Good Strategy, or just a Very Cheap Move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Good Strategy, or just a Very Cheap Move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jdh » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:00 pm

I see no problem with this strategy if the league has been set up in that manner. The best way to avoid it will be next year to insist on weekly transactions. That way, you have to choose 5 or 6 pitchers for the week and can't change them during the week. Either that or go to a roto league instead of h2h. I personally hate h2h because it comes down to way too much luck.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby g00lag » Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:59 pm

The commish in our league locked our rosters during the playoffs, we can only make changes if a guy gets injured. It's worked out for the most part, minor grumbling from the weekly roster churners but I'm happy with it.

But other people are right in that you need to lay the ground rules first.
g00lag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:03 pm

g00lag wrote:The commish in our league locked our rosters during the playoffs, we can only make changes if a guy gets injured. It's worked out for the most part, minor grumbling from the weekly roster churners but I'm happy with it.

I wish that is how we played it. I mean, we are suppose to find out who has the best team right? It's not suppose to be about who can pick up the most guys.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:
g00lag wrote:The commish in our league locked our rosters during the playoffs, we can only make changes if a guy gets injured. It's worked out for the most part, minor grumbling from the weekly roster churners but I'm happy with it.

I wish that is how we played it. I mean, we are suppose to find out who has the best team right? It's not suppose to be about who can pick up the most guys.

Exactly. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:07 pm

Madison wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. ;-D

True... but as far as I'm concerned, if it's within the rules, then what can you do? I mean, the team I'm against in the championships was in first for most of the season. I caught and passed him with a great August. We're tied right now 5-5, and we're both trying to maximize what we can. None of us are picking up four starters a day, but I tell you that as our starters make our last starts, we'll be grabbing pitchers. However, if you're in a bigger league, this is useless. For me, people like Lilly are still available (eight team league), and I plan on grabbing them.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:18 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Madison wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Exactly. ;-D

True... but as far as I'm concerned, if it's within the rules, then what can you do? I mean, the team I'm against in the championships was in first for most of the season. I caught and passed him with a great August. We're tied right now 5-5, and we're both trying to maximize what we can. None of us are picking up four starters a day, but I tell you that as our starters make our last starts, we'll be grabbing pitchers. However, if you're in a bigger league, this is useless. For me, people like Lilly are still available (eight team league), and I plan on grabbing them.

I agree to do whatever you can to win as long as it's within the league rules.

Personally, I just play roto or find a H2H league with transaction limits.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:47 pm

Certain stats can actually be hurt by doing that. Like has been mentioned, it's all about the rules.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers