Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Offseason

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:54 am

Let's all discuss the Red's offseason: What we want them to do and what they actually do.
FantasyMan13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby pope » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Let’s take a look at the Reds by position group:

The starting rotation is pretty much in place:

1. Arroyo
2. Harang
3. Bailey
4. Milton
5. Loshe, E-Z Ramirez? :-?

Possible Moves:
I do not see this organization making any moves for starting pitching in the offseason for two reasons:
1. This is the best rotation for Cincy since maybe 1995.
2. They can’t afford to.

The Bullpen is going to need some work. Having a few of thier players healthy again will help. Also, letting Weathers and Merker walk will probably be a good thing for the club, because it will save enough money to sign THREE of these guys:

David Riske
Jose Mesa
Matt Herges
Eddie Guardado
Danys Baez
Chad Bradford
Dustin Hermanson

The Red’s are probably not going to have a closer next year either.

The outfield is currently occupied by Dunn, Griffey, and a Denorfia/Freel combination. The Reds are going to shop Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Junior around. I'm not sure that they will be able to obtain any productive talent for them, but the move will save money. With that money the Reds should sign one of:

Kenny Lofton
Gary Matthews Jr.
Juan Pierre
Dave Roberts
Jay Payton
Moises Alou

I am not hopeful that Cincinnati will be able to deal either Griff or Dunn, both of whom may now be untradable.
:~(

The Infield is kind of a mess. I have not heard any speculation since season's end, but it would not suprise me to see B. Phillips as the starting shortstop.
C- Ross, LaRue, Valentin
1B- Hatteburg
2B - Aurilia
SS - B. Phillips
3B - Encarnacion

In a perfect world, the Reds would like to move Encarnacion to the outfield, because of his brutal plas as a third baseman last year. Their problem with doing that is that the reds already have Dunn and Griffey in the outfield. How many defensive holes can one outfield have?

Conclusions
This team may have to wait until some of their young talent develops in order to be a contender. This is a team with no bullpen and no team defense. Ken Griffey Junior's salary continues to handcuff this once proud franchise. The work that Dan O'Brien (Rick Apante) did as the general manager is starting to pay off. There is hope with prospects such as Homer Bailey and Joey Votto. Plus, the entire AA pitching staff put up nice numbers as a whole last season. GM Wayne Krivski's is trying to mold the team in his Twins-esque image (team speed, defense, and pitching). This is going to take a couple of years to accomplish. That should coincide nicely with getting the untradable Junior off the books.
pope
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SAV » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:40 pm

Leave Encarnacion at 3B ... he'll settle down to be solid there. I say dump salary of Griffey, install Denorfia in LF, give Dunn his 1B mitt, and let Freel cover CF 5 games/week.

Bigger question is why do you need 3 decent catchers? Trade Ross & Valentin while they still have value (don't repeat the Griffey/Dunn paralysis). Give the staff back to LaRue (best defensively of the bunch) and sign S.Alomar or Fassano to back him up for day games after nights.

Just my thoughts ...
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:00 pm

Reds acquire:

Alex Gonzalez (3 yrs/$14M)
Mike Stanton (2 years/$5.5M)
Bubba Crosby (1 year

Reds rumors:

Likely to buyout the rest of Aurilias contract

Analysis:

I love the signing of Gonzalez. It gives us a gold glove type fielder with some power. He's just 3 years removed from a 23 HR/79 RBI season with the Marlins. This also allows us to leave Phillips at 2B, where he is more suited, and gives us a young, solid middle of the infield. What's next for the Reds? I think we'll go after some bulpen help. I think that our offense is fine as it is, and if we can get bulpen help, you never know what could happen.
FantasyMan13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SAV » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:31 pm

SAV wrote:Leave Encarnacion at 3B ... he'll settle down to be solid there. I say dump salary of Griffey, install Denorfia in LF, give Dunn his 1B mitt, and let Freel cover CF 5 games/week.

Bigger question is why do you need 3 decent catchers? Trade Ross & Valentin while they still have value (don't repeat the Griffey/Dunn paralysis). Give the staff back to LaRue (best defensively of the bunch) and sign S.Alomar or Fassano to back him up for day games after nights.

Just my thoughts ...

Well, that logjam got cleared ... LaRue banished to Kansas City!
Thank you!
SAV

“You win pennants in the off season when you build your teams with trades and free agents.” –Earl Weaver
SAV
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Cincinnati Reds