I'm buying a new car - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm buying a new car

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm buying a new car

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:12 pm

So I'm gonna say goodbye to my 1994 Mitz Montero. It's starting to need for and I'm afraid its gonna blow up driving to the mountains every weekend.

So far I've narrowed my choices to:

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X 4 doors!!

http://www.jeep.com/en/wranglers/

and my wildcard which I probably won't get.

Saturn Vue Hybrid Green Line:

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/vehicles/vue/overview.jsp

Now they both are around 22-25k

I've never bargained with a sales guy before. How do I do that. Also I won't be buying immediately. Should I go to the dealership act interested a few times before buying?

Any tips would be appreciated.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:18 pm

First of all, if you don't know a lot about cars, take someone who does. Do a lot of research about the dealership first. If their garage is full of their cars, might make a mental note. As far as haggling, don't assume anything and be capable of walking out at any time. You can always come back. Oh, and if there's other dealerships close-by, tell the salesman to wait, you're going to go check out their cars and prices real quick. He'll be ready to shine your shoes when you get back.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:23 pm

I know the Jeep rag tops are loud on the inside as you might could figure.
also if you don't plan get muddy (intentinonally) the saturn is a better and more economical vehicle.

But the jeep is way cooler to tool around in.

as for haggling, give it try. Ever see a show called king of cars on A&E that'll give you good insight on what to expect.

Go in with a price in mind. and get them to start giving you stuff free like lot fees, dealer tax.
Go on the internet and see if there are any internet deals.

Be prepared to spend 4 or 5 hours at the dealership when you actually buy the vehicle.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: I'm buying a new car

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:25 pm

acsguitar wrote:So I'm gonna say goodbye to my 1994 Mitz Montero. It's starting to need for and I'm afraid its gonna blow up driving to the mountains every weekend.

I've never bargained with a sales guy before. How do I do that. Also I won't be buying immediately. Should I go to the dealership act interested a few times before buying?

My dad used to be a carsalesman and he always told me to walk into a dealership and ask to see the invoice of the car, if they don't want to give it to you then leave, you'll find someone who is willing to show you one.

Then start negotiating a fair price for the both of you. What you need to realize is they get incentives from the corporate company for selling cars, so even if you theoretically bought it for the exact same price they paid, they will make a profit after incentives. I would suggest starting at a hundred or two over cost and see how cheap he is willing to go.

This worked when I bought my car last month. I bought an '06 civic (40mpg highway!!) for $18,700, they paid $18,300 for it and civics are really popular so they didn't need to go that low because the car would sell itself a day or two later.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:26 pm

3 run homer wrote:I know the Jeep rag tops are loud on the inside as you might could figure.
also if you don't plan get muddy (intentinonally) the saturn is a better and more economical vehicle.

But the jeep is way cooler to tool around in.

as for haggling, give it try. Ever see a show called king of cars on A&E that'll give you good insight on what to expect.

Go in with a price in mind. and get them to start giving you stuff free like lot fees, dealer tax.
Go on the internet and see if there are any internet deals.

Be prepared to spend 4 or 5 hours at the dealership when you actually buy the vehicle.

Nice and I drive in colorado so yes I will get muddy...and its sunny and warm here alot so a convertible would be nice! ;-D
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Re: I'm buying a new car

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:46 pm

Phatferd wrote:
acsguitar wrote:So I'm gonna say goodbye to my 1994 Mitz Montero. It's starting to need for and I'm afraid its gonna blow up driving to the mountains every weekend.

My dad used to be a carsalesman and he always told me to walk into a dealership and ask to see the invoice of the car, if they don't want to give it to you then leave, you'll find someone who is willing to show you one.

Then start negotiating a fair price for the both of you. What you need to realize is they get incentives from the corporate company for selling cars, so even if you theoretically bought it for the exact same price they paid, they will make a profit after incentives. I would suggest starting at a hundred or two over cost and see how cheap he is willing to go.

This worked when I bought my car last month. I bought an '06 civic (40mpg highway!!) for $18,700, they paid $18,300 for it and civics are really popular so they didn't need to go that low because the car would sell itself a day or two later.

Awesome thanks!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:50 pm

I have a Jeep and it's a gas guzzler so hopefuly your commute isn't long. They are very cool tho.

I would suggest trying a website first like carsdirect.com before you go into a dealer.

EDIT: Also, if you have a trade-in, negotiate the new car first and when you guys agree on the price, then bring in the trade-in. Finally, I bought my Jeep for 0% financing. Nothing beats borrowing money for free... ;-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby 3 run homer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:14 pm

Yoda wrote:I have a Jeep and it's a gas guzzler so hopefuly your commute isn't long. They are very cool tho.

I would suggest trying a website first like carsdirect.com before you go into a dealer.

EDIT: Also, if you have a trade-in, negotiate the new car first and when you guys agree on the price, then bring in the trade-in. Finally, I bought my Jeep for 0% financing. Nothing beats borrowing money for free... ;-D

bettter check the fine print, usually it's like 0% financing for 18 months then it's 24% or something ridiculous. And as I recall, a trade in is usually one of the first questions they ask. but the idea is solid.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gfantasy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm actually looking at Used Wranglers...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:25 pm

USAA my insurance company rules.

They will finance me for 6.4% (decent)

But also they will find my car and negotiate a price for me. Reviews say that this is the way to go if you suck at negotiating or hate it.

Me and me

So I'm gonna try to do that. I don't mind the gas guzzling that much. I guess
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk