ALCS. The NL Pennant by winng the NLCS. And you win a championship/title/ring by winning the WS and defeating the other league's champion.

Division winners are usually referred to having won "Division Titles" not pennants. If some websites are allowing for a looser definition that is up to them. In baseball, I have never heard anyone refer to the Yankees as pennant winners in 2005. Now we could get silly and say something like AL East pennant winners or 1997 Wildcard pennent winners, but that is just really silly imo.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:10 pm

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm

The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:21 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Division winners are usually referred to having won "Division Titles" not pennants.

Calling them divisional titles didn't become commonplace until some time around the late 80s, early 90s.

Check out this caption from the NY times. (It captioned an image of Joe Torre being showered with champagne).

NY Yankees manager Joe Torre enjoys a beer and champagne shower after his club clinched a 9th consecutive American League East Pennant in Toronto on September 20, 2006.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Amazinz wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Division winners are usually referred to having won "Division Titles" not pennants.

Calling them divisional titles didn't become commonplace until some time around the late 80s, early 90s.

Check out this caption from the NY times. (It captioned an image of Joe Torre being showered with champagne).

NY Yankees manager Joe Torre enjoys a beer and champagne shower after his club clinched a 9th consecutive American League East Pennant in Toronto on September 20, 2006.

alright well i posted 10 links and youre using the quote of a photo. i mean can you find any links for lists of divisional pennant winners? because i sure cant.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:29 pm

I don't need to.
I am right.
Alas, I have grown wiery of argueing with your pure genius. I mean you are with out a doubt the smartest baseball guy I have ever met. these people here can't hold a candle to the extra intelligence that is just oozeing for your keyboard ...

we are not worthy ..

Now, since you obviouslly can't find anything from a baseball site, other than that info for kids .. an imediate classic IMO .. let me help, though of course in your usual manner, you'll just spit in everybodys face, but hey, at least I tried one last time..

What happened in baseball in 1969? (that would be the year after 1968, I figure i'll save you from having to dig thru info for kids again .. 1967, 1968, 1969) what happened ?

and what does the link to the ALCS prove? its the ALCS, which coincedently didn't begin until .... (any guesses) :-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:32 pm

wrveres wrote:and what does the link to the ALCS prove? its the ALCS, which coincedently didn't begin until .... (any guesses) :-D

In Major League Baseball, the American League Championship Series (ALCS), played in October, is a playoff round that determines the winner of the American League pennant. The winner of the series advances to play the winner of the National League Championship Series in baseball's championship, the World Series. It began in 1969, when the American League was reorganized into two divisions, East and West. The winners of each division played each other in a best-of-five series to determine who would advance to the World Series. In 1985, the format changed to best-of-seven.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers