making or buying a kegerator? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

making or buying a kegerator?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

making or buying a kegerator?

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:24 pm

I am thinking of either buying one or making one. I assume making one would be a lot cheaper, but I don't know how easy it is for a novice craftsman to build one and if I could find a mini fridge suitable for one.

Anyone have experience with this?

I would like to start brewing my own beer as a hobby and I would like to keg it and have it at my disposal.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: making or buying a kegerator?

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:37 pm

Phatferd wrote:I am thinking of either buying one or making one. I assume making one would be a lot cheaper, but I don't know how easy it is for a novice craftsman to build one and if I could find a mini fridge suitable for one.

Anyone have experience with this?

I would like to start brewing my own beer as a hobby and I would like to keg it and have it at my disposal.

My friend bought one in college, and it completely had paid for itself by the time he graduated. If you drink a lot of beer, it doesn't seem like a bad investment.

As far as making one is concerned, I have no idea.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:43 pm

My roommates and I made one in college; we got an old fridge from one of my roommate's relatives... it was full size and painted a gross green color, but we cut a hole in the side of it and bought a "kegerator kit" for about $200 on ebay (as opposed to over $500 for a full system with mini fridge). The system consisted of a CO2 tank, a keg topper, hoses and a tap that we stuck through the hole in the side of the fridge. We rigged up a drip tray and away we went.

Most we could fit in our place was about 50, but it still paid for itself in no time. Try going the fridge + system route. Sometimes you can find cheap old fridges in the classifieds and on craigslist.

This site might be helpful.
http://www.realbeer.com/edu/kegerator/
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:47 pm

Coppermine wrote:My roommates and I made one in college; we got an old fridge from one of my roommate's relatives... it was full size and painted a gross green color, but we cut a hole in the side of it and bought a "kegerator kit" for about $200 on ebay (as opposed to over $500 for a full system with mini fridge). The system consisted of a CO2 tank, a keg topper, hoses and a tap that we stuck through the hole in the side of the fridge. We rigged up a drip tray and away we went.

Most we could fit in our place was about 50, but it still paid for itself in no time. Try going the fridge + system route. Sometimes you can find cheap old fridges in the classifieds and on craigslist.

This site might be helpful.
http://www.realbeer.com/edu/kegerator/

I am moving back home in December and I will have an extra fridge, but I would have to pay for a moving truck which is a few hundred bucks back to SoCal.

I just think a mini fridge would be a lot easier to deal with and take up less space obviously.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:33 pm

Definitly make it. Much better deal..you will save a ton!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:49 pm

i would buy one. sure, you might save a few hundred bucks, but at least you know it will be done right, and you can spend those hours it would take to build throwing back a few cold ones
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i would buy one. sure, you might save a few hundred bucks, but at least you know it will be done right, and you can spend those hours it would take to build throwing back a few cold ones

But building it's half the fun!
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:08 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i would buy one. sure, you might save a few hundred bucks, but at least you know it will be done right, and you can spend those hours it would take to build throwing back a few cold ones

I agree, if I do get one I am going to build it. I am trying to talk my buddy into getting one too so we can buy a 1/2 barrel keg and split it up so it would be A LOT cheaper.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Old_Style » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:27 pm

Coppermine wrote:

hell, throw back a few while building it....it's always better constructing something while you're half in the bag.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:47 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

hell, throw back a few while building it....it's always better constructing something while you're half in the bag.

Agreed...men build stuff
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk