Postby DeadWinterDay » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:38 am

mweir145 wrote:Alfonso Soriano.

Hands down.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:12 am

In the 14-team H2HWS, two guys have been the main reason I made it to the final:

Jim Thome (drafted 7th round)
Brandon Webb (9th round)

So call Thome the MVP & Webb the Cy Young! ;-)
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby dabum1 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:59 am

mvp: ryan howard

helped me alot thoughout entire season, but early september homerun surge helped me get though first round of playoffs. berkman is second

cy young: derek lowe

i came out of the draft knowing i didnt have a stud in my rotation. lowe and brett myers were my best pitchers. myers could probably also get this, but i felt more sure when lowe was starting.

also could give it to all the spot starters i used. my most used this year must've been boof bonser, scott baker, and byung hyun kim

best pickup off waiver wire: cole hamels

would be cy young for my team if he had pitched a full seasons worth of games. picked him up as soon as i could and had him for every start. brian mccann was another great pickup

best draft pick: garrett atkins

drafted way late. got just about what i expected out of him. i was expected about 25 homers, but only 80-90 runs/rbi

worst draft pick: jeremy hermida

more upset with how early i took hermida. i was too eager to draft him. overdrafted. his injury made it worse. another one that turned out bad was brad wilkerson.
dabum1
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TRIBEFAN888 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 am

2006 Most Valuable Player: Travis Hafner
His .308/100/42/117 in 129 games played is absolutley ridicilous and helped me dominate all year in the hitting catoglorys. He had been consistant all season long until the season ending hand injury.

Runners Up: Matt Holliday, Garrett Atkins, Chase Utley.

2006 Cy Young: Roy Halladay:
Scott Kazmir & Fransisco Liriano gave me better ratios, but went down on injurys. Halladay gave me a solid 220 innings with 16 wins, a 3.19 ERA and 1.10 WHIP.

Runners Up: Aaron Harrang, Billy Wagner, J.J. Putz.

2006 Rookie of the Year: Jonathon Broxton
It was a toss up between Cain, Hamels and Broxton, but I gave it to Broxton because he has been my top middle reliver of the year. His excelent ratios (2.63 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 96 K's in 75 IP) helped me lower my ERA & WHIP when I was getting close to the max IP mark. Since I picked him off the wire, I've got about 55 IP with a sub 2 ERA and WHIP aroud 1.00 with 80 K's or so.

Runners Up: Cole Hamels, Scott Olsen, Matt Cain, Fransisco Liriano.

Best Draft Pick of the Year: Matt Holliday, Round 6, 67th Overall I actually got made fun of for picking Holliday in the 6th round, but nobodys laughing now with a line of .328/119/34/114/10. Those are first round numbers folks!

Runners Up: Brian McCann Round 27, Frank Thomas Round 26, Chris Ray Round 23.

Best Trade of the Year: Noah Lowry, Johnny Gomes for Brandon Webb, Pat Burrell
Lowry & Gomes are sitting on the wavier wire now, and I ended up trading Burrell and Webb to other teams. When its all said and done, I traded Lowry(7 W, 84 K, 4.75/1.39) and Johny Gomes(.216/20/59) for Michael Young(.316/93/14/101/7) and J.J. Putz(2.36/0.92, 34 SV, 99 K.)

Runners Up: Jason Isringhausen, Bobby Crosby for Jimmy Rollins,
Kenny Lofton, Mike Maroth for John Lackey.

Worst Trade of the Year: Jimmy Rollins, Akinori Otsuka for Adam Dunn Even without Adam Dunns 40 home runs, I still would have lead the league in long balls. What he did was kill my average and stolen bases. I was platooning Kenny Lofton with Willy Taveras and ending up trading/dropping both to start Dunn. Lofton and Taveras together .285/160/4/70/63. Take in that I traded Rollins I would have added 5 points in stolen bases, and another point in average if I didnt do this trade. So in essence, this trade cost me 6 points.

Runners Up: Chris Ray for Willy Mo Pena, Barry Zito, Chris Young for Aramis Ramirez.
TRIBEFAN888
T-Ball Trainer

Postby TRIBEFAN888 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:29 am

2006 Most Valuable Player: Travis Hafner
His .308/100/42/117 in 129 games played is absolutley ridicilous and helped me dominate all year in the hitting catoglorys. He had been consistant all season long until the season ending hand injury.

Runners Up: Matt Holliday, Garrett Atkins, Chase Utley.

2006 Cy Young: Roy Halladay:
Scott Kazmir & Fransisco Liriano gave me better ratios, but went down on injurys. Halladay gave me a solid 220 innings with 16 wins, a 3.19 ERA and 1.10 WHIP.

Runners Up: Aaron Harrang, Billy Wagner, J.J. Putz.

2006 Rookie of the Year: Jonathon Broxton
It was a toss up between Cain, Hamels and Broxton, but I gave it to Broxton because he has been my top middle reliver of the year. His excelent ratios (2.63 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 96 K's in 75 IP) helped me lower my ERA & WHIP when I was getting close to the max IP mark. Since I picked him off the wire, I've got about 55 IP with a sub 2 ERA and WHIP aroud 1.00 with 80 K's or so.

Runners Up: Cole Hamels, Scott Olsen, Matt Cain, Fransisco Liriano.

Best Draft Pick of the Year: Matt Holliday, Round 6, 67th Overall I actually got made fun of for picking Holliday in the 6th round, but nobodys laughing now with a line of .328/119/34/114/10. Those are first round numbers folks!

Runners Up: Brian McCann Round 27, Frank Thomas Round 26, Chris Ray Round 23.

Best Trade of the Year: Noah Lowry, Johnny Gomes for Brandon Webb, Pat Burrell
Lowry & Gomes are sitting on the wavier wire now, and I ended up trading Burrell and Webb to other teams. When its all said and done, I traded Lowry(7 W, 84 K, 4.75/1.39) and Johny Gomes(.216/20/59) for Michael Young(.316/93/14/101/7) and J.J. Putz(2.36/0.92, 34 SV, 99 K.)

Runners Up: Jason Isringhausen, Bobby Crosby for Jimmy Rollins,
Kenny Lofton, Mike Maroth for John Lackey.

Worst Trade of the Year: Jimmy Rollins, Akinori Otsuka for Adam Dunn Even without Adam Dunns 40 home runs, I still would have lead the league in long balls. What he did was kill my average and stolen bases. I was platooning Kenny Lofton with Willy Taveras and ending up trading/dropping both to start Dunn. Lofton and Taveras together .285/160/4/70/63. Take in that I traded Rollins I would have added 5 points in stolen bases, and another point in average if I didnt do this trade. So in essence, this trade cost me 6 points.

Runners Up: Chris Ray for Willy Mo Pena, Barry Zito, Chris Young for Aramis Ramirez.
TRIBEFAN888
T-Ball Trainer

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:21 am

(tie) Matt Holliday. I picked him with my 2nd pick of a 15 team league that keeps 7 players per team.
Bill Hall. I got him in the 11th round of the same draft. Not very many players can give you 35 homers from the SS position, but luckily Bill Hall has given me exactly that this year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chris8 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:54 pm

chris8 wrote:In the 14-team H2HWS, two guys have been the main reason I made it to the final:

Jim Thome (drafted 7th round)
Brandon Webb (9th round)

So call Thome the MVP & Webb the Cy Young! ;-)

Not over yet, but if I manage to hold on and win the final, John Smoltz becomes my final MVP.

Check out this line over 2 weeks:

21 IP, 3 W, 18 K, 1.29 ERA, 1.24 WHIP

As most of my hitters have been sitting or slumping, I've been dependent on pitching, and Smoltz has been the ace up my sleeve, no mistake.

The best part? Didn't even draft him! I traded for him with a few weeks of the regular season left because I knew that I would need an extra arm in the playoffs. He's sure lived up to what I hoped for! ;-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby BritSox » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:13 pm

Most valuable player overall: Derek Jeter. Nuff said.
Best Draft Pick: Brian McCann in the 21st.
Cy Young award: I built a staff of solid, mid-tier starters, but Smoltz was probably the best.
Pickup that saved my season: Big Hurt in August. Carried me to, and through the first two rounds of, the playoffs with an insane hot streak.
Comeback player: Baldelli. Stored him on the DL for half a season, and he repaid me with a HOT couple of months.
Honourable Mention: Trevor Hoffman. Dependable as anything.*

*I reserve the right to rescind this if he costs me a championship by blowing a save today.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:24 pm

It's hard to single out an MVP, not just because I play in a boatload of leagues, but because I've had a few star-studded lineups and a lot of players have stepped up in such a big way too. Here are my fantasy awards:

Most Valuable Player: David Ortiz
He's been a driving force in two of my three H2H league championship teams all year long.
(Honorable Mention: Carlos Beltran)

2006 Cy Young: Roy Halladay
I had him in three of my leagues, including the 20-team H2HWS California. He was my most consistent ace all year, even if I was always meaning to dump him off for a big bat. I wound up trading Halladay for Vernon Wells at the trade deadline, a few weeks before he was sidelined for the year. That trade didn't do me much good in the end...because I coughed up now-red-hot Raul Ibanez on the side for Jose Contreras. :-P
(Honorable Mention: Johan Santana :-B)

2006 Rookie of the Year: Cole Hamels
My best move in H2HWS California by far was picking up Hamels off the WW. I stayed patient with him through the downtrodden times and he was a pivotal player down the stretch for me.
(Honorable Mention: Justin Verlander)

2006 Best Pickup: Hanley Ramirez
Hands down, my favorite pickup in my roto league. I picked up Hanley three days into the season and never let go. He carried me to a top 5 finish in SB's on a team originally drafted without a primary basestealer. A big reason why I locked up my roto title.
(Honorable Mention: Justin Morneau)

2006 Best Draft Steal: Matt Holliday
He was my favorite draft bargain this year, as I had him on three teams. On two, I had dealt him for a handsome return (one that included for Teixeira and Peavy). However, on the team I've retained him on is romping its way to the championship. Where did I get him? Well, he went as late as Round 10, Pick 9. :-D
(Honorable Mention: Scott Kazmir, Jeremy Bonderman, Justin Verlander, Francisco Liriano)

2006 Best Trade: Carlos Beltran, Roy Halladay, and Richie Sexson for Jim Thome, Nick Swisher, Javier Vazquez
I've turned in a lot of great deals this season, but when I got Beltran, Halladay, and Sexson, it was smooth sailing into the playoffs, from a fringe team into a first-round bye team into a championship team.
(Honorable Mention: Aramis Ramirez for Todd Helton)

2006 Worst Trade: None to speak of

2006 Finals MVP: Nomar Garciaparra
I'm not speaking this out of bias, but as my H2HWS California team has struggled offensively, Nomar has been one of the key contributors in keeping me afloat in contending for my offensive numbers. I could put down Andruw Jones, Matt Holliday, and Mark Teixeira, but Nomar posted a walkoff HR to sink the Pads, a walkoff grand slam to take down the D'Backs last Sunday, and a 2-run shot in a romp over the Rockies...all this while playing with two or three nagging, painful injuries. He surely helped my Dodgers and my fantasy team out the last couple of weeks. ;-D
(Honorable Mention: Richie Sexson - another big help in H2HWS California)

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers