Weakest Position Revisited: 2B, next OF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weakest Position Revisited: 2B, next OF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weakest Position Revisited: 2B, next OF

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:03 am

Looking back at the 2006 season (based on my final league positonal rankings and point totals), as many had predicted, it appears that 2B indeed was the weakest fantasy position, followed next by Outfielders.

Sure, one could say that the C position overall offensively was less valuable than 2B, however I believe there were alot of suprises at the catcher position, that made it somewhat productive in 2006. Relatively the C positon did better than expected with the likes of Willingham, Jojima, LoDuca, and even Piazza.

2B however, saw a bit of a separation of the pack by Soriano (eligible this season, shouldn't even be mentioned) and Utley. There was the great suprise of Uggla and Sanchez, but that is about it. Minus Soriano, Ray Durham was the #2 ranked 2B in my league, followed by Sanchez, Figgins, Roberts, Hudson, Uggla, Hall, Castillo, and Phillips. Yes even with Hall's 35 Hr's, in a points league his 160 strikeouts and lack of RBI's relative to the HRs reduced his value (this is why I like point h2h point league).

Outfielders, because there are more of them than any position, in relation to the the rest, were not overly productive, of which I noticed that it would be a week position when creating my rankings prior to drafting. Dye, Ibanez, Matthews, and Cuddyer were nice suprises that made the top 30 ranking of OF in my league, other than that OF produced as predicted for me, which was lacking as compared to previous seasons.

As far as pitching goes, the final rankings do not look anything like my preseason rankings, but this is expected from pitching, which year after year, I am learning to not pick pitchers as high as I do during the draft, except for a few pitchers, gems are availble mid season off the WW.
Last edited by Philliebuster on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:44 am

In general, I agree with a lot of your points, but it's important to remember that strongest/weakest depend on different league features and what we mean by those terms. Here are a couple different things to think about:

Here's how the different positions rank in terms of their median Yahoo 5x5 rank. I did this for mixed, 12 team, 14 team and 16 team leagues. In this case, the rank order was identical for 12, 14, and 16 team leagues. For OF, I assumed 3 OFs had to be played. The number in parentheses is the rank of the median player at that position:

12 team: 1b (32), SS (58), 3b (76), OF (79), 2b (108), C(238)
14 team: 1b (41), SS (68), 3b (78), OF (96), 2b (114), C (249)
Notice that in a 14 team OF and 3B are pretty close, while in a 14 team the gap widens. Solid mid-range players at 3B, where more of a dropoff in OF
16 team: 1b (58), SS (78), 3b (87), OF (116), 2b (131), C (280)

Another way to look at position strenght is at the peak performers. Here's how the positions rank according to the top 3 players (9 for OF) at that position. Numbers in () are the average rank of the top 3 guys. This is the same for all 3 leagues:

1b (4), OF (12), SS (13), 3b (20), 2b (32), C (127).
So, OF jumps from looking to be barely above 2b to being the second highest rated position. That seems to say to me that there's some really important separation between the elite OF and the average OF. So, downgrading its priority based on its average production might be a mistake.

Finally, another way to look at it would be how bad is the bottom. To look at this I looked at the average rank of the bottom 3 players at a position. This differs for each league because you are looking further down the list for the bigger leagues. So, here's how the positions rank in terms of what is basically an indication of their replacement level player. Number in () is the average for the bottom 3 guys:

12 team: 1b (92), 3b (102), SS (114), OF (159), 2b (166), C (298)
14 team: 1b (110), 3b (131), SS (141), OF (188), 2b (191), C (341)
16 team: 1b (125), 3b (150), SS (159), 2b (208), OF (209), C (366)
The depth at 3B and the drop-off in the bottom tier SS and OF is what stands out here.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:13 pm

Interesting numbers, nice work, thanks for geeking my point out for me. :-) And with the OF, I agree, there is a decent separation between the elite and average at that position, that was the problem, and then a significant dropoff. SS ranked fairly well I noticed with your numbers, which makes sense, because of the talent there this season, from what is a historically weak position.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:04 pm

just had a question why was Robinson Cano not even mentioned in any of the 2B disappointments and such...this guy had a DAMN good year...i mean he only had 474 ABs and look at these stats...

61 runs, 15 homers, 79 rbi, 4 sb, .342 average

most "everyday 2b men" averaged about 590 ABs so far this year (granted some went way over that and some were under that...so wil 600 abs for Cano this year his stat line would have read...

78 runs, 20 homers, 100 rbi, and around a .350 average...those stats really are not that terrible, and i consider him to be in that break away group with utley and soriano (in no way shape or form an i saying he is comparable to these cats, but he is a top 3 2b in my mind)...very good thread tho, i just didn't want to see this guy get left out but i believe 2b is by far the weakest position in the majors by far...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Philliebuster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:27 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:just had a question why was Robinson Cano not even mentioned in any of the 2B disappointments and such...this guy had a DAMN good year...i mean he only had 474 ABs and look at these stats...

61 runs, 15 homers, 79 rbi, 4 sb, .342 average

most "everyday 2b men" averaged about 590 ABs so far this year (granted some went way over that and some were under that...so wil 600 abs for Cano this year his stat line would have read...

78 runs, 20 homers, 100 rbi, and around a .350 average...those stats really are not that terrible, and i consider him to be in that break away group with utley and soriano (in no way shape or form an i saying he is comparable to these cats, but he is a top 3 2b in my mind)...very good thread tho, i just didn't want to see this guy get left out but i believe 2b is by far the weakest position in the majors by far...

Cano finished right behind Phillips in my rankings (total points), but mostly because of his lack of AB's due to his injury. Points wise his low BB total (18) and lack of Runs (61) hurt him a bit, but the average (hits) was great. I'm not about to put him at Utley status, possibly top 5 though. Looking at fantasy points per at bat:

Fairly standard points scoring:
Soriano - 0.77
Utley - 0.74
Durham - 0.82
Sanchez - 0.68
Figgins - 0.64
Cano - 0.69

So we can see that one can argue that Cano could be in the top 5 2B. I'm not sure I could have Durham ranked so high next season, but he was pretty darn productive (highest fantasy points/ab amongst 2B's). Not sure I could take Cano ahead of Figgy or Sanchez, but possible. Some may be inclined to take Uggla ahead of him. Cano hit the quietest .340 i've seen in a long time.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers