Playoff game times announced - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Playoff game times announced

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Playoff game times announced

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:26 pm

Playoff game times announced

DETROIT -- As expected, the Tigers will open the playoffs at 1 p.m. Tuesday if they're the Central Division champ and play Oakland. Game 2 would be Wednesday at 1, and Game 3 in Oakland would be Friday at 4 p.m., Detroit time.

If the Tigers are the wild card and play the Yankees, Game 1 would be Tuesday at 8 p.m, Game 2 Wednesday at 7 p.m., and Game 3 on Friday at 8 p.m. at Comerica.

No game times have been announced for Games 4 and 5.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 959
Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:15 am

Apparently, Robertson gets the call in game 1, Verlander in Game 2, Rogers in game 3, and Bonderman in game 4.

They are going to seriously need their pitching to get going again if they are going to have a chance against a team where the #9 hitter, Cano, was a batting title contender. And hopefully mad scientist Leyland still has some tricks up his sleeve. The Yankees are extremely tough, but they are not perfect. Perhaps we can catch them offguard?
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby moochman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:45 am

I don't like the odds of the Tigers doing more than maybe winning one game. And it wouldn't matter who we were playing. This team looks like they are too happy to be here, in addition to looking spent.
Still the hitters do seem to be hitting more, but the match up with the Yankees isn't good. They will not throw fastballs over the middle of the plate early in the count and the Tigers show no inclination to lay off pitches.
The sudden pitching slump worries me even more than their awful fielding. The Yankees are patient at the plate and wear down the Tigers pitching. The bull pen looks vulnerable. It could get ugly. Starters have got to step it up and steal us a game in NY.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:50 pm

moochman wrote:I don't like the odds of the Tigers doing more than maybe winning one game. And it wouldn't matter who we were playing. This team looks like they are too happy to be here, in addition to looking spent.
Still the hitters do seem to be hitting more, but the match up with the Yankees isn't good. They will not throw fastballs over the middle of the plate early in the count and the Tigers show no inclination to lay off pitches.
The sudden pitching slump worries me even more than their awful fielding. The Yankees are patient at the plate and wear down the Tigers pitching. The bull pen looks vulnerable. It could get ugly. Starters have got to step it up and steal us a game in NY.


yeah, i'm pretty worried, but win or lose, it was an entertaining year and much better than them being eliminated in May
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
moochman wrote:I don't like the odds of the Tigers doing more than maybe winning one game. And it wouldn't matter who we were playing. This team looks like they are too happy to be here, in addition to looking spent.
Still the hitters do seem to be hitting more, but the match up with the Yankees isn't good. They will not throw fastballs over the middle of the plate early in the count and the Tigers show no inclination to lay off pitches.
The sudden pitching slump worries me even more than their awful fielding. The Yankees are patient at the plate and wear down the Tigers pitching. The bull pen looks vulnerable. It could get ugly. Starters have got to step it up and steal us a game in NY.


yeah, i'm pretty worried, but win or lose, it was an entertaining year and much better than them being eliminated in May
I'm being as optimistic as possible. If I think it's over before they even play, I'm not going to enjoy the games very much. But that's just me. Instead of worrying, I'll be enjoying the games. Not only am I behind the team as a Tiger fan, I'm also with them as a Yankee hater. They can win, but it's not going to be easy for certain and it's going to have to be a different team than what we saw in KC. People are down on the Tigers right now and they seriously have to step up.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby moochman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:11 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:I'm being as optimistic as possible. If I think it's over before they even play, I'm not going to enjoy the games very much. But that's just me. Instead of worrying, I'll be enjoying the games. Not only am I behind the team as a Tiger fan, I'm also with them as a Yankee hater. They can win, but it's not going to be easy for certain and it's going to have to be a different team than what we saw in KC. People are down on the Tigers right now and they seriously have to step up.


Make no mistake, there are two things that can be counted on:
1) The Tigers can beat the Yankees. They have enough pitching and if their hitting is timely.....
2) From first pitch to last I will be hopful. My crappy cynical attitude doesn't follow me to the game. I have an unbelievable knack for what is called 'suspension of dis-belief' I allows me to see Robertson throwing a four hit shut-out Tuesday rather than the four hit game with six walks and three errors leading to a 3-1 loss.

There is hope, it would not be a stunner if the Tigers beat this Yankee team.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:54 am

Reasons why the Tigers stand a chance:
1)Wang is hardly any more dominant of a game 1 starter than Robertson
2)Randy Johnson isn't going to be anywhere near 100% if he can play at all.
3)Mariano Rivera isn't anywhere near 100% either. Maybe he's vulnerable?
4)A-Choke looms
5)Sheffield is still adjusting at first base.
6)Farnsworth in the playoffs. Enough said...
7)5 game series is better for an underdog than 7
8)Tigers were better on the road than at home
9)Leyland, the mad scientist and the likely AL Manager of the Year
10)Pitching. Talent-wise, the Tigers pitching is better.

Reasons why the Tigers will have a hard time:
1)Inexperience in the post season. many of the Yankees have done this before and many times
2)Going into the series on a bad stretch for the Tigers
3)3/5 games at the always hostile Yankee Stadium.
4)Leyland, the mad scientist. He does crazy things at times and may either work for or against them.
5)Pitching. If the pitching we had against KC shows up, it won't be pretty.
6)Offense. Yankees offense is better.
7)Neifi Perez. Sorry, if he doesn't play, it doesn't matter, but I just had to include him.

The Tigers are underwhelming underdogs to those making their playoff picks, but do not count this team out. Honestly, I think if we have to face the Yankees, best get it out of the way now in a 5 game series. I cannot wait to watch the Tigers play some postseason baseball!
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1664
Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby ScarletP » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm going to actually step out on a limb and say that the Tigers beat the Yankees in 4.

It seems that in the playoffs, the Yankees always seem to lose to the improbable underdog (of course it's the Yankees, which means that most teams that they play are underdogs). Could this be the year that the Tigers are that underdog?

Tonight is really going to set the tone. Yankee Stadium is extremely hostile. However, if Robertson can shut down those lefites (A-Rod can shut himself down) and the Tigers can jump out to a lead early in the game, I think the Tigers can quiet the crowd, stun the Yankees, and come home on Friday with a 1-1 split and take 2 at home. The Herniated Unit doesn't scare me at all in game 3, and if the Tigers go into game 4 with that momentum, I can see them pulling off the upset.

However, it wouldn't suprise me to see the Tigers get swept the way they've been playing.

One more bold prediction: This postseason will be Zumaya's coming out party to the rest of the world.
Image
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 856
Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:44 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:Reasons why the Tigers will have a hard time:

2)Going into the series on a bad stretch for the Tigers

7)Neifi Perez. Sorry, if he doesn't play, it doesn't matter, but I just had to include him.

The Tigers are underwhelming underdogs to those making their playoff picks, but do not count this team out. Honestly, I think if we have to face the Yankees, best get it out of the way now in a 5 game series. I cannot wait to watch the Tigers play some postseason baseball!


I heard on the radio that of the teams that stumbled in September but still made the play-offs, half won the WS.
Course, they never said anything about a team that sucked in August and September, then were swept at home by a AAA team.

Nefi has to be mentioned as a part of why the Tigers will struggle. Just that he occupies a roster spot indicates the lack of depth on the team. That he might play indicates a lack of intelligence on the manager of the year, Lucky (Strikes) Jim Leyland.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Postby ScarletP » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:25 pm

ScarletP wrote:One more bold prediction: This postseason will be Zumaya's coming out party to the rest of the world.


That was a whole lot of 100+ MPH pitches in one game.
Image
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 856
Joined: 20 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Sep. 14
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Washington at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Miami at Philadelphia
(1:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
Cincinnati at Milwaukee
(2:10 pm)
Boston at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(2:10 pm)
Colorado at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Atlanta at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at LA Angels
(3:35 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(4:05 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(4:10 pm)
Oakland at Seattle
(4:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Baltimore
(8:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact