Good Strategy, or just a Very Cheap Move? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Good Strategy, or just a Very Cheap Move?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Good Strategy, or just a Very Cheap Move?

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:36 am

It is the fantasy baseball World Series in my league and my team has been fortunate enough to be in it. I am more of a football guy, and have been caught up in football. I still have played my team everyday, but today I actually looked at the stats or my match, and I was shocked to find what I saw.

My opponent had over 100 innings pitched! What he has done is picked up and dropped pitchers EVERYDAY! I hate our rules how we can make daily roster changes, because then it opens the flood gates for owners like this guy. It turns out that this guy is our commissioner. This guy has been doing this more or less for most of the season, but not to this extent. He has always picked upa few guys every week, but he is picking up multiple guys everyday.

Sure, you can say that I TOO have the opportunity to pick up and drop guys everday. BUT come on, this is our championship match, I don't think we should make it a race to the waiver wire to decide whose team is better.

I just find this to be a cheap move. Do you think I have an argument here, or should I be the one to quit whining and shut my mouth?

Halfway through our match I still do have a 7-4-1 lead (roto style head to head). I am however, still disgusted, to see the other owner playing this way.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:58 am

I think the problem lies above all in your league's rules. Once those rules are set, it's hard to blame someone for taking advantage of them.

Personally, I agree that this sort of waiver wire churning isn't the best thing, both for a sense of baseball 'realism' and for gameplay. Just as there should be a lower limit on innings pitched to make sure nobody wins the era and whip categories by having a reliever pitch a scoreless inning and then never using a pitcher again, I think there should also be a maximum number (something like 1450 usually works pretty well). Just an opinion, of course - others may disagree.

At any rate, good luck in your World Series! And hopefully, you'll be able to remove this loophole from your rules next season...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LetsPlay2 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:21 am

It's dopey but within the rules. No harm in whining a little, but do all your whining here and not to the people who are in your league. Just quietly come up with a solution in the form of new rules in the off season for next year so this doesn't happen again. Best of luck this week.
LetsPlay2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:36 am

It's legal, but I certainly frown against it. That's why I no longer will play a H2H league that doesn't have a limit on roster transactions. 40 moves a year seems to work well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby timkell » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:59 am

If it's within the rules, it's fair play and smart ownership.

Don't blame the owner, blame the rules. Change the rules for next year or go for a weekly trans league.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:19 pm

its legal according to your league rules and, as you mentioned, has been going on in some form for most of the season. there is little point in arguing about it now. had you voiced a complaint earlier in the season you might have been able to work something out.

i am not so fond of the strategy so i had a gentleman's agreement with most of the owners in my head to head league to not employ that strategy. if we wanted to carry more starters we had to sacrifice our bench hitters.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:48 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:its legal according to your league rules and, as you mentioned, has been going on in some form for most of the season. there is little point in arguing about it now. had you voiced a complaint earlier in the season you might have been able to work something out.

well, it he has been doing it to a very lower extent. He might be picking up two or three guys a week, based on matchups. I think that is well within fair grounds.

However, this week, I looked up the transactions, and he has been picking up FOUR pitchers a DAY! He is over 100 innings in one week!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:well, it he has been doing it to a very lower extent. He might be picking up two or three guys a week, based on matchups. I think that is well within fair grounds.

However, this week, I looked up the transactions, and he has been picking up FOUR pitchers a DAY! He is over 100 innings in one week!

sorry for not being clear. whether or not he has done it in the past is sort of irrelevant. what i meant is that had you proposed a rule change early in the season it might have passed but you cant expect to change the rules in the final week of the season (i.e. you dont really have an argument). you should also expect an owner to take any means necessary within the rules to win the championship.

but like everyone says, its not a strategy that we like so next year we make sure we are in leagues that prevent such things.

a little off topic but he must not have been doing it very long if he has been picking up four pitchers a day. i hit 92 innings last week on 12 starts and a couple relievers.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:18 pm

well, I just counted them up, he's started 21 guys in one week, sure some of his picks didn't work out, but he definitely has the W and Ks category in the bag

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:34 pm

I agree with most of the others in that while it might not be the classiest way to run a team, it is well within the rules that were specified before the season started. In the future, have certain measures in place so that this doesn't happen again. For now, either accept it or.......when in Rome....... :-D :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers